Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Big Muscle I thought it would be good to let you know. I'm having a problem, when I put my laptop into sleep mode then wake it up, the mouse and system freezes every few seconds then unfreezes then freezes, over and over again every 3 seconds. I have to restart the computer to fix the problem. It only does this when aero glass is enabled and I put the computer into sleep mode then wake it up out of sleep. I turned off the program, aero glass, and tested sleep, woke it back up, and I'm not having any freeze unfreeze situations so I know having aero glass enabled when sleeping the pc then waking it up triggers this. I don't know what you could do to fix this bug but I thought I'd inform you. Its great you have so much dedication to this project though, I really enjoy using it and I am not having any other issues with it on my part.

Specs.

Lenovo Ideapad z565, ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics. Windows 8 Pro

Edited by shaneblack

Was it my imagination or did somewhere in the 90 pages it mention a reg item to highlight the titlebar text at some point?

This transparency / blur is lovely, but I can't read the title bar text quite a bit due to stupid MS setting it in black. Would be nice to have the 'glow' effect on the text, or be able to make the text white.

I don't particularly want to run a ThemePatcher and an entire custom theme just to change this, would be magical if this program had the choice of white/black title bar text and/or glow text.

Thanks.

I agreed with you bphlpt! Just a simple bold post on page 1 under drawbacks about the popup would be a big help,

and stop a lot of unnecessary posts about it for the uptenth time ..then we can concentrate on the real purpose of

posting on this thread for testing and feedback..DP

Hello!

I Have a problem...

How to remove popup window :

"This Is Demo version of Aero Glass for Win8 v0.92

!!! USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!" ?

post-378303-0-95599800-1369245816_thumb.

You cannot remove the popup window. It will be removed when the project is officially released as, I assume, v1.0 or greater. In the meantime, as the popup window explains, this project is meant for testing purposes ONLY, not for continuous regular use. Try it out and report any issues that you have in detail, except for complaints about the popup window of course.

EDIT: @bigmuscle, I know this has been mentioned before, but for the benefit of brand new users members here who only read the OP then DL the app, it would probably help head posts like this off to post this kind of info in bold, underlined text, preferably flashing if possible LOL, in the OP. I thought the info was already there, and it is implied, but it could be made clearer. Just my opinion.

Cheers and Regards

Was it my imagination or did somewhere in the 90 pages it mention a reg item to highlight the titlebar text at some point?

This transparency / blur is lovely, but I can't read the title bar text quite a bit due to stupid MS setting it in black. Would be nice to have the 'glow' effect on the text, or be able to make the text white.

I don't particularly want to run a ThemePatcher and an entire custom theme just to change this, would be magical if this program had the choice of white/black title bar text and/or glow text.

Thanks.

It's something fixed in the theme, so I don't think there is any way around it except for theme patching. I used the uxstyle (not uxtheme!) with this theme and it works fine. No direct patching of system files.

BM is there any way for you to add the W7 compatibility option Disable desktop composition? I understand it's probably not high priority for you right now, but it would be great if you could look at it sometime later. I have plenty of games that don't play nice with it on.

Hello!

I Have a problem...

How to remove popup window :

!!! USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!" ?

post-378303-0-95599800-1369245816_thumb.

EDIT: @bigmuscle, I know this has been mentioned before, but for the benefit of brand new users members here who only read the OP then DL the app, it would probably help head posts like this off to post this kind of info in bold, underlined text, preferably flashing if possible LOL, in the OP. I thought the info was already there, and it is implied, but it could be made clearer. Just my opinion.

Or, easier:

!!! USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

This popup will not be removed until the final release"

:)

Hey BigMuscle, when are you going to start working on Flip 3D for Windows 8. At this point, I am stuck with this imitator called WinFlip. Download securely at http://winflip.en.softonic.com/download

Woah, someone actually uses that feature?

Edited by inighthawki

Woah, someone actually uses that feature?

I used it in windows 7, when I remembered it was there. Most of the time I didn't use it. Now I'm on Windows 8 I forgot it isn't there.

I had a strange problem today with custom themes, maybe its just me but I installed uxstyle and used some themes, they worked great until today when all the sudden they stopped working. I rebooted and windows 8 wouldn't load the screen just kept flashing. I used SHIFT+F8 to get into advanced startup and restored windows 8 to an earlier date to fix the problem. I won't have that, Windows 8 makes all my stuff work so I won't stand for things breaking it.

That strange problem I had with my system freezing and unfreezing went away that I mentioned in my previous posts above, I thought it was related to aero glass tool. But if someone could provide me a guide to post the debug info then maybe I can get help and see if everything is working correctly.

Edited by shaneblack

Thanks.

It's not a direct fix, but I'd recommend using Windows 8 Release Preview's Aero theme. You can find it easily enough doing a Google search, and since it's from Microsoft anyways, you don't need to install any 3rd party tool for it to work: just copy it over to the Themes folder and you're set. It looks much better than the current Windows 8 Aero, anyways.

As mentioned, it's done by certain theme resources being composited behind the text. But you don't need a "theming" package to change this.

BigMuscle has provided a way to have the Aero Glass for Win8 package load a custom set of theme resources from a PNG file. All you have to do is put a copy of a theme PNG resource file on your system in a readable location, e.g., the same place you put the DWMGlass.dll file, then add this registry entry to your registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"CustomThemeResource"="C:\\YourPath\\AlternateTheme.png"

Make sure to use the double backslashes to escape slashes in the path.

Several of us have made theme resource PNGs to add text highlighting and other things like better drop shadows around Windows. Here's mine:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/AlternateTheme.png

The good part about this is it requires absolutely no modification of the system files, so things like SFC still think the system is healthy.

-Noel

BM is there any way for you to add the W7 compatibility option Disable desktop composition? I understand it's probably not high priority for you right now, but it would be great if you could look at it sometime later. I have plenty of games that don't play nice with it on.

I think this is beyond the scope of this application and I admit that I don't know how to achieve this. If I kill DWM, it is restarted immediately. If I force it not to be restarted (or frozen immediately after startup), the screen won't be drawn at all.

Hey BigMuscle, when are you going to start working on Flip 3D for Windows 8. At this point, I am stuck with this imitator called WinFlip. Download securely at http://winflip.en.softonic.com/download

This is low priority feature so if it happens, it will take long time...

I think this is beyond the scope of this application and I admit that I don't know how to achieve this. If I kill DWM, it is restarted immediately. If I force it not to be restarted (or frozen immediately after startup), the screen won't be drawn at all.

Actually, I was able to kill DWM by using PsSuspend to suspend WinLogin.exe (which suspending prevents DWM to restart) and then killing it. I highly recommend using Windows 7's explorer since the start screen (which uses DWM to animate) covers the Primary Monitor in Windows 8's Explorer when you kill DWM. Here is the Bat file code:

To Kill:

@echo off
echo DWM KillCode for Windows 8. FOR TESTING PORPOSES ONLY!
pause
pssuspend.exe winlogon.exe
taskkill /IM dwm.exe /F

To Resurrect:

@echo off
pause
pssuspend.exe -r winlogon.exe
dwm.exe

Source Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkGDcNgm2Y

post-373381-0-81537900-1369423976_thumb.

Edited by WindowsOS