Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Question:

Why is the software involved with the crypto interface?

Example, from the log:

>[0xB70] Delayed hook (CRYPTSP.dll!CryptVerifySignatureW from uxtheme.dll) installed

>[0xB70] Hook (api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll!ReadFile from uxtheme.dll) installed

-Noel

Windows Theme service uses Crypto API for verifying theme signature. If it does not match (any custom theme) then the theme is not loaded by the system. Just a simple trick to always return true from this function :whistle:

for me taskmanager works. Which issue do you have?

It shows the frame of the minimal taskmanger with nothing in it, as soon as the fade in animation completes, it closes.

It shows the frame of the minimal taskmanger with nothing in it, as soon as the fade in animation completes, it closes.

can you make some pictures or videos? I have no idea what you mean.

Btw, the Windg issue is still there. strange that it worked with the other dump I opened 2 hours ago :unsure:

Windows Theme service uses Crypto API for verifying theme signature. If it does not match (any custom theme) then the theme is not loaded by the system. Just a simple trick to always return true from this function :whistle:

Ah, got it. Thanks. :)

-Noel

ok I ended up with black screen. I reset but there is still black screen. Frankly I was afraid. I used shift+ F8 menu to bring back. Thats enough for me :) Thank you anyway sir :)

Sorry mate, maybe I should not try to help in future, the installer had options for x86 or x64, maybe you selected the wrong one, who knows, just wait for the final version.

No its not about you sir. I did downloaded to x64 version however I encountered with a unknown problem which ended up with black screen. Still dont know what the real problem is. I decided not to mess with it :) There is nothing related with you sir :) You did what a responsive user should do :)

does this mean I can use custom themes without patching uxtheme dlls? Is this feature working with the RC3?

Uninstalled uxstyle and yes, I can apply custom themes when using RC3 :D

Yep I uninstalled it as well now, just hope nothing breaks Aero Glass and we end up with a black screen on boot.

If you have any non-working application (e.g. WinDBG etc.), could you provide exact step how to reproduce it after clean installation of that application? I will try to install it to see what's wrong. But currently I don't see any reason why changes in DWM should influence any application.

And please, verify that it does not happen when DWMGlass.dll is not loaded.

Btw, don't rely on custom themes much now, it has not been properly tested and I don't intend to modify it more before 1.0 release. For example, I don't know what happens when something in uxinit.dll is changed to break this function, i.e. control panel loads theme correctly but verifying on Windows startup fails - will it automatically switch to default Windows theme or what?

Edited by bigmuscle

BigMuscle, perhaps you should consider making overriding the theme signature verification logic optional in your final release. I for one would be happy just using just the button, etc. graphic resource override capability.

I think that hooks that circumvent system protections at run time might not be well-received by folks concerned with security and using their computers for serious things. I know, it's kind of a gray area - i.e., where do you draw the line for how much you choose to override, since overriding the theme resources is practically necessary.

-Noel