Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

So far, so good. Unfortunately, those thumbnails when the Desktop app is snapped does not have blur, or any transparency whatsoever. A similar glitch occurs when there is no blur when you are switching from the desktop to a Modern app, or entering/exiting the Start Screen. It only affects the moniter which the Modern app uses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz1z6ig0os0ascc/Aero%20Glass%20Snip%2020%20%26%2021.zip

Noone has a clue about fixing this black screen issue? re-installing again without knowing what causes it is out of question.

Do you use custom theme or something? Are you sure that it is Aero Glass related? I must say one thing - it happened again to me now. Same scenario - restored from sleep and after some time I got "Not enough memory" error which was followed by black screen after a while. I restarted and ended up with black screen. But again, Aero Glass was not active at all. Just was using MS-signed Win8 RP theme.

Just out of curiosity, what graphic cards are you gents (related to the black screen) using?

Maybe it is just a driver problem and not really related to Glass.

I also faced that issue and after i downlaoded the latest graphic card drivers off my manufactors homepage i fixed that issue.

I was using the graphic card drivers windows delivered me due updates before.

It's worth a try - good luck.

BTW:

I can't wait to see the final release of this awesome tool coming :)

NoelC, hmm...there are some things I like about your theme and some things I don't like.

Positives: I like the dropdown shadows around the window frame and I like the frame itself

Negatives: I dislike the rounded window frame corners and the caption buttons.

Thanks for the feedback. Not everyone is going to like the same things of course. I happen to like it very much, and it grows on me more each day I use it, mostly because it's kind of subtle and stays mostly out of the way. The beauty of BigMuscle's package is that not everyone has to see things the exact same way - the opposite of what Micorosft clearly wants.

I don't care for Microsoft's "Digitally Authentic" (BS) thrust. To me the window elements have to be pleasing but also stay out of the way of real work. It's subtly easier to tell the corner of a window from the corner of a client area or control when the hint of rounding is there.

It's important to note that it's not a full theme, but just a replacement of the Windows 8 Aero graphic elements via BigMuscle's interpretation of the CustomThemeResource registry value.

-Noel

I think you're looking at some bad hardware or drivers if you can't handle low power states properly. Theres nothing wrong with Windows' sleep/hibernate modes.

Well yes, that's part of it, and the fact that drivers made by who-knows-who and of unknown quality make up part of each and every operating system is why the general advice to avoid sleep, etc. is sound. Nobody said your system HAS to succumb to problems if you use it, but generally speaking people will have fewer problems if they don't.

But the second part of the issue is very real, and you have it as much as anyone else. That is, heating/cooling cycles stress the hardware. I have 37 years experience in the computer industry; leaving hardware on and at a more or less constant temperature is FAR better for it than powering it down.

-Noel

I think you're looking at some bad hardware or drivers if you can't handle low power states properly. Theres nothing wrong with Windows' sleep/hibernate modes.

Well yes, that's part of it, and the fact that drivers made by who-knows-who and of unknown quality make up part of each and every operating system is why the general advice to avoid sleep, etc. is sound. Nobody said your system HAS to succumb to problems if you use it, but generally speaking people will have fewer problems if they don't.

But the second part of the issue is very real, and you have it as much as anyone else. That is, heating/cooling cycles stress the hardware. I have 37 years experience in the computer industry; leaving hardware on and at a more or less constant temperature is FAR better for it than powering it down.

-Noel

How old are you? 55 at least...

Edited by CKyHC

And one more thing on my mind. Maybe someone has the same experience - in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup and CTRL key didn't help (and neither system restore helped). But the important thing is that Aero Glass was not active at this time at all, so it seems that some Windows update was the cause.

Maybe, that is the cause: http://support.micro...b/2850674/en-us?

And one more thing on my mind. Maybe someone has the same experience - in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup and CTRL key didn't help (and neither system restore helped). But the important thing is that Aero Glass was not active at this time at all, so it seems that some Windows update was the cause.

Interesting. So some unlucky people might have their computer rendered unbootable by no fault of their own, and there is no fix? (except, of course, a backup image on a whole separate hard drive, which everyone has)

-Noel

I think you're overgeneralizing how bad drivers are from third parties. I would highly advise against your advise of just leaving your PC running all the time if the argument is about sleep or hibernate "not working properly." As for the heating/cooling thing, I've never encountered an issue with such a thing, and you have more industry experience than I do, so I'm sure you've seen it happen more, but I sincerely doubt that it's that big a deal for the majority of users. The difference in core temp jumps more when i start playing a game than it does when I go from normal usage to sleep mode (ambient room temperature). If this was really that big of an issue I think it would be a more widespread concern.

I would highly advise against your advise of just leaving your PC running all the time if the argument is about sleep or hibernate "not working properly."

Actually, my advice is to take the time to shut it down and boot it up if you really don't have things that need the computer up all the time (such as backups that run late at night). But for professional computer use, there's no substitute for leaving it on and running.

As I mentioned, not everyone is going to have problems, but those who really, really need computers to be rock solid reliable look to minimize risk factors. These are the kinds of folks who pay more for ECC, have redundant RAID arrays, do regular backups, etc.

-Noel

I would highly advise against your advise of just leaving your PC running all the time if the argument is about sleep or hibernate "not working properly."

Actually, my advice is to take the time to shut it down and boot it up if you really don't have things that need the computer up all the time (such as backups that run late at night). But for professional computer use, there's no substitute for leaving it on and running.

As I mentioned, not everyone is going to have problems, but those who really, really need computers to be rock solid reliable look to minimize risk factors. These are the kinds of folks who pay more for ECC, have redundant RAID arrays, do regular backups, etc.

-Noel

I think that is a fair point. For the average user though, I don't really see any advantage of shutting down versus sleep mode. Especially with the low power states available in modern CPUs with almost no power draw and nearly instant resume, the convenience becomes far more beneficial than any negligible improvement you'd get in reliability. I have put my computer to sleep every day for about 3 years, and it's still rock solid and reliable every day. The PC I had before that, same deal for a few years prior. Not an issue and still works to this day. I have a laptop which I used for almost 5 years without ever shutting off at all. Closest it got was reboots for updates. Everything else was sleep mode. Minus the battery being dead due to age, the laptop still works fine :).

So yes, for someone super hardcore that needs absolute guaranteed reliability. Then perhaps it makes sense. I don't know enough about what kind of wear and tear it would actually cause by shutting down, my area of expertise is not in hardware reliability or maintenence. I still believe that sleep mode poses far too many benefits that outweigh any potential gain you would get by leaving the PC running of shutting it down completely, though.

Interesting. So some unlucky people might have their computer rendered unbootable by no fault of their own, and there is no fix? (except, of course, a backup image on a whole separate hard drive, which everyone has)

Were there patched theme files in play here? If Microsoft updates components that touch any patched files, it may only be able to load digitally signed files (themes) and thus DWM will fail to properly initialize without theme data. It occurred with a windows update that happened a while back, I imagine it could theoretically happen again...

As bigmuscle and the link that alexd2w posted said, this is apparently a known bug in Win8 that has nothing at all to do with any theme of any kind, patched or not, and nothing at all to do with Aero Glass or DWM. And MS in all their wisdom currently has no work around for this but plans to release some kind of two stage fix over June and July. In the meantime, NoelC's suggestion to not use sleep mode might well be advised.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I have installed this fantastic peace of software into my Windows 8 pro and WIndows 8 home versions and even on my server 2012 test environement.

I have found out that the text (for example run window) is with a little white color behind, since it is not easy for me, i took a screenshot of both cases. Every time it is the black command prompt which is behind to have the same background color.

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/92130078/file.html

Edited by gontie