Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

When I disabled Aero(RC3) through RegEdit (LoadAppInit_DLLs set to 0) and restarted, I got the black screen. The only way I recovered my laptop was by Refreshing the OS. I was using a custom theme, without any other uxtheme patch or service.

Here are my debug.log for that system (Intel HD 3000).

Here's debug.log from my other system which is working fine without any problem (nVidia 9500GT).

Edited by Rayn19

Rayn19: it is normal behaviour - custom theme fails to load when you don't bypass theme signature verification. nothing to do. Also other solution such as uxtheme patch or uxstyle has completely same problem - when you apply custom theme and then disable the software (or just windows update break something), DWM will fail.

On the other side, no need to refresh the OS. It is enough to boot into recovery console, run regedit, connect your registry and change the theme manually back.

Edited by bigmuscle

Rayn19: it is normal behaviour - custom theme fails to load when you don't bypass theme signature verification. nothing to do. Also other solution such as uxtheme patch or uxstyle has completely same problem - when you apply custom theme and then disable the software (or just windows update break something), DWM will fail.

On the other side, no need to refresh the OS. It is enough to boot into recovery console, run regedit, connect your registry and change the theme manually back.

On Windows Vista, it would revert to Windows Classic.

On Windows 7, it would revert to the Windows 7 Aero theme.

I thought that Windows 8 would have this go to the Windows 8 "basic" visual style (the same kind used in the high contrast themes).

The reason I say this is because when I had the Windows 8 Enterprise trial in a VM, I did something really sneaky and deleted both the aero.msstyles and aerolite.msstyles, and what Windows 8 did was recreate them in their respective folders (I deleted them in the recovery command prompt, when they weren't loaded) and loaded the basic theme.

Why won't Windows 8 do that here? You would think that MS would have wanted more resiliency than that in their OS. So someone just needs to modify the aero.mssyles file, and the computer is broken?

And I also wonder why exactly Microsoft is so hell-bent on making Windows restricted to just their themes. Why not just open up msstyles development as a selling point for the OS? After all, it is a personal computer, right?

Thanks for your answer.

What do i need to do if on both computers, it is the default theme that is installed.

By the looks of the border around the screenshot, the Release Preview style button and text glow, you are using the AGTweaker Custom Resource. Try using AGTweaker or RegEdit to disable it.

This is a bit off topic, but I think I know what happens during the black screen loop. What happens is a cycle of DWM failing and WinLogin trying to reload it. I found out by suspending WinLogin and applying the Consumer Preview theme.

Edited by WindowsOS

On Windows Vista, it would revert to Windows Classic.

On Windows 7, it would revert to the Windows 7 Aero theme.

I thought that Windows 8 would have this go to the Windows 8 "basic" visual style (the same kind used in the high contrast themes).

It does not happen here. Also as I mentioned above, the failure is not actually dependent on currently selected theme but on the theme stored in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key. And I have not found when the value is updated there. Maybe the workaround would be changing the permission of this key so nobody can change theme in there.

The reason I say this is because when I had the Windows 8 Enterprise trial in a VM, I did something really sneaky and deleted both the aero.msstyles and aerolite.msstyles, and what Windows 8 did was recreate them in their respective folders (I deleted them in the recovery command prompt, when they weren't loaded) and loaded the basic theme.

I remember similar behaviour for all system files in older Windows versions - when you deleted or patched some system file, it was automatically restored to the original version in a while. It seems that it does not happen anymore. But basic theme is used only when desktop composition is not loaded which is very hard to do in Win8.

Oh, BTW is there any way to disable custom theme support in RC3, as the debug.log is only getting filled with:

[0x480] Failed to load custom theme file (0x80070002)

I am using UxStyle, so that I don't end up with another black screen.

Rayn19

Aero Glass for Win8 RC3, and UxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64, work fine together with "LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000.

http://uxstyle.com/

I previously had Uxstyle in my system, I was just testing the custom theme support in RC3, when black screen happened.

Edited by Rayn19

No, it is not possible to disable it. Also message "Failed to load custom theme file" has nothing to do with this bypassing of theme signature verification. It means that it failed to load custom theme resource which you have specified manually in the registry.

No, it is not possible to disable it. Also message "Failed to load custom theme file" has nothing to do with this bypassing of theme signature verification. It means that it failed to load custom theme resource which you have specified manually in the registry.

Is it because of UxStyle? I prevously never had this error when I installed it with RC3.

You've probably made some mistake on entering the path into the registry. One common error is to forget that in some circunstances, the backslashes must be doubled. I'm not saying that is precisely the mistake you've made, because my crystal ball is out for maintenance (again!), so this is just one example of one (out of many) possible mistake.

Is it because of UxStyle? I prevously never had this error when I installed it with RC3.

Nope, it has nothing to do with ux* something, msstyles theme, bypassing verification etc. It is just because you have set invalid path to your custom theme resource.

Nope, it has nothing to do with ux* something, msstyles theme, bypassing verification etc. It is just because you have set invalid path to your custom theme resource.

Oh ****! I accidently deleted my custom theme resource, that was the reason for the error. :D

I remember similar behaviour for all system files in older Windows versions - when you deleted or patched some system file, it was automatically restored to the original version in a while. It seems that it does not happen anymore. But basic theme is used only when desktop composition is not loaded which is very hard to do in Win8.

I don't mean that it disables desktop composition, it actually uses the aerolite.msstyles theme with DWM enabled.