Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Basically, it's another case of a false positive (hence the .generic suffix), but any decent antivirus allows you to add a suspicious program to your exception list if you trust it.

GRU,

If you are using a UEFI system, then you must turn off secure boot in your BIOS before you try this.

That does not apply in a VM.

BTW this also helped me. Never expected anything like this to be a reason.

Disabled "secure boot" - everything works.

It still requires an exception in AnitVirus soft to be made in order to successfully add registry values, but then it works. What the?...

The reality is that even WindowBlinds use DLL injection. Also my opinion us that LoadAppInit_DLLs is one of the most secure injection because you can check what is really injected. There are much "worse" ways which you cannot control at all.

There are, of course. But thing is, AV Suites AND, as it turned out, even the UEFI (bios) itself, tend to block this key (like in my case) without regards to "worse ways". Malware being what is...

Just in case, have you considered adding an exe-file launcher (akin to the one you had back in v.0.6) to the final release, for people like myself, with a little paranoid AV suites and UEFI bios-es? (Those are becoming more and more standard this days.)

I must admit (although I understand why this happens), it's "a little bit strange" having to change bios settings just to be able to run a small app. It's OK while it's in "beta"\"testing" stage, but will be a major issue for release users who don't expect having to do anything like this.

Thanks again for this amazing tool! :)

Perhaps when AeroGlass goes live and a installer is created, exceptions for virus, firewall etc can be added ..but in meantime you can just copy your exception from the registry once created and add it as you install Aero Glass next time..DP

It still requires an exception in AnitVirus soft to be made in order to successfully add registry values, but then it works

Perhaps when AeroGlass goes live and a installer is created, exceptions for virus, firewall etc can be added ..but in meantime you can just copy your exception from the registry once created and add it as you install Aero Glass next time..DP

Sure, but I'm actually more concerned about having to disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS\UEFI (since it happened to be the real cause of the problem).

No problem for me, but I'll understand if a lot of people will be scared away by this. Anything regarding "bios" and "safety" in the context of "disable" is a spooky lot for many, can't blame 'em.

Well your problem is right there in your post.

I've put all the files uncompressed from DWMHook094-64.7z to C:/DWM ,and changed the LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg as

'

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001

"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\AeroGlass\\DWMGlass.dll"

"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

You should have the following

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001

"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"

"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

Actually, when importing directories into the registry using a .reg file, you need TWO backslashes.

"AppInit_DLLs="C:\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"

Im pretty sure it makes a difference.

GRU,

If you are using a UEFI system, then you must turn off secure boot in your BIOS before you try this.

That does not apply in a VM.

Great!I follow your instructions:

Edit the line into:'

"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"

'

and import the .reg;

then reboot to BIOS,turn of the secure boot.

It works~

BIG THANKS~

TRLfsiK.jpg

whoah! I think I actually almost got this to work... I have it right now to where windows will experience aero when the window is inactive. Here, check this out: http://postimg.org/image/rgre44m5h/full/

As you can see the "personalization" window has aero, but is inactive, whereas the active "pictures" window just appears solid... I have not tried to change the theme as I have no idea where to get a good windows 7 looking theme and I heard windows 8 doesn't accept external themes or something. Oh, and by the way, the taskbar is completely solid and the start menu of startisback is solid too.

I tried WindowBlinds 8 and was a fair bit disappointed with that =/

So anyway maybe someone can point me in the right direction now...

Edited by odysseyofnoises

odysseyofnoises: if you look at your picture properly then you can notice that active window and taskbar are not completely solid all. They are nicely transparent just with high level of the opacity. You change the opacity in Colors control panel.

Sure, but I'm actually more concerned about having to disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS\UEFI (since it happened to be the real cause of the problem).

No problem for me, but I'll understand if a lot of people will be scared away by this. Anything regarding "bios" and "safety" in the context of "disable" is a spooky lot for many, can't blame 'em.

You cannot do anything about this. It is how Aero Glass works by design and it will not probably change. If anyone intends to use any kind of application, he should ensure that any other software (e.g. antivirus) does not prevent him from using it. Nothing to be done with it - there is million possibilites and million one probabilities that some application will block any of the possibilities and it is impossible to catch all of them. And about secure boot...yes, it is sad but we must live with that - it is how Win8 works - secure boot on = no DLL injections. Of course, if you know about any better way then you can let us know ;-)

odysseyofnoises: if you look at your picture properly then you can notice that active window and taskbar are not completely solid all. They are nicely transparent just with high level of the opacity. You change the opacity in Colors control panel.

Oh, nice, this works now! =D http://postimg.org/image/xvschjdkx/full/

Now I can quit using the CPU / RAM drain that is BorderSkin

Thanks for this valuable program

Edited by odysseyofnoises