Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Final version for Win8 and (private) testing preview for Win8.1 will be available in a few days. Just be patient and do not post any cracked software here (and WB does not provide real glass effect thus it should not be discussed here either).

I have a few high end and low end machines to test windows 8.1 preview on, let me know if I can help.

Final version for Win8 and (private) testing preview for Win8.1 will be available in a few days. Just be patient and do not post any cracked software here (and WB does not provide real glass effect thus it should not be discussed here either).

I have a few high end and low end machines to test windows 8.1 glass

preview on, let me know if I can help.

Oops, double post! :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by Nickygamer

... security context is already violated severely. An app launching DWM outside Winlogon (if it can, actually, be done) may be a nasty hole in it, yet an opened global injection key, famous to be used by malware, and a disabled BIOS setting blocking it and bootsector misuse, seems to be a much bigger evil. But anyway, you're the boss. :rolleyes:

Clearly Microsoft doesn't want this to work. In their twisted minds, they want to close off everything, so that you get what they give and nothing more.

lol, are you for real? Do you think the people at Microsoft have some master plan to control how you use your OS or something? The "restrictive" stuff that they put in Windows is for the concern of security and nothing more. I hope you're not one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that everytime a windows update breaks some hack it's because Microsoft purposely put in some way to prevent it.

Nice job on RC4 BigMuscle, a slight lag of aero but to be expected with the d/l of the symbols, works good on a silent installer I made, Looking fwd to the final version..DP

You mean that the RC4 is a little bit slower than the previous releases ?

No, if you read BigMuscle's changelog file says "* automatic symbols downloading for DWM libraries --> this delays glass loading a bit".

All other versions of aero glass did immediate change when using gui to enable or disable..DPcool.gif

Nice job on RC4 BigMuscle, a slight lag of aero but to be expected with the d/l of the symbols, works good on a silent installer I made, Looking fwd to the final version..DP

You mean that the RC4 is a little bit slower than the previous releases ?

Edited by DosProbie

lol, are you for real? Do you think the people at Microsoft have some master plan to control how you use your OS or something? The "restrictive" stuff that they put in Windows is for the concern of security and nothing more. I hope you're not one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that everytime a windows update breaks some hack it's because Microsoft purposely put in some way to prevent it.

Sorry, no theory here; I'm all about practicality. Check out my books some time. But I won't litter up BigMuscle's thread with more discussion this subject here. You're entitled to feel however you feel.

I just want to say "THANKS" one more time to BigMuscle for his developments here. I just had to test some software installer work on Windows 8, and I actually found it a real pleasure to use once the desktop windows are actually nicely adorned with Aero Glass and drop shadows via theme resource replacement. Of course, that doesn't fix several of the major things Microsoft just deleted, but at least it doesn't poke you in the eye with a sharp stick every time you use it.

BRAVO, BigMuscle!

-Noel

~ AeroGlass_v095_RC4-x64 Silent Installer for Windows 8 ~

[Download]: AeroGlass Installer

Go to my Aero Installer thead to obtain the Updated version v.03 ==>http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163503-aeroglass-v03-x64-silent-installer-for-windows-8/

This is an open source installer for Big Muscle's RC4 Aero Glass that I made for myself and thought I would share it for those of you looking for a AIO hands free install for AeroGlass, or the "Kiss" method as my Dad use to say ie."keep it simple stupid" lol. Anyway it includes the following.

[Features]

- Creates a Shortcut in Start Menu Programs and Control Panel for easy access.

- A right click desktop context menu called "Toggle Aero Glass" to change aero glass on the fly.

- Uses the AGTweaker gui to easily adjust your aero glass, custom theme resources etc.

- Includes Uninstaller in Windows 8 programs and features and DWM.

- This is a 64-bit version, fully tested and working.

[install]

- Just unzip the file, remove any existing C:\DWM directory.

- Right-Click on Setup.cmd and run as administrator, will do quick install then logoff to adjust settings.

Enjoy! DP :yes:

Edited by DosProbie

~ AeroGlass_v095_RC4-x64 Silent Installer for Windows 8 ~

[Download]: AeroGlass Installer

This is an open source installer for Big Muscle's RC4 Aero Glass that I made for myself and thought I would share it for those of you looking for a AIO hands free install for AeroGlass, or the "Kiss" method as my Dad use to say ie."keep it simple stupid" lol. Anyway it includes the following.

[Features]

- Creates a Shortcut in Start Menu Programs and Control Panel for easy access.

- A right click desktop context menu called "Toggle Aero Glass" to change aero glass on the fly.

- Uses the AGTweaker gui to easily adjust your aero glass, custom theme resources etc.

- Includes Uninstaller in Windows 8 programs and features and DWM.

- This is a 64-bit version, fully tested and working.

[install]

- Just unzip the file, remove any existing C:\DWM directory.

- Right-Click on Setup.cmd and run as administrator, will do quick install then logoff to adjust settings.

Enjoy! DP yes.gif

Thanks. This makes whole lot of things easier.

Wo-oh, this doesn't look good... After updating my OS (a bunch of fixes have come up very recently), the hook seems to be incompatible with DWM: window border receives no glass effect, but the taskbar is looking all right; and it couldn't link to the symbol server to download dwmcore.pdb, because "the requested data is either not available or needs to be retrieved by using the latest Microsoft Symbol Server technology". Any ideas? :(

Edit: Well, I don't expect my following responses being deleted... :huh: I don't think I was talking sth inappropriate here, just discovery and discussion. Anyway, the above case is "solved".

debug.txt

Edited by XSStudio

It looks like symbol server was down. Wait some time and then restart dwm.exe to try again. Also, remember that you must have internet connection available and check that connections from dwm.exe are not blocked by your firewall.

It looks like symbol server was down. Wait some time and then restart dwm.exe to try again. Also, remember that you must have internet connection available and check that connections from dwm.exe are not blocked by your firewall.

I know. It's neither network nor firewall problem. Will wait for tomorrow to test it again.