Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

There is more things I don't understand. I had udwm.dll version 16420, now I checked and it is 16384 (some automatic downgrade?) and I also found udwm.dll in winsxs folder of version 20521. But all of them seem to be compatible.

I'm having issues with this version. Beta 3 worked fine but I don't get any transparency at all with this version. I've tried adjusting the colour intensity in the Personalisation settings but still none. The taskbar is also completely opaque.

Here is my debug log. At the beginning of the file is the following:

[0x384] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x384] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x384] DWM1 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x384] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM6 hooked successfuly

My C:\Windows\System32\uDWM.dll file version is 6.2.9200.16384

If it means anything, I updated my PC early this morning and updates were installed.

debug.log.txt

Edited by vjott

I'm having issues with this version. Beta 3 worked fine but I don't get any transparency at all with this version. I've tried adjusting the colour intensity in the Personalisation settings but still none. The taskbar is also completely opaque.

Here is my debug log. At the beginning of the file is the following:

[0x384] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x384] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x384] DWM1 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x384] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM6 hooked successfuly

My C:\Windows\System32\uDWM.dll file version is 6.2.9200.16384

If it means anything, I updated my PC early this morning and updates were installed.

you can narrow it down by seeing if beta 3 still works.

Yeah, I checked again and function DWM2 (which is the new one in RC0) is really not compatible with version 9.2.9200.16384 of uDWM.dll. I've fixed the issue but since it is old version of uDWM, it is not so important. You can fix it by windows update (to have version 16420).

Edited by bigmuscle

Sounds exactly like my issue with the 16384 uDWM. There appears to be something funky about it.

I've just installed additional updates and now, magically, it's working!

Also, bigmuscle, what is the swatches.reg supposed to do? I've applied it (after setting the permissions of the key in the registry) and I don't notice anything different.

Newest version still doesn't seem to be changing inactive colors, no matter which color I select the inactive frames are light blue. The transparency is also unchanging for the inactive window no matter the color intensity, which makes reading the window captions impossible if the inactive window is over a dark background...

Example: click

Newest version still doesn't seem to be changing inactive colors, no matter which color I select the inactive frames are light blue. The transparency is also unchanging for the inactive window no matter the color intensity, which makes reading the window captions impossible if the inactive window is over a dark background...

Example: click

Try using native blur

Applied RC0 and it worked, then deleted all files and re-applied RC0 and I have a black screen...

dwmcore.dll 6.2.9200.16433

There is something wrong with device future level, I have this setting to Auto but there is a problem with dx11 and dx11.1, with dx11 it's working but a after a while the screen turns black, dx11.1 will make the screen black instantly after applying, crash log is empty.

--edit--

Tried again, now the glass was applied with auto device feature level but taskbar and startisback have no blur so I tried to restart explorer, in the previous versions this fixed the issue but after restarting explorer, surprise, black screen, then re-applied dwmglass after a force restart , but the screen turned black again after a few minutes... This is happening with any directx, from 9 to 11. Version 0.9 is working fine, no black screen. blur is applied correctly to start menu and taskbar.

Edited by Tusticles

There is more things I don't understand. I had udwm.dll version 16420, now I checked and it is 16384 (some automatic downgrade?) and I also found udwm.dll in winsxs folder of version 20521. But all of them seem to be compatible.

Very interesting that what sounds like a system DLL is actually showing up in multiple versions (including one newer than the one in Windows itself) inside WinSxS.

uDWM_DLL_Locations.png

-Noel

those 20xxx file versions are LDR, the 16xxx are GDR. LDR contains hotfix code, while GDR only conatin normal code which is safe to be used by all users.

The files come from Update KB2756872. So if you have a lower file version, make sure you install this update:

http://search.microsoft.com/en-us/DownloadResults.aspx?q=KB2756872