Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

I searched for "x86", as I use/have the Windows 86-bits version, but there no hits returned :wacko: .

Does this mean there is no x86-version of this nice tool DWMHook03.7z?

If not: is it possible to develop?

Many thanks!

Paul

Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

I searched for "x86", as I use/have the Windows 86-bits version, but there no hits returned :wacko: .

Many thanks!

Paul

No, there is no 32-bit version. This is only a preview. Please be patient.

Is it possible to reduce and/or remove the color tint from the frames in a similar fashion to Windows 7's "Color Intensity" control?

The tint always looked a little "muddy" to me in 7.

Edited by Troy2062

Is it possible to reduce and/or remove the color tint from the frames in a similar fashion to Windows 7's "Color Intensity" control?

The tint always looked a little "muddy" to me in 7.

You can try altering the registry values mentioned in the release notes.

Another small "problem" or bug I mentioned:

If you play a video (in my case with media player classic) and overlay it with a light window (e.g. a web browser or the explorer) you can see the contours of the video through the other window.

Greetings from Germany

Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

Many thanks!

Paul

No, there is no 32-bit version. This is only a preview. Please be patient.

Thanks for answering!

It is good to know that a 32-bit version is/will be developed. :thumbup

Hi all,

Like so many, I just registered to say thanks for this!

I know that its just a preview release but I don't care if I have to have an extra window for the command prompt open at all times and I dont care if I have to activate on every boot (which happens to be only once every few weeks anyway). You have brought back one of the features I have most missed.

I had some temporary solutions via UXTheme which made Windows 8 more pleasant but they come with a very large set of problems (namely, if some system files are not the original and there is an update that modifies them, booting becomes impossible). I am so very glad that there is a non modifying transparency enabler! :D

Not just for the visual aspect. It was mentioned in this thread before how difficult it can be to discern multiple windows stacked on top of each other if they are the same flat white colour. Also, on the lines of the white colour, I have a light sensitive eye condition and I am sure many would have noticed how Windows 8 causes eye strain due to its exceptionally white coloured palette.

(Yes I know I can use one of the black with white text high contrast modes but it affects the visuals of every aspect of Windows 8... Well, seeing as this thread is about bringing back transparency, I'm sure I dont need to justify the many reasons I find it easier on the eyes ;):D )

So, just to say it out loud: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention - It goes to show that whatever changes MS did just before W8 release, they were not about style or appearance. The default W8 theme looks just beautiful in transparency. I mean the texturing due to things behind the titlebars really compliment the simplistic approach. Solid colours do not fit the style, but the transparency really completes the theme.

Unfortunately, Office 2013 is not affected by the modification. I bet that would look nice with some transparency! :D

Edited by drakenabarion

Could you share your solution via UXTheme? Did it enable true transparency, i.e. rendering the content behind the window border without layered windows hack?

Applications such as Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013 are not affected by my tool because they do not use DWM rendering for their windows (i.e. DWMWA_NCRENDERING_ENABLED flag is disabled for them).

Could you share your solution via UXTheme? Did it enable true transparency, i.e. rendering the content behind the window border without layered windows hack?

Applications such as Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013 are not affected by my tool because they do not use DWM rendering for their windows (i.e. DWMWA_NCRENDERING_ENABLED flag is disabled for them).

Well, UXTheme weren't able to provide transparency but they improved the UI by having additional texture and quality on the windows rather than the default flatness.

I guess, combined with WinAeroGlass.exe (

) which has been around the internet the past few weeks. I guess that they could work to get some transparency. I have not tried it but that version of WinAeroGlass removes the colour part of the window borders leaving only the outlines, but, unlike previous version of the program, it does so without the flickering problem. I guess combined with a UXTheme, it would leave whatever texture the theme has enabled giving a sense of transparency, but I bet it would not look very good.

However, UXTheme patches have conflicts with updates potentially making the system unbootable. That got overly inconvenient very quickly. I have been a few months without them because they became more work than they were worth.

And this is why I am so happy about the DWM Glass Effect - no conflicts of the nature that could cause boot problems. And the blur looks amazing.

Edit: Sorry, lots of typos.

Edited by drakenabarion

I can make a workaround by putting a condition "if window == iTunes" but this is completely wrong because same problem can appear for other windows which use the same technique. So I need to find any universal solution.

I think "black list" is needed anyway because it seems hard to support all applications which draw their windows in special manner.

So, could you add setting such as "BlackList=itunes.exe;example.exe;myapp.exe" ?

I can make a workaround by putting a condition "if window == iTunes" but this is completely wrong because same problem can appear for other windows which use the same technique. So I need to find any universal solution.

I think "black list" is needed anyway because it seems hard to support all applications which draw their windows in special manner.

So, could you add setting such as "BlackList=itunes.exe;example.exe;myapp.exe" ?

Even better would be full path names, as to not accidentally blacklist applications which simply share the same name. (Not sure how many apps are named itunes.exe, but I'm sure this scenario plays out elsewhere). There should not be a generic blacklist though (i.e. at most there should be a blacklist.txt file that starts completely empty and is completely user controlled, no defaults).

I don't see the blacklist as a good solution. Also it couldn't be on file/application name level but on the level of window/class name. When occluded regions are correctly generated, we won't need the "layered" hack anymore and it should work for any application. Currently I have implemented a small feature that layered windows with alpha 254 are not blended into desktop anymore. It fixes the problem that you can see through the window under certain conditions but unfortunately it has no effect on problems with rendering of applications such as iTunes.