Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

DWMLoader crashes for me : w8pro x64

Im pretty sure its related to "text glow" via this theme http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112?offset=0#comments

How to reproduce: install linked theme, run DWMLoader everything should work fine, UNLESS you try to look at a windows preview (rest your mouse over an icon in the taskbar)

also im noticing no transparency for windows created b4 DWMLoader is ran untill there moved, with the above theme (which it didnt do b4 i believe)

also im noticing no transparency for windows created b4 DWMLoader is ran untill there moved, with the above theme (which it didnt do b4 i believe)

That's not down to your theme - it's a "feature" of the v3 beta even on vanilla W8 - the author's aware of it so just bear with it for now :)

Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

You should, if possible, make another registry option in which it can switch from using the pixel shaders to using what the program is currently using.

Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

try to use as much as possible and only implement the things which are missing. So you have time to re-implement the features if Windows Blue breaks them.

DWMLoader crashes for me : w8pro x64

Im pretty sure its related to "text glow" via this theme http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-7-Vs-REV-D-350491112?offset=0#comments

How to reproduce: install linked theme, run DWMLoader everything should work fine, UNLESS you try to look at a windows preview (rest your mouse over an icon in the taskbar)

Text glow has nothing to do with it. Technically the default Aero theme has a text glow, just the image it uses is transparent, but it's still there.

Does anybody know how I can get rounded corners on windows? It will really look like aero then. If anyone does know can they send me a link or name of the theme? Thanks in advance and very good job on the blur effect! Looking forward to more!

Oh, that would be tough. I guess he could implement the program to not blend the corners, but then he would have to create a bunch of new visual style files (.msstyles files) for rounded windows.

Ok thanks anyway. :\

I guess that having rounded border would require to modify vertex buffer and generate new vertices (and I don't want to do it at this time). Rectangle border is generated from 22 vertices, but rounded border is generated from 70 vertices. It could increase complexity a lot.

Removing the rounded borders is one of the best improvements in Windows 8, in my opinion. They never worked out well for me: looked hideous and aliased.

+1, rounded corners is the one part of the Vista/7 theme that I've always hated. I am glad they changed it, but as with everything, I think it should be configurable by the user. It's a lot of work though, because the theme's window corners would have to match the radius chosen at runtime. Not impossible to do, but probably not worth the work.

@ text glow not causing the crash; well if thats the case not sure what is, but when i install 1 version of that custom theme the crash isnt there, and another ver it is; i figured that text glow was a setting that enabled code; not just a transparent/opaque image that was loaded between the titlebar and the titlebar text; so i guess its something else then :P

AERO GLASS for Win8 PREVIEW 4

So, another build is here.

What's new:

* begun work on Direct3D mode, it works, it should be much faster than Direct2D mode but it has a lot of glitches at this time. This mode use native DWM objects and shaders!!! (but Direct2D is still as default until it is complete)

* disabled alpha-blending of layered windows with alpha value of 254 - this should make rendering faster and avoid small transparency on all windows. This option has not been tested much so you can disable it using the registry settings.

* removed option to force bounding rectangle redraw

* fixed PDB file loading to generate useful crash reports

* added hot key Ctrl+Alt+F12 to quickly disable DWM hooking (e.g. in the case of black screen etc.)

* added new registry settings:

In Direct3D mode, you can use classic colorization settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:

ColorizationBlurBalance, ColorizationAfterglow, ColorizationColor, ColorizationColorBalance

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (no user-specific settings now!)

BypassLayeredWindowsRendering (DWORD) = when set to 0, the layered windows with 254 alpha are rendered in normal way.

UseDirect2DRendering (DWORD) = 0 = use Direct3D mode, 1 = use Direct2D mode

ColorizationXXXInactive (DWORD) = sets colorization settings for inactive windows (Direct3D mode only). In Direct2D you can use only ColorizationColorInactive (format is 0xAARRGGBB - alpha is ignored) to set the the color of inactive border.

Note: settings BlurDeviation has no effect in Direct3D mode.

http://leteckaposta.cz/332845979