Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

fine - as said i was only mentioning as i saw differences - all that said the latest version does not work for me exactly as others have reported - i have version 3 to auto run so to run 4 i rename the orig DWM dir to DWM1 - create a new dir and copy 4 into it - i then close the cmd window/icon in the task bar and run 4 - screen goes black and then returns - command window is open but no aero

assuming you see no issue with that then on my system as others there is a problem

This could be easily fixed by installing global windows hook which sets the window as layered during its creation. Problem is that this would require to have another service running (just because dwm.exe process does not run under logged user credentials).

can you please add this in the next version?

Only when I manage to do it without any additional process. There can also be problem with it. Applications using layered windows may fail when their windows are set as layered before creation. But I think I could handle it.

for me it works under VMware and it seams to be a bit faster, but there is still a delay before the Window gets the blur effect.

yeah, this is done by the time which sets windows as layered. It runs with interval 500 ms thus new windows won't have transparency effect until the update routine is executed. This could be easily fixed by installing global windows hook which sets the window as layered during its creation. Problem is that this would require to have another service running (just because dwm.exe process does not run under logged user credentials).

For anyone, who has problem with 0.4, could you try set BypassLayeredWindowsRendering to zero whether it helps?

I tried adding BypassLayeredWindowsRendering to the registry and setting it to zero but the same issue occurs. Everything remains opaque. I seems that you know what the problem is so I guess we'll leave it to you.

I don't know what the problem is because everything seems to work here correctly. But yes, sometimes it does not work. Either DWM (or maybe Direct3D directly) has some feature that some function (e.g. Draw) hooks are automatically replaced with another version of the function. I don't know why this happens and I have not found any suitable solution yet (except of background thread which hooks the function still around which consumes 100% CPU).

if it works for you have you checked that the upload which is what everyone is working from is correct - maybe a file got missed or has corrupted

Yeah, it might simply be different files from what he was working with or something.

most odd - i have no programming knowledge but logic says there must be some other file or dll that you have on your system that non of us have - or a setting in the registry - should all old values from 3 be deleted from the registry before 4 is installed

most odd - i have no programming knowledge but logic says there must be some other file or dll that you have on your system that non of us have - or a setting in the registry - should all old values from 3 be deleted from the registry before 4 is installed

I deleted all the registry keys that I added for the previous releases but still no luck.

It works even if I download the file that I published here.

Well our systems are lacking something actually present in yours. A missing dll or something.

Edited by kyolic