Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

The border edge (the black line in the image) is stored in theme sprite too together with the content of the border. There are several parts - 4 corners, 2 horizontal and 2 vertical segments. And all doubled - active and inactive border.

Thanks I think I found it

2vAVz42.png

It uses some trick to add these w7-like glass lines. I'm willing to bet removing the sharp corners will do the trick

Yeah that was it rounded corners are working now, but without the glass effect for now

qizQvd8l.png

Edited by Blackbird256

[1] I have two monitors on Win8 x64 Notebook, external via HDMI, internal uses HD3000 and external uses dedicated Nvidia GT 525M

Beta 1 works perfectly on internal screen, but external screen is unchangedly opaque. If i let a window span the two monitors, it's borders are half glass half opaque.

I use the GUI, 2D or 3D setting makes no difference...

Any advice?

[2] I tried the my.png as described, and I figured it is supposed to add glow to the buttons and window caption, but it does not work... I added "C:\DWM\my.png" as reg_sz to the resp. key; for reloading the DLL I disabled and re-enabled glass via the GUI (is that sufficient?)

Edited by voom

Ah, I just noticed there can be problem if each display has different resolution because GetSystemMetrics returns size of the primary monitor only.

Image my.ping adds caption glow only (not buttons) and you must restart dwm.exe after editing registry (or just change something int Personalize control panel).

Ah, I just noticed there can be problem if each display has different resolution because GetSystemMetrics returns size of the primary monitor only.

Yeah, they have different resolutions. That they use different gfx-chips doesn't matter, though?

Image my.ping adds caption glow only (not buttons) and you must restart dwm.exe after editing registry (or just change something int Personalize control panel).

Caption Blow would be helpful in certain settings, with high blur not so much needed... Buttons, I actually like the Win8 flat style, just not opaque...

You probably mean dwm.dll? I did change settings several times and turned on and off, but...

Could it be I have a wrong "syntax" with the path in the reg?

I used "C:\DWM\my.png" with and without "", also tried c:\\DWM\my.png (path itself is right, that's where I put it...)

There is nothing to remove except the changes you made manually on your own. The utility does not perform any permanent changes in your system. Ad install registry script - just reverse all values 0x1 -> 0x0, 0x0 -> 0x1, DLL name -> empty.

BTW, here is image resource which I promised earlier. It is nothing more than regular Win8 theme with caption glow effect. Specify the file name in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:CustomThemeResource and restart DWM process. You must be using default Windows 8 theme else your captions will be corrupted.

http://leteckaposta.cz/793494602

This refers to the text in title bars, right? Cause I have the file in place, even clicked file properties and unblocked the file (some file types, windows places a blocked staus). But as you can see here, I get no glow.

String Name "CustomThemeResource" value = "C:\DWM\my.png" with or without " in the the string content. So far, I get no change.

On another note - This glass experience is pretty much flawless. An occasional artefact for a second in the window frame but thats too minor to care about. If that glow will work, I wont need to care about whether or not title bar text will be Black or White. :)

post-374132-0-53987500-1365091512_thumb.

Sorry to say it, but there is one thing which always drives me crazy for the whole time of my experience with PC administration. I said many times that this piece of software is just a preview, alpha, beta or whatever which should be used by experienced users only. And also the preview-notification dialog is not there for fun. So if someone is not even able to read the instructions which registry keys to modify and randomly mixes values in registry and tries to set the registry values which should not be set at all, then he should not use this application until the final version is released.

MagicAndre1981: yeah, higher CPU usage can be caused by layered windows thing. I'm working hard to fix this problem and remove layered windows completely :-)

Yeah it can be done in windows 7 and in Vista with a registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"ColorizationOpaqueBlend"=dword:00000000

"HideBlur"=dword:00000001

Will have to give it a go on 7 and see what happens :)

I must admit there is no HideBlur in my Win7 installation and neither DWM knows this value.

Yeah it can be done in windows 7 and in Vista with a registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"ColorizationOpaqueBlend"=dword:00000000

"HideBlur"=dword:00000001

Will have to give it a go on 7 and see what happens :)

ok, nevermind, we could have this option too since next build will have Direct2D mode removed so it is better to have some way to disable blur effect :)

I must admit there is no HideBlur in my Win7 installation and neither DWM knows this value.

But it works, disabled blur when used that command in the latest version of windows 7.

Ah, only enable/disable blur, no blur amount control? :huh:

I will miss d2d because the gpu temp is a bit higher with d3d...

Edited by Tusticles

Amount of the blur can be controlled by ColorizationBlurBalance which is native DWM settings.

I have not tried updating driver. I just tested disabling/re-enabling driver in Device Manager and it works correctly.

So has anyone figured out what you need to edit in WSB to make the corners actually round? Making caption buttons round was easy, but the corners are hidden somewhere

IwcYsjZ.png?1

I can't find how to add caption glow either. It's not present in W8.

Hey there! I need some help if you do have time! I would like to know how u got the rounded corners? is it a data value or is it a theme "thing", ("thing" reffering as to editing the theme file.) :whistle::thumbup

It's matter of theme. The caption buttons are images. I exported them from 7's default theme and imported them into xXiNightXx's Win7forWin8 theme using latest beta of Windows Style Builder. I was actually surprised it was that easy. I have no idea how to make corners round though. There is still some squarish thingy that messes with it :}

Hey can I ask you a HUGE favor? I can create (or if you want to) a new topic on how to make the corners round and the captions round. Please? I really need help and I dont feel like messing with my computer without any help!

ok, nevermind, we could have this option too since next build will have Direct2D mode removed so it is better to have some way to disable blur effect :)

Huh? You're removing Direct2D in the next version?! Bigmuscle, how can you do this to me, bro? Direct2D is much better than Direct3D as it stands. Well, I'll continue to test future versions but this announcement is a big surprise. sad.gif