Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Ah, I see, I didn't realize you were loading the DLLs from the folder in which the AGTweaker.exe file resides. I had put everything in my BIN folder.

Thanks.

-Noel

By the way, It may have already been covered in posts above (I actually DID read all 42 pages of this thread, and I think there was a mention of a class of apps that use WPF being exceptional), but a reminder:

Some applications (e.g., File Explorer, Wordpad) don't put the glow behind the text, even when it's been set up in the theme PNG. Most others do.

-Noel

Didn't noticed this lack of glow. To be more precise, the tweaker copies the DLL from its folder to C:\Windows before loading it in order to allow to safely delete or move the GUI files and ensure that the full path of the required DLL does not contain any spaces (Can't put spaces in AppInit_DLLs paths even with quotation marks). But as it's loaded into memory it may be impossible to overwrite it with the new version so disabling Glass & rebooting before applying the new version should be the right method for upgrading the file.

EDIT: By the way, bigmuscle, what are the bugs / things that need to be fixed for the final version?

Edited by ORelio

Please, could you post here the file version of your C:\Windows\System32\UDWM.dll and dwmcore.dll? And state if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Was this directed towards anyone in particular?

If not, here you go!

Windows 8 Pro RTM 64bit:

UDWM (6.2.9200.16420) - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_vNYG0_RQUka2tlZzRZUGRadEk/edit?usp=sharing

DWMCore (6.2.9200.16433) - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_vNYG0_RQUkZEJDcFRDX2NVaEk/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Trailblazer101

Please, could you post here the file version of your C:\Windows\System32\UDWM.dll and dwmcore.dll? And state if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

if its a general question - as the post above -

Yes, it is general question. I'm implementing certain low-level functionality/fix which requires exact UDWM/DWMCore versions. So need to know if it is same everywhere or more different versions exist.

By the way, It may have already been covered in posts above (I actually DID read all 42 pages of this thread, and I think there was a mention of a class of apps that use WPF being exceptional), but a reminder:

Some applications (e.g., File Explorer, Wordpad) don't put the glow behind the text, even when it's been set up in the theme PNG. Most others do.

-Noel

I don't have this problem here. File Explorer and Wordpad, both have the glow behind the window title here.

Hmm, I don't understand why you would need a lot of files from everyone but if it can help, I'll gladly contribute :

Windows 8 Standard 64-bits RTM

[links removed, see posts below to see the reason]

Edited by ORelio

Win 8 Pro with MCE - 64 bits (genuine, registered - downloaded "upgrade" version installed as "clean install")

dwmcore.dll = 6.2.9200.16433

uDWM.dll = 6.2.9200.16420

(just in case it matters - DWMcore.dll is 2.1MB - there's also a version with the same version number in SysWOW64 and that is only 1.75MB)

Well, I got Glow working, and its working well with the exception of a few applications (I think they have already been mentioned but they are generally the Windows Accessories kind of applications like Wordpad, Paint and Windows Explorer).

I have been running the Beta 1 about as long as it has been available. Yes, I know its "Not for every day use" but I tend to like to stability test on top of feature test. Well, I have had no failures with the latest version in all the time using it.

Booting works just fine, no black screen problem requiring holding ctrl when starting.

3D performance has been unaffected - Playing games like Tomb raider 2013, DMC 2013, etc (Aye yes its the year of game reboots, isnt it? :P). If performance was going to be affected on my PC, it would be while running Tomb raider as it pushes my gpu as hard as I have ever seen a game doing. The game runs fine with no apparent drop in fps or fluidity.

On my multi monitor setup, transparency works on both screens. I have them at the same resolution (1080p) so of course I am not affected by the issue with the transparency area being based on the primary monitor resolution.

Oh, and thanks for sharing the Windows 8 theme png. I can use this as a template to change around some of the window border imagery to my liking. I will share if I manage to make a particularly nice setting.

And thanks again for all your hard work!

Oh and the DLL versions:

dwmcore.dll = 6.2.9200.16433

uDWM.dll = 6.2.9200.16420

Same as everyone elses. :)

From Windows 8 x64 Enterprise:

post-376593-0-38499600-1365565032_thumb.

post-376593-0-63523300-1365565050_thumb.

-Noel

Here's my file version info.

uDWM = 6.2.9200.16420

dwmcore = 6.2.9200.16433

Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center 64bit

everyone seems to have the same versions...

Edited by Rayn19