Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

Btw, what about the glossy caption buttons which glow upon hover? The Windows 8 DWM also ruined those. :(

My bad. Caption buttons obviously are part of the visual style. Sorry for confusing them with glass chrome.

Edited by xpclient

Btw, what about the glossy caption buttons which glow upon hover? The Windows 8 DWM also ruined those. :(

Ew, I hate those glossy buttons: there are some visual styles available on DeviantArt that bring back those glossy buttons if you like.

Those are nothing to do with DWM they are to do with the aero.msstyles theme having them removed, same with shadows, DWM has not reduced the shadows, they are images in the msstyles file and they are simply not as strong as Windows 7 shadows, I could increase the shadows with ease just by editing the aero.msstyles file.

@ bigmuscle I tried this on the VM and got it to work OK but ended up having to do a system restore after I could not log on, I just ended up with a blank screen, that doesn't worry me though as this is why I have Windows 8 on the VM, what I would like to know though, is it possible to have the transparent borders with colour but without the blur, I have never been keen on the blur, I prefer to have a custom theme with the desired opacity, if it is possible, could we have the option of turning Blur off?

Edited by MrGRiM

But there are some problems when I try to launch it on my desktop (AMD HD4850).

post-373473-0-15294200-1359356669_thumb.

debug.zip

do you have default settings or do you use any different theme/coloring than the default? debug file is from working or non-working configuration?

I am using the default settings. The debug file is from non-working configuration.

I recognized that AMD HD4850 is a DX10 chipset while Intel HD4000 is a DX11 chipset. Does this difference make sense?

Edited by xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

@ bigmuscle I tried this on the VM and got it to work OK but ended up having to do a system restore after I could not log on, I just ended up with a blank screen, that doesn't worry me though as this is why I have Windows 8 on the VM, what I would like to know though, is it possible to have the transparent borders with colour but without the blur, I have never been keen on the blur, I prefer to have a custom theme with the desired opacity, if it is possible, could we have the option of turning Blur off?

Yeah, options to set the level opacity and blur radius (0 = disabled) will be available in the future. However, I don't see any reason why it should deny logging in, because this utility does not modify anything in your system. Unless you set to start it with the Windows.

I am using the default settings. The debug file is from non-working configuration.

I recognized that AMD HD4850 is a DX10 chipset while Intel HD4000 is a DX11 chipset. Does this difference make sense?

Yeah, I'm just playing with some DX10.1 vs DX11 stuff. But I don't understand why it works for DX11 but does not for DX10 in your case, it should be vice versa :-D

Yeah, options to set the level opacity and blur radius (0 = disabled) will be available in the future. However, I don't see any reason why it should deny logging in, because this utility does not modify anything in your system. Unless you set to start it with the Windows.

Yeah, I'm just playing with some DX10.1 vs DX11 stuff. But I don't understand why it works for DX11 but does not for DX10 in your case, it should be vice versa :-D

I was messing with another app from winaero at the same time that also brings back some of the transparency and and also I was playing with another one called system transparency, anyway I tested it again after the restore and it's all working pretty good, one bug I did notice though is if you bring up the jump list on the taskbar it seems to leave some artifacts on the windows border when you hover up and down the list, I had this same problem when testing the one from winaero but running that with system transparency seemed to fix the rendering issues and made it flawless, I had to set the opacity to 254 on system transparency though as it caused some weird ghosting if it was set any lower, anyway mate keep up the great work and here is my debug file from this run if it helps at all.

Just a question, has anyone tried with pure Direct3D 11.0 or 11.1 graphic card and can confirm that it works properly for him? I just want to know whether DWM uses D3D 10.1 for windows drawing in all situations or it is just for compatibility reasons.

it doesn't matter to be honest

by "vista" standard user needed DX 9 for blur (shader 2)

if you're worried about DX version being used, I don't think there's any disadvantage of 10 being used over 11 for window draw

Edited by vinifera

Or, maybe OS version makes any sense?

I am launching Server 2012 on my desktop.