bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

2,631 posts in this topic

Nice, Clean and Simple but if you change to HKLM you can improve the access to dual functionality (desktop and directory) from inside any directory context menu like so..

Yeah, you are right. Updated the post.

To avoid double post. Bigmuscle, can you tell me why is the taskbar affected by StartIsBack? After ticking "Disable Translucency" in StartIsBack options, DWMGlass will add glow and transparency to taskbar but it looks like sh*t, uninstalling StartIsBack and re-installing will solve the problem, transparency and blur is added to taskbar correctly, but enabling/disabling DWMGlass will bring the shi*ty taskbar back. The only option is to uninstall StartIsBack. :(

Edited by Tusticles

OK I got it to work on the new version but went back to 0.7, the new version has less bugs but I am just not liking the lack of options to reduce the blur or color/opacity amount, if we could have some of the options from D2D like blur amount it would be much better, for me aside from a couple of small bugs D2D seemed to be perfect, with the color/opacity on D3D it seems to alter the way inactive and active windows are colored, if set 0 then the active and inactive windows are still colored but inactive color does not differ from the active color, this is not the default behavior with the aero theme though, somehow the aero theme forces the inactive window to become more transparent, however if you use any custom themes the colorization and opacity properties within the theme are ignored.

I am not sure if this was done purposely or if you have only tested your transparency with the default theme but you need to know that the default aero theme is using some sort of trickery to force settings that are contrary to the settings within it.

The new version shows 2 incompatible DLLs, shell32.dll and themecpl.dll.

shell32.dll: 6.2.9200.16547

themecpl.dll: 6.2.9200.16394

and here's my debug log.

I am still seeing artefacts on the glass. NativeGlass is enabled, btw whats its value is it 0x00000001 or 0x10000000, as Tusticles stated?

The new version shows 2 incompatible DLLs, shell32.dll and themecpl.dll.

shell32.dll: 6.2.9200.16547

themecpl.dll: 6.2.9200.16394

and here's my debug log.

I am still seeing artefacts on the glass. NativeGlass is enabled, btw whats its value is it 0x00000001 or 0x10000000, as Tusticles stated?

I have to work out a better way of detecting needed functions in DLL files. Now it can get broken with any windows updates.

Please, do not report any bugs for NativeGlass, this will never be fixed. Value 0x10000000 is nothing, or better it is value 268435456 which has absolutely no meaning.

Please, do not report any bugs for NativeGlass, this will never be fixed. Value 0x10000000 is nothing, or better it is value 268435456 which has absolutely no meaning.

Then why did you added NativeBlur option? Btw, could you tell me why DWM Glass is not applied correctly to taskbar with startisback installed?

since i installed 0.8 i have had problems - it worked fine on install but i then lost blur completely - in this instance i can say i did nothing but a reboot - i tried the test version and that was no better - i went back through the earlier versions - first to 0.7 that did not help - then to 0.3 as i think those in between and more test versions ?? - once 0.3 was installed blur returned

i then went back to 0.8 and i have again got blur but when i change from inactive to active window the aero effect takes a split second to show - the title bar starts black and then aero kicks in

i am guessing this is not the software but stuff in my registry left over from earlier installs and theme changes - if it is - no big deal as this system is not far off a clean install but i report it in case it is not

all that said would it be a good idea to add a registry file to take things back to microsoft standard before adding or changing anything - if thats part of the install then excuse the question

Then why did you added NativeBlur option? Btw, could you tell me why DWM Glass is not applied correctly to taskbar with startisback installed?

NativeBlur sense - It is written in changelog. Please, read it.

I don't know what your problem with StartIsBack is. I don't use it. But for having taskbar correctly blurred, two things must be done - 1) blurBehindWindow must be enabled for taskbar (I guess it is what SiB does when you check "Disable transparency" and 2) accent for taskbar must be disabled (else you get the taskbar double coloured resulting in very small opacity. My utility does both things when explorer starts up, I'm not sure about SiB.

i then went back to 0.8 and i have again got blur but when i change from inactive to active window the aero effect takes a split second to show - the title bar starts black and then aero kicks in

This has already been written. It is not bug, it is by design and appears even in Win7. When you enable native blur, it will black. When native blur is off (by default), then it will be completely transparent until the window is completely opened. In Win7, it is transparent too but colorized - this is what I want to do for next version.

ok, after some tries it finally works on my laptop. And it also works for 32Bit now fine:

post-70718-0-92224600-1366123607_thumb.p

It is so great. Performance is good (the delay before the Windows got the glass is gone). I'm so happy :):thumbup:w00t:

btw, why does my crash.log never shows the correct callstack? What are the requirements?

How you made to get away delay before windows got the glass? I can't do that from version 0.3 - in all newest versions windows opens without blur and transparency, and after small visible delay bacome with aero glass.

NativeBlur sense - It is written in changelog. Please, read it.

I don't know what your problem with StartIsBack is. I don't use it. But for having taskbar correctly blurred, two things must be done - 1) blurBehindWindow must be enabled for taskbar (I guess it is what SiB does when you check "Disable transparency" and 2) accent for taskbar must be disabled (else you get the taskbar double coloured resulting in very small opacity. My utility does both things when explorer starts up, I'm not sure about SiB.

To Start menu the DWMGlass is applied correctly but not to taskbar, why the StartisBack don't leave the taskbar as it is...

Edited by Tusticles

I use StartIsBack and I get a blurred taskbar.

@ CKyHC

I haven't done anything special. Maybe it is still there but I don't notice it.

I don't mean to add any pressure, BigMuscle, but yesterday evening I began to notice some reports about Microsoft returning some emphasis on making the desktop easier to use in Windows Blue (8.1).

For example: http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

They don't mention restoring Aero Glass, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Aero Glass with a good theme can make or break Windows usability on the desktop as compared to the crap desktop support that comes out of the box with Windows 8.

Frankly, I'd love to see you get 100 million users of Aero Glass for Win8.

-Noel

This has already been written. It is not bug, it is by design and appears even in Win7. When you enable native blur, it will black. When native blur is off (by default), then it will be completely transparent until the window is completely opened. In Win7, it is transparent too but colorized - this is what I want to do for next version.

thanks - i am now running 0.3 and am seeing it - which i never did before - as said i think the problem is mine - just trying to understand what i need to do to get it back to standard

I know about this problem and I admit that it is a bit worse after removing layered windows. I'm trying to find the best solution for it but since it appears just for a split of second, it does not have the highest priority. If you don't use native blur than it looks usable (fully transparent) except of windows which appears for a while only (e.g. copy dialogs etc.).

Tusticles: I don't think that SiB changes the taskbar properties if you don't explicitely change it in its settings. But I can't said it with 100% certainty :-)

On beta 0.8, I can only get the blur to work if I set the feature level to directx 9.3 in AGTweaker. Any reason for this?

Also, window transparency works on my second monitor, but not for the taskbar.

I decided not to use this until the final or a stable version is released! I tested enough, no errors but optimization is the problem, at least for me... I still want to have rounded borders, it is possible to create a small dll for rounded borders only? Thank you!