Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

As mentioned before, if you get "DWM incompatible" message after Windows updates, it is caused that your internet connection is not available when dwm.exe is starting and thus it cannot access MS symbol server to get information what has been changed in the update. This can be easily solved by manually restarting dwm.exe process. Or... you are using some kind of crack.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

For those who may be running Windows 8.1 in a VM for development and testing:

When I installed the Windows 8.1 Previews, both Pro and Enterprise, in VMware Workstation 9 virtual machines, I found that the Windows Networking (e.g., copying files and folders from other Windows systems, such as the host) just didn't work right.  It would try to work, but would then stall.  Invoking other network activity - even something like a web speed test - would magically wake it up.

With the help of the VMware people today, we isolated the problem to be in the emulated Intel e1000e network interface.

The fix is trivally simple:  With the guest OS shut down, edit the .vmx file that describes the virtual machine, and change the virtual NIC from "e1000e" to "e1000".  You'll end up with something like this in the .vmx file:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 28 August 2013 - 04:00 PM.

mufunyo

mufunyo

• 17 posts

I got my hands on Genuine Windows 8 Pro, so I finally got the chance to try AeroGlass myself. Installation is an absolute breeze! Everything worked perfectly at default/automatic settings.

I just have two questions:

- How much should I donate to get the nag-free RC version?

- AeroGlass is currently incompatible with WindowFX. Is this something you (bigmuscle) need to fix or is that something Stardock should fix? I'll email them if the incompatibility is on their end.

Thanks for the great work :D

PS: A question directed to anyone with knowledge, really: I've installed the WinAero Ribbon Disabler (which replaces/patches ExplorerFrame.dll). Is there another patch to ExplorerFrame.dll yet to also get glass back on the navigation bar (and hide the icon)? I recall someone mentioning working on something like that, but I don't know if he/she succeeded in that, failed, or is still working on it. Thanks :)

Workstation: Windows Server 2008 R2, Modified as Windows 7 Workstation
Notebook: Windows 8 Pro, AeroGlass, Ex7ForW8, Ribbon disabled
Old Notebook (RIP): Windows 98 SE, Auto-patched, 98SE2ME, KernelEx, Revolutions Pack 7, Vista Standard skin, Antialiased fonts (hacked)
File server: Slackware 11, Linux kernel 3.8.8, serving SMB, NFS, DLNA, SSH, FTP, HTTP, from a 13.6TB ARC-1230 RAID-6 array

ping12

ping12

• 22 posts

I got my hands on Genuine Windows 8 Pro, so I finally got the chance to try AeroGlass myself. Installation is an absolute breeze! Everything worked perfectly at default/automatic settings.

I just have two questions:

- How much should I donate to get the nag-free RC version?

- AeroGlass is currently incompatible with WindowFX. Is this something you (bigmuscle) need to fix or is that something Stardock should fix? I'll email them if the incompatibility is on their end.

Thanks for the great work :D

PS: A question directed to anyone with knowledge, really: I've installed the WinAero Ribbon Disabler (which replaces/patches ExplorerFrame.dll). Is there another patch to ExplorerFrame.dll yet to also get glass back on the navigation bar (and hide the icon)? I recall someone mentioning working on something like that, but I don't know if he/she succeeded in that, failed, or is still working on it. Thanks :)

- You can't have the final until BM finally releases it, it's only available to people who have donated in the past.

- I don't think WindowFX is supported.
- I want glass back on the bar too like it appears in Internet Explorer 10.

Edited by ping12, 29 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

The problem with WindowFX is that it injects into DWM too, however the problem is already fixed in RC4.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

ping12

ping12

• 22 posts

Well in that case, you should upgrade to RC4, why did you install the old version?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN