Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

no, this is preview version which is not intended for regular usage

People just don't seem to get that. I swear, the same questions have been asked on almost every single page of this topic.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

@bigmuscle and MSFN have landed a nice mention on a major tech news site:

Get Aero back in Windows 8

Way to go! :thumbup

--JorgeA

It's nice to get coverage and notice but with that comes negativity. A poster on that article is already calling it malware:

Because of the way this hack works it means the author can pretty much do anything he wants like, take screenshots of your banking information and other PII, if he wanted to. How much did the author of this malware pay you to write this piece of s*** article?

Or it could just be some Microsoft employee spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Jcee

Jcee

• 10 posts
  • Joined 06-February 13
there will always be negativity, and its true there is POTENTIAL for the user to take screenshots... but processing whats on screen is required for the task at hand... many programs require access that could potentially be used to compromise the system..., its all on trust :P

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Just a small secret... every program which you install into your computer can take screenshots :whistle:
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
Unfortunately, there are people out there who enjoy spoiling anything and everything for other people. Mention start menues or aero glass and a load of them will appear demanding that you justify wanting to use them and where that is doomed to failure - as it increasingly is - they resort to such tactics as implying ill-intentions on the part of the developer.

In the case of aero glass, I can justify it (for me, at least) - I find that the choice of bulky, opaque titlebars in W8 coupled with the fact that they are lacking in any texturing or distinct edges or shadows makes them more diffcult to tell apart than they ever have been in the past. It's like cutting-up a piece of white paper and placing the bits on top of another piece of white paper then trying to spot them - and the situation is not helped by the fact that the unselected bars are all the same anaemic colour and the active bars need to be pale for the immutable black titles to be readable.

In other words, adding (or returning) transparency to Windows is not purely and only about cosmetics - it has an ergonomic value and anything that shaves even a fraction of a second off one of the most performed actions in a GUI will give a feeling of greater speed across the entre system.

Short version - that "snapshot" comment was pure troll - note he doesn't specifically say that bigmuscle is doing anything of the sort and doesn't explain how to detect or prevent it happening, he just shouts his random scarey-wary muck then runs away giggling to himself that he's outsmarted the geeks.

palbertsma

palbertsma
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-February 13
Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

I searched for "x86", as I use/have the Windows 86-bits version, but there no hits returned :wacko: .

Does this mean there is no x86-version of this nice tool DWMHook03.7z?

If not: is it possible to develop?

Many thanks!

Paul

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Just a small secret... every program which you install into your computer can take screenshots :whistle:

Windows Store apps can't take screenshots.

Sonic5317

Sonic5317
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 08-February 13
Start8 will install with the launcher running but once it resets it doesn't work.. but anyway heres a screenshot of my VM desktop. I quite like w8 glass more than 7 it just feels...cleaner?

Can't wait for release :D

Posted Image

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

I searched for "x86", as I use/have the Windows 86-bits version, but there no hits returned :wacko: .

Many thanks!

Paul

No, there is no 32-bit version. This is only a preview. Please be patient.

Troy2062

Troy2062
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 10-February 13
Is it possible to reduce and/or remove the color tint from the frames in a similar fashion to Windows 7's "Color Intensity" control?

The tint always looked a little "muddy" to me in 7.

Edited by Troy2062, 10 February 2013 - 06:25 PM.

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Is it possible to reduce and/or remove the color tint from the frames in a similar fashion to Windows 7's "Color Intensity" control?

The tint always looked a little "muddy" to me in 7.

You can try altering the registry values mentioned in the release notes.

KittBlog

KittBlog
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Another small "problem" or bug I mentioned:
If you play a video (in my case with media player classic) and overlay it with a light window (e.g. a web browser or the explorer) you can see the contours of the video through the other window.

Greetings from Germany

palbertsma

palbertsma
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-February 13

Hi all,

Just joined this forum!

Many thanks!

Paul

No, there is no 32-bit version. This is only a preview. Please be patient.

Thanks for answering!

It is good to know that a 32-bit version is/will be developed. :thumbup

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
Hi all,
Like so many, I just registered to say thanks for this!

I know that its just a preview release but I don't care if I have to have an extra window for the command prompt open at all times and I dont care if I have to activate on every boot (which happens to be only once every few weeks anyway). You have brought back one of the features I have most missed.

I had some temporary solutions via UXTheme which made Windows 8 more pleasant but they come with a very large set of problems (namely, if some system files are not the original and there is an update that modifies them, booting becomes impossible). I am so very glad that there is a non modifying transparency enabler! :D

Not just for the visual aspect. It was mentioned in this thread before how difficult it can be to discern multiple windows stacked on top of each other if they are the same flat white colour. Also, on the lines of the white colour, I have a light sensitive eye condition and I am sure many would have noticed how Windows 8 causes eye strain due to its exceptionally white coloured palette.

(Yes I know I can use one of the black with white text high contrast modes but it affects the visuals of every aspect of Windows 8... Well, seeing as this thread is about bringing back transparency, I'm sure I dont need to justify the many reasons I find it easier on the eyes ;) :D )

So, just to say it out loud: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention - It goes to show that whatever changes MS did just before W8 release, they were not about style or appearance. The default W8 theme looks just beautiful in transparency. I mean the texturing due to things behind the titlebars really compliment the simplistic approach. Solid colours do not fit the style, but the transparency really completes the theme.

Unfortunately, Office 2013 is not affected by the modification. I bet that would look nice with some transparency! :D

Edited by drakenabarion, 12 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Could you share your solution via UXTheme? Did it enable true transparency, i.e. rendering the content behind the window border without layered windows hack?

Applications such as Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013 are not affected by my tool because they do not use DWM rendering for their windows (i.e. DWMWA_NCRENDERING_ENABLED flag is disabled for them).

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

Could you share your solution via UXTheme? Did it enable true transparency, i.e. rendering the content behind the window border without layered windows hack?

Applications such as Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013 are not affected by my tool because they do not use DWM rendering for their windows (i.e. DWMWA_NCRENDERING_ENABLED flag is disabled for them).

Well, UXTheme weren't able to provide transparency but they improved the UI by having additional texture and quality on the windows rather than the default flatness.

I guess, combined with WinAeroGlass.exe (Youtube video) which has been around the internet the past few weeks. I guess that they could work to get some transparency. I have not tried it but that version of WinAeroGlass removes the colour part of the window borders leaving only the outlines, but, unlike previous version of the program, it does so without the flickering problem. I guess combined with a UXTheme, it would leave whatever texture the theme has enabled giving a sense of transparency, but I bet it would not look very good.

However, UXTheme patches have conflicts with updates potentially making the system unbootable. That got overly inconvenient very quickly. I have been a few months without them because they became more work than they were worth.

And this is why I am so happy about the DWM Glass Effect - no conflicts of the nature that could cause boot problems. And the blur looks amazing.

Edit: Sorry, lots of typos.

Edited by drakenabarion, 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Here's a quick and easy way to access and toggle the Aero Glass from the Desktop Context menu. (just delete the .txt extensions on files and follow install instructions) Enjoy!

Voxxy

Voxxy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-January 13

I can make a workaround by putting a condition "if window == iTunes" but this is completely wrong because same problem can appear for other windows which use the same technique. So I need to find any universal solution.

I think "black list" is needed anyway because it seems hard to support all applications which draw their windows in special manner.
So, could you add setting such as "BlackList=itunes.exe;example.exe;myapp.exe" ?

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

I can make a workaround by putting a condition "if window == iTunes" but this is completely wrong because same problem can appear for other windows which use the same technique. So I need to find any universal solution.

I think "black list" is needed anyway because it seems hard to support all applications which draw their windows in special manner.
So, could you add setting such as "BlackList=itunes.exe;example.exe;myapp.exe" ?

Even better would be full path names, as to not accidentally blacklist applications which simply share the same name. (Not sure how many apps are named itunes.exe, but I'm sure this scenario plays out elsewhere). There should not be a generic blacklist though (i.e. at most there should be a blacklist.txt file that starts completely empty and is completely user controlled, no defaults).

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
I don't see the blacklist as a good solution. Also it couldn't be on file/application name level but on the level of window/class name. When occluded regions are correctly generated, we won't need the "layered" hack anymore and it should work for any application. Currently I have implemented a small feature that layered windows with alpha 254 are not blended into desktop anymore. It fixes the problem that you can see through the window under certain conditions but unfortunately it has no effect on problems with rendering of applications such as iTunes.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Hey bigmuscle,
I know how much Work goes into a project like this so I personally want to say "THANK YOU"
for all your hard work thus far on this Aero Preview...The more I use it the more impressed
I am. There seems to be more Rants that Raves on here so everyone again this is only a Preview
and not the Final Product! DosProbie ö¿ö

KittBlog

KittBlog
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Another bug I've found:
I start my computer with Firefox, iTunes and Thunderbird from startup. As soon the DWMHook starts, all other windows get minimized. Is there any possibility to not minimize them?

Greetings from Germany

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
If it is the same bug as I think (i.e. windows are not really minimized, they are just not drawn, so you see the content beneath them) then there seems to be no solution yet. I guess this is the problem of DWM itself. And since it happens on DWMHook startup only I'm not going to fix it now.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
Hi again,
Ok I am no fan of Office 2013, so I still use 2010. I tried 2010 alongside this mod today for the first time. and I must say, I love the result. It looks different to the Windows 7 appearance, right? (Its been a few months since I used on W7, I dont remember it looking this nice in Windows 7).
Attached File  office 2010 transp.jpg   172.49KB   89 downloads

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 747 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Hi again,
Ok I am no fan of Office 2013, so I still use 2010. I tried 2010 alongside this mod today for the first time. and I must say, I love the result. It looks different to the Windows 7 appearance, right? (Its been a few months since I used on W7, I dont remember it looking this nice in Windows 7).
Attached File  office 2010 transp.jpg   172.49KB   89 downloads

Good Look draken! like the Charcoal border, what Opacity and Blur do you have it set on?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users