Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,887 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

When bigmuscle sees fit to, and not any earlier. :whistle:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

AppleHash

AppleHash
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 17-February 13
Works like a charm to me.
Great work, no bugs or crashes yet.

idas

idas

• 11 posts
  • Joined 16-February 13

It is not fully possible, but next version will use original pixel shaders which are still present in Windows 8 and even loaded into memory by DWM process itself.

a 32 bit version please?

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Joined 19-November 04

Donator

It is not fully possible, but next version will use original pixel shaders which are still present in Windows 8 and even loaded into memory by DWM process itself.

Well, dwmcore still contains everything for Flip3D and blur, it's just a matter of a code removed. If you can bring it back, that would rock.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

Edited by bigmuscle, 18 February 2013 - 05:58 AM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12
I tried running it in a virtualbox virtual machine (W8 pro x64)
It says it loaded, but didn't actually do anything

debug.log:
http://paste.install...m/view/5c620b2d

a 32 bit version please?

People still use 32-bit Windows?

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Yeah, there is still everything - pixel shaders, vertex shaders, sampler states, input layouts etc. and everything is even loaded into memory during DWM startup. I am currently playing with the pixel shaders and it works like a charm. It even respects the colorization/balance settings from the registry. However, I do not want to rely on it too much because we can't say how long the code stays there and it can be removed with any future update.

Then we don't update it :D

SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-February 13
Works on my Intel i7 desktop with Nvidia Gforce GTX 580 but doesn't work on my ATI/ AMD on Radeon HD 3200 graphics laptop , could it be the laptops direct X9 verses the desktops direct X11?
I just get the black screen on the laptop and I have to force a laptop to reboot.

Was great on the desktop as you can see with my screen grab.
My link

Looking forward to the official release as I only used dark themes like this and I would love to have this the full transparency so I can replicate this thing in windows 8.
My link

Edited by SilverSurfer, 18 February 2013 - 09:09 AM.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

Works on my Intel i7 desktop with Nvidia Gforce GTX 580 but doesn't work on my ATI/ AMD on Radeon HD 3200 graphics laptop , could it be the laptops direct X9 verses the desktops direct X11?
I just get the black screen on the laptop and I have to force a laptop to reboot.

Was great on the desktop as you can see with my screen grab.
My link

Looking forward to the official release as I only used dark themes like this and I would love to have this the full transparency so I can replicate this thing in windows 8.
My link

How do you get Windows Explorer to look so transparent? I mean I wouldnt personally like as much transparency in the normal Explorer window. I'd prefer the toolbar to look like my Office 2010 screenshot (I posted previously on here). However, for things like Personalisation, that level of transparent background is quite effective.

Hmmm, I guess thats off topic tho.

Back on topic! I have been using Preview 3 for nearly a week now, and, in the past few days, I have had absolutely no issues. This includes playing games for 10+ sessions and leaving on overnight. I have not restarted in several days.

I look forward to any updated that might include the retained DWM code. I mean, while that code is there, it could be used as a temporary measure (if it helped - Maybe it doesnt help), while work on an independent implementation was done.

I would bet, since using Windows as far back as 1990, MS tended not to remove some pieces of code left over from previous builds. My guess is that keeping certain piece stops breaking of undocumented dependencies. e.g, there were the same GUI bugs in Windows 95 all the way until the GUI was remade for XP. I know that is just speculation, but, since DWM hasnt really changed that much, I just bet there is a reason they would never admit for keeping the old code. Well, it could be laziness I guess. Laziness could also explain the Windows 95 onwards GUI bugs too.

Oh but this is all idle speculation on my behalf. I havent programmed anything since college... so I guess I haven't programmed anything in nearly 8 years xD.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

You can try playing with DeviceFeatureLevel registry settings. It allows achieving glass effect also on non-supported drivers (and even when no graphics drivers are installed).

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

a 32 bit version please?

This question has been answered ad nauseam. It won't hurt you to read. Pestering the developer with this question won't make it happen any faster. If you want to see a 32-bit pre-release version so badly, you can pitch in and help make it happen.

Netham45

Netham45
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 06-February 13

a 32 bit version please?

This question has been answered ad nauseam. It won't hurt you to read. Pestering the developer with this question won't make it happen any faster. If you want to see a 32-bit pre-release version so badly, you can pitch in and help make it happen.

Not without the source we can't. I'd love to port this over to Windows RT, but there's no source to port.

MikeTGW

MikeTGW
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13
I just registered to say Thank You for this.

And also to thank ORelio for developing a GUI for it.

Keep it up :thumbup

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Not without the source we can't. I'd love to port this over to Windows RT, but there's no source to port.

Port if over to Windows RT? How are you going to do that? Windows 8 apps are chromeless. What are you going to make transparent/translucent? The background or the tiles or something?

Netham45

Netham45
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 06-February 13
Desktop apps. There is a jailbreak for Windows RT, and a number of desktop apps for it.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

You can try playing with DeviceFeatureLevel registry settings. It allows achieving glass effect also on non-supported drivers (and even when no graphics drivers are installed).

Can you tell me how to do this? I am having this same problem, and it is driving me crazy.

kyolic

kyolic

• 16 posts
  • Joined 20-February 13
Registered to say thanks. Briliant job!

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,887 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Desktop apps. There is a jailbreak for Windows RT, and a number of desktop apps for it.

All the subsequent off-topic posts about Win RT are now in their own thread, which must be used for that subject.
Further posts about the Win RT jailbreak in this thread will be simply deleted without notice. Thanks!

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Can you tell me how to do this? I am having this same problem, and it is driving me crazy.

Read the topic few pages back. I wrote it in the changelog of some previous release. However, I can't ensure that it will really work. For me, it just fixed crash when no graphics drivers were installed.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Hey BigMuscle, I switched up to my older lap running w8 64 with a Radeon hd 3200 , I noticed if I right-click and run as admin with your loader it goes to the black screen and I am then forced
to reboot, But If I just double click the file it does not go to the black screen and makes the aero glass changes.. btw any eta for your next update.. thanks B)

Edited by DosProbie, 21 February 2013 - 07:15 AM.

idas

idas

• 11 posts
  • Joined 16-February 13

a 32 bit version please?

Thanks for the help.

i myself spend 2 years on past for programing the code of explorerframe.dll [to win 7 and to 8 too] so to change all thousand codes parameters and also add new ones that not excist so the system to respond in the way of osx do in the form of appearance and selecting the folders, as i also transport via changing of code to shell32.dll the preview pane to top, so anyone needs to have a direct preview a photo or a text did not have to use notepad, or windows photo viewer, and also including inside the preview pane at top also the command bar/folder band so to use it if he does not like ribbon, just pressing ALT + P to the keyboard (or the virtual keyboard) for the appearing/dissapearing of preview pane, so i know very well how difficult is programming, and i respect all the efforts of bigmuscle and of anyone participating and help to this project of recovering transparency's conditions .

so i have just released my transparent borders version of a theme for , i give a link for the 64bit users for enabling the transparency with bigmuscle's work, and for the 32 bit as for now i give some more simplified utility versions of transparency.
My theme is a work for windows 8 rtm using, mainly made with hex editing + resource hacker.
anyone has 64 bit can test my work using with bigmuscle's work, as i made that without having the advantage of this 64 bit work for transparency.

Hellas ease yacht dedication (theme win 8 RTM)

Posted Image

===========================================================

Edited by idas, 21 February 2013 - 07:18 AM.

vanden

vanden
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-February 13

I tried running it in a virtualbox virtual machine (W8 pro x64) It says it loaded, but didn't actually do anything debug.log: http://paste.install...m/view/5c620b2d

Exactly same problem ! (Virtualbox 4.2.6.0(4.2.6.r82870) + Win8 x64 Entreprise Evaluation).
(view attached image) debug.log

And links are unvalid ! :
preview 2: http://leteckaposta.cz/621343263
preview 3: http://leteckaposta.cz/985544913

Attached Files

Edited by vanden, 21 February 2013 - 07:26 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
So try the thing with DeviceFeatureLevel registry value. I can't say about Virtualbox, but on VMWare when display drivers are not installed - Direct3D 10.1 render function is not called at all. When you change the DeviceFeatureLevel to 0x9300 then it starts working.

morphex

morphex
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 21-February 13
can you post new links please? i want to try it

vanden

vanden
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-February 13
Ok but how activated this in virtualbox ?
I have configured display in virtalbox like that :
Posted Image
But it is the same ...

Remark with WinaeroGlass (Aero8Tuner + bLend), transparency works very well :
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users