Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

This is very good. I made an account on this site just because of this. But there is one issue: It is incompatible with all wpf apps that use the system frame.

Thank you for working so hard on this! I am glad we don't need to replace dwm.exe to get glass back.

Hi guys, just registered to this forum for this new great project. It looks beautiful but the windows are laggy and the fps drop in games. Just updated to latest nvidia beta driver and I have the same issue. Any ideas? Thank you.

Asus G75VW

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

GPU: Nvidia GTX 670M

I can't speak with certainty, but I would imagine you'd see the big drop since the windows are all switched to layered windows with 254/255 alpha, which means on top of all of your rendering, you need to do a fullscreen alpha blend composition of the desktop, which can be expensive, especially if the GPU is already taxed. Can you check to see if you get a similar framerate drop with using WinAeroGlass? If not, it could also be related to the memory leak someone posted earlier.

With WinAeroGlass only the Chrome browser is a bit laggy.

Please do not spam with useless posts. Current version is a preview only which is not intended for regular usage.

The GPU Load is huge with aero enabled, but not always. Should I read the whole thread, if there is an explanation why is eating so much video resources? The gpu have clock profiles, when aero is enabled the highest clock profile is activated, ****, that profile is used when playing games...

Hmm, the lag occur when I have more than one window opened, with just one window everything is fine.

Edited by Tusticles

It looks very nice and works on my German Windows 8 x64 very well, thanks!

However, there is something with my iTunes: The interface is no more available in this program, so I can't do anything without my media controls on the keyboard.

Can anyone look for a fix? If you need a debug log or anything else, I can attach it. ;)

This has been reported before. Not sure if the creator will fix it but he needs help. Unfortunately I haven't the skills. sad.gif

ad iTunes: I have already created a topic in their forum https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4764255?start=0&tstart=0 but no response yet. For the next version, I will at least implement the temporary workaround "if window == iTunes".

Hi!

For me, glass doesn't apply to the taskbar, ony the windows. Is it normal in the preview?

And if I start trillian (chat program which has aero glass background in it's theme), dwm crashes. Here is my crash log:

DWMHook: 0x1AAA4DAA: InstallDWMHook
DWMHook: 0x1AAB203A: InstallDWMHook
dwmcore: 0x1C6D93FA: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D917E: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D96EE: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D6CB1: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D64B0: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D60AF: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D6FB7: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6DD5C5: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6CE586: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6CDFF3: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D1E74: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D272C: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6C6850: MilCoreClientIsDwm
dwmcore: 0x1C6D3133: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6D4B15: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6CC310: MilConnectionManager_NotifyHostEvent
dwmcore: 0x1C6C5F4F: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C5A5A: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C5837: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C42F0: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C41BD: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C2C26: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C6C1F84: ?
dwmcore: 0x1C756B5C: MilCompositionEngine_InitializePartitionManager
KERNEL32: 0x27BF167E: BaseThreadInitThunk
ntdll: 0x29233501: RtlUserThreadStart

I have 2 aero themes for trillian and one is working but only if i start trillian before and dwm after. If I start dwm first, then the window content will not be visible.

Thank you for this app! :)

post-373792-0-60760600-1359993824_thumb.

Edited by skyli

Trying to work this around via black list won't succeed, too many programs can fail when their state is externally modified. It would be better to trick DWM into thinking windows are layered while they aren't. I didn't find a way yet, but there should be.

Trying to work this around via black list won't succeed, too many programs can fail when their state is externally modified. It would be better to trick DWM into thinking windows are layered while they aren't. I didn't find a way yet, but there should be.

I know it fixes only the application added to black list but better than nothing until proper solution is found.

AERO GLASS for Win8 PREVIEW 3

Since I am busy with studying DWM and trying to introduce some more interesting stuff which will take a longer time implement (if it is possible :-) ) but I don't want to let you wait too long, here is another preview. Do not expect too much from this version. Just a few fixed bugs (and new bugs added :-) )

What's new:

* removed dependency on C:\DWM folder

* loop for layered windows chained into DWM main window's timer

* set lower interval for setting layered windows

* fixed crash for application which do not like WS_EX_LAYERED to be set too early (e.g. Windows Paint)

* fixed a few memory leaks

* added temporary workaround for iTunes (it will be removed in the future!!!)

* added some new EXPERIMENTAL registry settings:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (no user-specific settings now!)

DisableDebugLog (DWORD) = when set to 1, it disables logging to file. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

ForceBoundingRectangleRedraw (DWORD) = when set to 1, layered windows technique will be disabled completely. Instead of it, it tries to repaint whole bounding rectangle of the window texture (with respect to clipping area). This settings is for users who don't like layered windows but I don't recommend to use it at all, because it has not been tested much, you won't see totally obscured objects in transparent area and it brings a lot of redraw glitches (so do not complain about them)!!!

http://leteckaposta.cz/985544913