Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
Bigmuscle...

I hope you don't think that I meant any criticism. Reading my last post back, it might come across that way.

What I meant was that I am more than happy to change or configure my laptop to help you get this working the way you want - I have plenty of free time and I'm genuinely blown away by how much time and effort you are putting into this. If I can help by mucking about with a few registry values, you only have to ask - the worst that can possibly happen is that I reinstall Windows on this laptop and that just doesn't bother me.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ISOHaven

ISOHaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
GTX 650 Ti - once I changed reg to 9100 or 9200 or 9300 it worked fine with your changed files.

I notice NO slow downs. It works flawlessly. I also have dual monitors. Minimizing windows, no problems. Everything is super fast with it on and off.

Thanks for all your work! I look forward to a finished product.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
Oh another thing I am noticing on my nVidia card. I get the best results with the 0.4v and the private hook dll when I use D2D mode.

While in D2D mode with transparent window frames, my GPU correctly clocks down to the lower speeds like it did in Windows 7. DWM in Windows 8 keeps the GPU running at full clock speeds. It was never an issue in terms of idle temps but as a strange side effect to the DWM Loader, I get maybe 7 or 8c cooler temps.

Ok its not directly related to this software as such but it can be a nice "feature" if it still happens in the final builds.

Edit: Just to clarify, I get better GPU activity using DWMLoader than I get with it off. Windows 8, by default, does not correctly clock down my GPU like it would in Windows 7. However, with DWMLoader, it works as it did in Windows 7.

Edited by drakenabarion, 01 March 2013 - 09:43 AM.

HydroHusky

HydroHusky

• Members
  • 44 posts
I need some help. I don't know how you all got v0.4 to work. When I load it up its opaque, SO I go to the regestry editor to look for the registries. I didint find them there. So I made them and set the values like in the picture drakenabarion posted. Still I get no results, as of now I deleted what I entered in the registry editor.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Yes it works but there is considerable amount of lag when minimizing windows.

In 0.4 or in that private build?

In all versions dude, all versions have lag, I don't care if you fix it or not, but just give me an explanation. I told you, to fix the lag I have to make the GPU gaming profile fixed, but who want 50+C GPU temp in idle/desktop mode... This tells me that your pretty app is hunger for GPU resources, I understand, debug version, alpha, etc. but I still want some answers. Thank you.

Sounds more like your drivers aren't properly adjusting power states for the workload. Even if his implementation required 10x the resources and workload of MS's it should not produce a noticeable effect with a GTX 670 - it should be more than powerful enough to run dozens of fullscreen sheets of solid glass on top of each other without a hiccup. The problem is very likely on your end (drivers or profiles you made) since very few others seem to have the issue on what I would imagine to be less powerful hardware, unless everyone in this thread has a GTX680. I had no problem running his glass implementation from 0.3 on my 6950 and it showed almost no GPU utilization and near idle temperatures. And your GTX 670 should be faster than my 6950.

I have the latest drivers, clean installation, no GPU custom profiles as I already said, the lag occur only with the low profiles, idle/dekstop... Forcing a higher profile will fix the problem but I don't like the idea of running a high profile in idle/desktop... I have no idea why I want so much the Aero but after a few weeks of using Win8 I couldn't find anything special so I'm thinking about going back to Win7, idk.

Edited by Tusticles, 01 March 2013 - 08:02 AM.

Windows8RTMUser

Windows8RTMUser

• Members
  • 38 posts
0.3 works just fine 0.4 just freezes my computer (after registry edits)

DosProbie

DosProbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Donator

With all these updates I think it would help everyone if you could add your updated versions to the console.
When I launch DWMLoader.exe it reads Win8 v0.3 not v0.4
and then to dwm.exe to - THIS IS PREVIEW VERSION ONLY!!! v.04
Thanks, Posted Image

Edited by DosProbie, 01 March 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Windows8RTMUser

Windows8RTMUser

• Members
  • 38 posts
I just noticed in Vista & 7 the back & forward buttons and some other stuff are transparent

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

I need some help. I don't know how you all got v0.4 to work. When I load it up its opaque, SO I go to the regestry editor to look for the registries. I didint find them there. So I made them and set the values like in the picture drakenabarion posted. Still I get no results, as of now I deleted what I entered in the registry editor.

Did you check the colour intensity setting in the Windows' "Personalisation" settings? If that's set to maximum, you get solid borders - it needs to be lowered a bit for transparency to start showing up. Set the slider to about halfway and then play around with it until you get the right balance of colour and transparency.

Reddax

Reddax
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   466.68KB   36 downloads

Edited by Reddax, 02 March 2013 - 05:49 AM.

ORelio

ORelio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot

Try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100 (DirectX 9.1)
You can do this either with regedit or with the GUI (link in my signature)

Edited by ORelio, 02 March 2013 - 07:42 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Donator

Doesn't work on my Windows 8 64bit system, tried running it in administrative mode but still no luck, the window pops up saying Close this window to exit aero glass effect. Yet there is no Aero glass effect. Will attach screenshot

Try to change the DeviceFeatureLevel registry key to 9100 (DirectX 9.1)
You can do this either with regedit or with the GUI (link in my signature)

I was having similar issue til I added the .reg file before install..Posted Image

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;DWM AERO SETTINGS - Sets Device Feature Level to DirectX 9.3
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"BlurDeviation"=dword:00000014
"Composition"=dword:00000001
"DeviceFeatureLevel"=dword:00009300
"DisableDebugLog"=dword:00000000
"GlassTransparency"=dword:0000006a
"IsOnStartup"=dword:00000001
"UseDirect2DRendering"=dword:00000001

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Donator

Working great for me and seems better with direct 3D, not sure what everyone else is complaining about but it worked for me right off the bat, using VM Ware, not sure if that makes any difference or not.

stonyi1966

stonyi1966

• Members
  • 23 posts
Reg values did it, working perfectly now

DosProbie

DosProbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Donator

I know this may be a little off topic but for those of us using Google Chrome and want a aero glass you can install the MaxDark Aero Theme
at : https://chrome.googl...bflnndnmambmbpl
Then launch Aero Glass , see my screen shot below
http://www.flickr.co...s/93612079@N03/

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

I just noticed in Vista & 7 the back & forward buttons and some other stuff are transparent

The addition of the ribbon changed the layout of explorer windows so they had to change the blurred area back to just the area on top. Kind of a shame that the glass doesn't at least extend to the ribbon menu buttons like it does in office 2010. That would've been cool.

CKyHC

CKyHC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
Question: When I use 0.3 version, new windows appears with aero effect, after install 0.4 (and use registry 0x9300 fix, not work without him), new windows appears simple and after some milliseconds became aero. Why?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,758 posts

Donator

new windows appears simple and after some milliseconds became aero. Why?

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1031263

CKyHC

CKyHC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
I've read this, but i don't understand: why in 0.3 windows became aero in creation. For me 0.3 better and look faster then 0.4 and no registry dancing needed :)

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
Because previous builds had direct3d debug flag (http://msdn.microsof...f476881(v=vs.85).aspx#Debug) set which probably automatically enabled that compatibility mode. I have not found a proper solution for native feature levels yet but I don't want to publish versions with D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG.

ElvenSpellmaker

ElvenSpellmaker
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Wow I never thought I'd see the day!

It works lovely on Windows 8 (after adding some registry entries), so thank you!

I cannot wait for the first release without the command prompt always being open. =D
I also really hope this continues to work in Windows 8 Blue.

EDIT: I am using this in conjunction with Ex7forW8 and when I activate it, after the first black flash all windows look like Windows 7 (rounded corners and all the other looks) without transparency enabled, which makes me wonder if there is a way to make them look like this permanently

EDIT2: Here is a screenshot of what I mean: https://dl.dropbox.c...assWindows7.png

I will try to release it in a few days including the source code.

Will you be releasing the source code soon? ^^
I doubt I can be of any help at all, but I'd love to read it (I'm fascinated by DLL injections and Windows behaviour modifications).

Edited by ElvenSpellmaker, 03 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Tubbsmcfat

Tubbsmcfat
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Okay where is my C:\DWM folder?

Edited by Tubbsmcfat, 03 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

ORelio

ORelio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
You have to create it in the C:\ drive

Jcee

Jcee

• Members
  • 10 posts

Wow I never thought I'd see the day!

It works lovely on Windows 8 (after adding some registry entries), so thank you!

I cannot wait for the first release without the command prompt always being open. =D
I also really hope this continues to work in Windows 8 Blue.

EDIT: I am using this in conjunction with Ex7forW8 and when I activate it, after the first black flash all windows look like Windows 7 (rounded corners and all the other looks) without transparency enabled, which makes me wonder if there is a way to make them look like this permanently

EDIT2: Here is a screenshot of what I mean: https://dl.dropbox.c...assWindows7.png

I will try to release it in a few days including the source code.

Will you be releasing the source code soon? ^^
I doubt I can be of any help at all, but I'd love to read it (I'm fascinated by DLL injections and Windows behaviour modifications).

this theme may be similar to what your looking for:
http://gsw953onda.de...-8-v1-352577762

skyli

skyli
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Hi! Version 4 is very nice and fast in direc3d mode, but sometimes it just simple crashes. I was moving a window last time when crash occured.

My crash log:
Writing crash log...
uDWM: 0x17D27692: ?
uDWM: 0x17D41366: ?
uDWM: 0x17D41A9D: ?
uDWM: 0x17D26869: ?
uDWM: 0x17D267F5: ?
uDWM: 0x17D0EC3C: ?
KERNEL32: 0x2588167E: ?
ntdll: 0x28233501: ?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users