Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
AERO GLASS for WIN8 BETA 1

Ladies and gentlemen,
let me introduce you the first beta version of Aero Glass utility for Windows 8.

What's new:
* old DWM loader is not supported anymore (because it was the main reason of black screens etc.)
--> AppInit_DLLs approach is supported only
--> installer will be available with final release, now only manual script available
--> registry script is attached in the archive but you must manually edit the file to point to the location where you extract DLL file
--> the glass will automatically load at Windows startup
--> if your computer won't boot up for some reason (glass failure), hold CTRL key during DWM loading and no procedure will be installed into memory

* x86 version is available for download, however it has NOT been tested at all so it is not ensured it works
* change MIL message alpha opacity to 255 when current value is 254
--> this replaces old method of disabling layered windows blending and can be altered by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:ModifyMILContentOpacity (DWORD values 0x0 / 0x1 (default))

* using D2D-like trick in D3D to avoid incorrectly blurred window edges
* fixed incorrect drawing of plain color surfaces resulting in completely transparent controls
* when using AppInit_Dlls, inject into explorer.exe to enable correct taskbar blurring
* fixed crash logs when using AppInit_Dlls
* increased blur radius in D3D mode
* RP-like computing of default inactive border color in D3D mode

* I know I said that I won't add this feature, but since it was easy as hell (just one-line code change), I added feature to have rounded window frames (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:RoundRectRadius (DWORD, Win8 = 0, Win7 = 12)). But I won't support/maintain it more if it does not work as someone expects... let's call it a small Easter egg ;)

https://developer.be...?group_id=13124
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

paul44

paul44

• 13 posts
  • Joined 19-January 09
Thank you a lot! :)

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13
seems i always have problems - does not work for me - but let me confirm i am doing it correctly

i extract the files to E:\dwm\mydwm - i choose that as thats what the reg file has in it

restart and no areo

i also extracted it to c:\dwm and changed that as the path in the reg file - again no aero

i am coming from version 0.5 as 0.6 never worked for me - do i need to delete any reg entries or add or edit any more

so what am i doing wrong??

go back to 0.5 and everything works

Edited by adacom, 01 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

I got nothing either. Extracted to N:\DWM as per post #1 and edited the Reg file to read N: instead of E: - merged the reg file and nothing, no crash either so no logs.

Also following the instructions I see no executable files at all in the extracted files.

I'm looking forward to when the final version is out and there's an installer.

I just used System Restore to return to the state I was in before.

I appreciate your hard work with this but obviously some of us don't "have the knack" !! ;-)

Edited by Ex_Brit, 01 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

Windows 8.1 Upd 1 Pro w/MC

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
Newest version is really quite nice!

What I would like now (and this is likely stuff I must do myself cause its not really related to DWM) is to recolour the Black Text in Active windows for the Aero.theme to White, or recolour the Black Clock + etc text of the taskbar in AeroLite.theme to white. :) Now that Aero is basically perfect, I am pretty darn happy :D

Edit: I had no idea that word would be censored. I best say Darn instead - its basically the same thing and I could not imagine it being censored :)

Edited by drakenabarion, 01 April 2013 - 07:09 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

thanks. I tried the x86 version, but this version doesn't work:

Attached File  32Bit_Aero_Glass_Error.png   14.56KB   100 downloads

Crash.log:

Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x74ACAD49: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\iatfunctions.h (22:0), function: myWndProc
d2d1: 0x74614462: ?

Posted Image

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
Doesn't work for me either, I even edited the reg file to the correct location and does nothing.
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13
Works perfectly for me. For those getting trouble, I placed all the files from the archive into the following directory:
C:\DWM
Then I edited the following file: LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg
and altered the contents to the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"
"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

I saved the changes and then double-clicked the file (LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg) and confirmed that I'd like to alter the registry when the notice appeared. I restarted my computer and everything works fine.

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13
By the way, bigmuscle, which is your preferred technique for rendering Aero Glass; Direct2D or Direct3D?

fireboyche

fireboyche
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 12-January 13
How to make it run v.0.7, because in the .7z file there are 4 .pdb files, 1 .reg file, 1 .dll file?

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

How to make it run v.0.7, because in the .7z file there are 4 .pdb files, 1 .reg file, 1 .dll file?

Well, you can start by reading the readme.txt file. Then you can read the post I posted a couple places above and wish for the best.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

What I would like now (and this is likely stuff I must do myself cause its not really related to DWM) is to recolour the Black Text in Active windows for the Aero.theme to White, or recolour the Black Clock + etc text of the taskbar in AeroLite.theme to white. :) Now that Aero is basically perfect, I am pretty darn happy :D

Yeah, although the coloring could be possible in DWM, it's more theme related.

Crash.log:

Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x74ACAD49: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\iatfunctions.h (22:0), function: myWndProc

It seems to be same thing as in Win8 RP. It looks that internal function for getting colorization parameters has different argument than x64 version. Clicking Ignore should work...

By the way, bigmuscle, which is your preferred technique for rendering Aero Glass; Direct2D or Direct3D?

Direct3D, it is more native...

For non-working cases, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:DeviceFeatureLevel settings still needs to be altered. Then post debug.log if it still does not work.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
Beta working fine here - installed folder to C://DWM & edited .reg accordingly in notepad & then installed - then a quick reboot & bob's yer uncle.

No noticeable issues - have rebooted half a dozen times, logged-in & out, switched users etc - all fine. No problems with Metro or any desktop apps I've tried so far. Tried various "advance settings" for Windows (fades, slides etc) - all working fine. No noticeable issues with SiB. No "feeling" of anything slowing down.

If you or anyone else can give us a simple, reliable way to change titlebar font colour and/or add the "glow" around title text, I reckon that's a big downer of W8 sorted.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
The guy who made W7 theme changed color of titlebar text in his theme when requested it so it's possible editing the theme and by text glow do you mean this?
http://i.imgur.com/0Ug2D5r.png
Title text being more readable?

Edited by Blackbird256, 02 April 2013 - 02:12 AM.

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13
i said above it does not work for me - after a bit of playing i do see some aero - by playing i mean changing the theme i use - in all versions upto 0.5 i used AeroLIte theme - this was [i think] a carry over from trying to get diffident coloured text in window title bars

if i now go back to Win8 standard theme then 0.7 works - colours of aero are awful but i guess that just as i have it and taskbar whilst aero is grey - again i guess thats me

i suspect all the above will be true for 0.6 - which also did not work for me

i have never played much with themes - people talk about win 7 theme and others that work well - without reading back 36 pages - would those who have it working well post the theme they are using and if possible a download or link

to Bigmuscle and the mods - if you think this a bad idea please feel free to edit the above - but it seems to me more people have problems that enough and maybe this is the reason

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
adacom: as I understand correctly, you were using a theme which has completely opaque frame texture and thus it can't work.

pengipete: when I'm back home I will upload a theme resource (just PNG which can be applied via registry settings) which is default Win8 theme but with glow effect included.

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13
@bigmuscle - thanks for the comment - i am learning as i go - what has been confusing me is that up to 0.5 the theme i am using worked fine - something changed from 0.6 - i had not realised that and posted the above as a hint/help to others who also may have the problem

the fault is mine but not having any knowledge i did not see it

to help others it could be useful if you stated that and included a download to a theme that you are using - know works - it may not suit users but would show your aero working

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Default Windows 8 theme works nice if you play with GlassTransparency registry key and color intensity settings in control panel. I use this theme http://misaki2009.de...8-RTM-327134245

However, I have noticed that Win8 RTM Color settings control panel sets a bit different values (mainly for ColorizationColorBalance and ColorizationBlurBalance) in registry than Win8 RP which results that D3D mode transparency is not so transparent as once would expect. Maybe someone could rewrite Windows control panel to send better values :-)

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
Does the RoundRectRadius work only with the default theme? It doesn't do anything.
Oh it looks like there is still something filling it
http://i.imgur.com/2lfsp6P.png

BTW Good job this is so much better now. I really look forward to final release :w00t:

Edited by Blackbird256, 02 April 2013 - 04:49 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
According to you image, it works as expected. The option just creates the window with rounded border but it does not touch your theme texture. Thus you need the theme where the texture has rounded edges too.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

AERO GLASS for WIN8 BETA 1

Works perfectly, with this version the windows are still laggy with the GPU idle clock profiles but the lag is less noticeable, moving the window a bit will change the p-state and the lag will disappear but the p-state will change again in idle, for now I will live with it...

--edit--

Increasing the clocks of an idle profile will improve performance but when opening more than 3 windows guess what, the lag appear, forcing a higher p-state and again, performance is improved, this time the lag will appear after opening not 3 but 6 or 7 windows, forcing the highest p-state, the gaming profile, will fix the problem but who wants the highest clock profile in desktop/idle? This is not native aero, it's like a D3D game with huge system requirements. :crazy:

Edited by Tusticles, 02 April 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

According to you image, it works as expected. The option just creates the window with rounded border but it does not touch your theme texture. Thus you need the theme where the texture has rounded edges too.

Aha. I'll tell him then. I'll play GTAIV EFLC now to test if there are no peformance hits.

deltebews

deltebews

• Banned
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13

Crash.log:

Writing crash log...

It seems to be same thing as in Win8 RP. It looks that internal function for getting colorization parameters has different argument than x64 version. Clicking Ignore should work...

Have the same problem. Clicking Ignore doesn't help - start -> error -> ignore -> transparent works fine -> error -> any button -> DWM restart

Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x7443AD49: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\iatfunctions.h (22:0), function: myWndProc
d2d1: 0x74000000: ?

Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x7448F0ED: f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\prebuild\rtc\error.cpp (248:0), function: failwithmessage
DWMGlass: 0x7448ECF9: f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\prebuild\rtc\error.cpp (272:11), function: _RTC_Failure
DWMGlass: 0x744651A9: f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\prebuild\rtc\stack.cpp (52:11), function: _RTC_CheckEsp
DWMGlass: 0x74457B19: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\settingsmanager.cpp (120:54), function: SettingsManager::loadColorizationSettings

Without clicking on error message buttons everything works fine.

Edited by deltebews, 02 April 2013 - 05:37 AM.

Nik7

Nik7
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
Hi there, i tried the beta 1 (on windows 8 x64) but on my pc didn't work, it neither start with windows, i have the default windows theme, and obviously i configured the reg. file correctly but it won't start...strange, because the v 0.6 were working properly... Any ideas?

stonyi1966

stonyi1966

• 23 posts
  • Joined 06-November 12
Thank you, Works great, but I can't help wonder how long it's going to take Microsoft to put Glass back into Win 8. Now that you have it working so well I'm sure once it reaches final build nearly every Win 8 user will have it installed. The way Microsoft is they'll have to be jerks and replace it themselves just to be jerks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users