Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

jb3555

jb3555

• 22 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
Windows 8 x86:
Starts with the error, but aero may work after several presses of ignore button. However error still appears and it makes your tweak unusable.
Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x74FCAD49: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\iatfunctions.h (22:0), function: myWndProc

Writing crash log...
DWMGlass: 0x74FCAD49: d:\projekty\aeroglass\mydwm-dx11\dwmhook\iatfunctions.h (22:0), function: myWndProc

Writing crash log...

debuglog - http://pastebin.com/Hrq8ee9y

Thanks for your work! Hope this error will be fixed soon.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
Well I finally got it to work and it works well. I look forward to the final version. Also, how do I donate? Do you accept PayPal?

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864, 02 April 2013 - 06:43 AM.

PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

Thank you, Works great, but I can't help wonder how long it's going to take Microsoft to put Glass back into Win 8. Now that you have it working so well I'm sure once it reaches final build nearly every Win 8 user will have it installed. The way Microsoft is they'll have to be jerks and replace it themselves just to be jerks.

At the moment they have no intention of ever reintroducing it. But it would be nice if they made it part of an optional enhancement pack. I doubt that'll ever happen.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

Windows 8.1 Upd 1 Pro w/MC

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

Can someone direct me to the post that outlines the correct way to adjust registry keys to change the parameters (colour, transparency etc).

Peter
Toronto, Canada

Nik7

Nik7
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
ok, I solved by disabling the UEFI secure boot, seem that there are some compatibility issues with the new secure boot.... :yes:

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13
Works perfecly for me, note that I'm still using Direct2D instead of Direct3D because of the way windows are colored in Direct3D.
@Ex_Brit: Take a look at http://www.msfn.org/...33#entry1032633
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

Ah thanks. I have yet to play around with this. I may have been premature saying it didn't work because now I read that sometimes all one has to do is change the theme to get things rolling. I'll play some more with this.
Meanwhile I see that your AGTweaker is still playing catch up. Hopefully this will all end soon!!

Peter
Toronto, Canada

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

How strange. Did everything as described, altered the reg file to match my drive letter N and merged. Rebooted, tried changing themes. No DWM entry in HKLM and no Aero Glass.

But the HKCU entry is there.

I wonder if Stardock's Start8 is interfering? However I haven't disabled translucency at all.

Edited by Ex_Brit, 02 April 2013 - 09:06 AM.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

Strange it wasn't working then I installed the latest AGTweaker and eureka!

It now works. Thanks ;-)

What does one do to undo things once the final version is released?

Edited by Ex_Brit, 02 April 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
HKLM...DWM key is not in Win8 by default because you are not supposed to touch it. It is intended for global technicals parameters only. All possible keys are available in HKCU but still.. it is better to adjust colorization settings in Control panel itself :yes:
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13
Just updated the GUI, it creates registry keys for you if you have some trouble creating them yourself: http://msfn.org/board/topic/162036-/
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

ok, I solved by disabling the UEFI secure boot, seem that there are some compatibility issues with the new secure boot.... :yes:

Ah, you are right, just found this discussion http://social.msdn.m...5-ec22d2f58a57/ but probably no solution :(

Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 15-September 04

Donator

HKLM...DWM key is not in Win8 by default because you are not supposed to touch it. It is intended for global technicals parameters only. All possible keys are available in HKCU but still.. it is better to adjust colorization settings in Control panel itself :yes:

OK, thanks ;-)

Just updated the GUI, it creates registry keys for you if you have some trouble creating them yourself: http://msfn.org/board/topic/162036-/

..and thanks also ;-)

Peter
Toronto, Canada

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Worked perfectly on my x64 VM, didn't have to change any settings from the last version, just edited the reg file and logged out and then logged in and working 100%, no noticeable lag, no random crashing when opening start menu (with SIB) as I was getting in all previous versions, only thing I have noticed so far is if you restart explorer (using a right click context shortcut) the whole screen is blurred for a second, I was just wondering though if you plan on making blur and rounded corners optional in your final release, I love that you have found a way to bring back all these features but personally I prefer no blur at all and have it disabled in Windows 7 on explorer windows anyway.

Also one other question, with that registry setting for rounded corners, is there any way to reverse that effect and make corners square in Windows 7?

Here's a preview of mine with a Windows 7 theme I imported, made changes to the fram to make it square but I guess I can have rounded again now as well thanks to you :)

Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Worked perfectly on my x64 VM, didn't have to change any settings from the last version, just edited the reg file and logged out and then logged in and working 100%, no noticeable lag, no random crashing when opening start menu (with SIB) as I was getting in all previous versions, only thing I have noticed so far is if you restart explorer (using a right click context shortcut) the whole screen is blurred for a second, I was just wondering though if you plan on making blur and rounded corners optional in your final release, I love that you have found a way to bring back all these features but personally I prefer no blur at all and have it disabled in Windows 7 on explorer windows anyway.

Also one other question, with that registry setting for rounded corners, is there any way to reverse that effect and make corners square in Windows 7?

Is there any possibility (i.e. registry key) to disable blur and leave transparency only in Windows 7? If yes, then this settings must work here too (and I just don't respect that settings), but no custom settings will be done in D3D...you can still set to D2D mode and set BlurDeviation to zero.
Rounded corners will stay as it is - just simple registry settings, nothing more, nothing less. And yes, it can be modified in Windows 7. Since it is only hooking of CreateRoundRectRgn which is called when window frame is created, then I guess my utility will work in Windows 7 too without any additional modifications (and aero glass won't be touched at all).

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Is there any possibility (i.e. registry key) to disable blur and leave transparency only in Windows 7? If yes, then this settings must work here too (and I just don't respect that settings), but no custom settings will be done in D3D...you can still set to D2D mode and set BlurDeviation to zero.
Rounded corners will stay as it is - just simple registry settings, nothing more, nothing less. And yes, it can be modified in Windows 7. Since it is only hooking of CreateRoundRectRgn which is called when window frame is created, then I guess my utility will work in Windows 7 too without any additional modifications (and aero glass won't be touched at all).

Yeah it can be done in windows 7 and in Vista with a registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"ColorizationOpaqueBlend"=dword:00000000
"HideBlur"=dword:00000001

Will have to give it a go on 7 and see what happens :)

test12w

test12w
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 26-January 13
Why the error??
Attached File  capture.JPG   35.6KB   7 downloads
Attached File  crash.txt   645bytes   5 downloads
Attached File  debug.txt   96.34KB   3 downloads

ObiWanKenobi

ObiWanKenobi
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
Just posting to confirm that disabling UEFI Secure Boot does the trick :thumbup Also as a suggestion, maybe it could be added as a note in the OP ;)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,105 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Clicking Ignore should work...

no, yo get the same error over and over again.

The x64Version works fine :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

However, I have noticed that Win8 RTM Color settings control panel sets a bit different values (mainly for ColorizationColorBalance and ColorizationBlurBalance) in registry than Win8 RP which results that D3D mode transparency is not so transparent as once would expect. Maybe someone could rewrite Windows control panel to send better values :-)

What are the default Windows 8 Release Preview values in the registry for what you mentioned (including ColorizationColorBalance and ColorizationBlurBalance)?

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
It depends on used wallpaper, but default wallpaper with roses generates these values:

AfterGlowBalance = 7
BlurBalance = 31
ColorBalance = 62
Color/AfterGlow = 0xaf34bbeb

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
The new works fine, but only in D2D mode. The windows doesn't turn transparent in D3D mode, it remains the same as before. All the previous versions with D3D had similar problems. My Laptop runs on Intel HD 3000 adapter, maybe that is the problem?

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

The new works fine, but only in D2D mode. The windows doesn't turn transparent in D3D mode, it remains the same as before. All the previous versions with D3D had similar problems. My Laptop runs on Intel HD 3000 adapter, maybe that is the problem?

Lower the color intensity in Personalization Menu?

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13

Lower the color intensity in Personalization Menu?

WoW...that worked...why exactly is this the problem? Thank you for the solution.

Sc0rian

Sc0rian
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
how do you stop the pop up message? i get it from boot and every 30mins.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users