Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Could I suggest adding a "Enable/Disable Transparency" checkbox so that we don't have to disable the dll to disable glass?

Yeah, I want to do this (+ add some automatization such disabling when on battery etc.). My algorithm is prepared for it, so it is just about adding checkbox somewhere into GUI. Currently, it can be done by setting ColorizationBlurBalance and ColroizationAfterglowBalance to 0x0 and restarting DWM (but I don't remember if it is the only needed change.)

Edited by bigmuscle, 10 May 2013 - 02:48 PM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
Well thats really odd. I swear it didn't work at all with the old one. I'll try something else.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

There is more things I don't understand. I had udwm.dll version 16420, now I checked and it is 16384 (some automatic downgrade?) and I also found udwm.dll in winsxs folder of version 20521. But all of them seem to be compatible.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
Well unless you did system restore or something then that is like really weird. On my main PC I still have 16420.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

And did it display "DWM is incompatible" message box when the error appeared?

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
No it didn't which is why I posted here, because it didn't make sense.

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13
I'm having issues with this version. Beta 3 worked fine but I don't get any transparency at all with this version. I've tried adjusting the colour intensity in the Personalisation settings but still none. The taskbar is also completely opaque.
Here is my debug log. At the beginning of the file is the following:

[0x384] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x384] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x384] DWM1 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x384] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM6 hooked successfuly

My C:\Windows\System32\uDWM.dll file version is 6.2.9200.16384

If it means anything, I updated my PC early this morning and updates were installed.

Attached Files

Edited by vjott, 10 May 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13
Sounds exactly like my issue with the 16384 uDWM. There appears to be something funky about it.

hello2u

hello2u

• 43 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

I'm having issues with this version. Beta 3 worked fine but I don't get any transparency at all with this version. I've tried adjusting the colour intensity in the Personalisation settings but still none. The taskbar is also completely opaque.
Here is my debug log. At the beginning of the file is the following:

[0x384] Hook (RegQueryValueExW) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateWindowExW) installed
[0x384] Delayed hook (D3D11CreateDevice) installed
[0x384] Hook (CreateRoundRectRgn) installed
[0x384] DWM1 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM2 failed (0).
[0x384] DWM3 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM4 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM5 hooked successfuly
[0x384] DWM6 hooked successfuly

My C:\Windows\System32\uDWM.dll file version is 6.2.9200.16384

If it means anything, I updated my PC early this morning and updates were installed.

you can narrow it down by seeing if beta 3 still works.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Yeah, I checked again and function DWM2 (which is the new one in RC0) is really not compatible with version 9.2.9200.16384 of uDWM.dll. I've fixed the issue but since it is old version of uDWM, it is not so important. You can fix it by windows update (to have version 16420).

Edited by bigmuscle, 10 May 2013 - 03:35 PM.

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Sounds exactly like my issue with the 16384 uDWM. There appears to be something funky about it.

I've just installed additional updates and now, magically, it's working!

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13
Also, bigmuscle, what is the swatches.reg supposed to do? I've applied it (after setting the permissions of the key in the registry) and I don't notice anything different.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Newest version still doesn't seem to be changing inactive colors, no matter which color I select the inactive frames are light blue. The transparency is also unchanging for the inactive window no matter the color intensity, which makes reading the window captions impossible if the inactive window is over a dark background...

Example: click
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Newest version still doesn't seem to be changing inactive colors, no matter which color I select the inactive frames are light blue. The transparency is also unchanging for the inactive window no matter the color intensity, which makes reading the window captions impossible if the inactive window is over a dark background...

Try using native blur

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Applied RC0 and it worked, then deleted all files and re-applied RC0 and I have a black screen...

dwmcore.dll 6.2.9200.16433

There is something wrong with device future level, I have this setting to Auto but there is a problem with dx11 and dx11.1, with dx11 it's working but a after a while the screen turns black, dx11.1 will make the screen black instantly after applying, crash log is empty.

--edit--

Tried again, now the glass was applied with auto device feature level but taskbar and startisback have no blur so I tried to restart explorer, in the previous versions this fixed the issue but after restarting explorer, surprise, black screen, then re-applied dwmglass after a force restart , but the screen turned black again after a few minutes... This is happening with any directx, from 9 to 11. Version 0.9 is working fine, no black screen. blur is applied correctly to start menu and taskbar.

Edited by Tusticles, 11 May 2013 - 05:11 AM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

There is more things I don't understand. I had udwm.dll version 16420, now I checked and it is 16384 (some automatic downgrade?) and I also found udwm.dll in winsxs folder of version 20521. But all of them seem to be compatible.

Very interesting that what sounds like a system DLL is actually showing up in multiple versions (including one newer than the one in Windows itself) inside WinSxS.

Posted Image

-Noel

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,162 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

those 20xxx file versions are LDR, the 16xxx are GDR. LDR contains hotfix code, while GDR only conatin normal code which is safe to be used by all users.

The files come from Update KB2756872. So if you have a lower file version, make sure you install this update:

http://search.micros...spx?q=KB2756872
Posted Image

vindent

vindent
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 14-September 12

Here is my RP theme, sorry for not reading the private messages...

There are two versions, one with modified navigation bar, this will affect Internet Explorer, but since I don't use IE I don't give a f*ck about it and one without navigation bar modification. I hex edited UIRibbon.dll to change the color of ribbon, only for 64bit users, who have x86 can share the dll and I will modify it.

Download

Link dead....can u give me anther link?

Gabe

Gabe

• 15 posts
  • Joined 01-May 13
Was native blur removed in this version? It doesn't seem to have the speed or artifacts associated with the one in 0.8-0.90.

Also, wanted to point out a typo in the warning message. "ON" should be "AT" because the expression is "AT YOUR OWN RISK."

lolchampion

lolchampion

• 12 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13
After update to RC0, i got a black screen after enter desktop after boot.
Sometime I am lucky enough to enter desktop(By holding CTRL while switch from metro to desktop), The glass in windows border are working correctly, but the blur in task bar is gone. If i drag a windows and make taskbar overlay with it, a black screen appear.

If I change device future level to 0x9300, everything is working perfectly.

Attached Files

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

My link

There are two versions, one with modified navigation bar, this will affect Internet Explorer, but since I don't use IE I don't give a f*ck about it and one without navigation bar modification. I hex edited UIRibbon.dll to change the color of ribbon, only for 64bit users, who have x86 can share the dll and I will modify it.

Download

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Because your have invalid colorization settings for inactive frames. Just post a screenshot of your registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and we will see where the problem is ;-)

Was native blur removed in this version? It doesn't seem to have the speed or artifacts associated with the one in 0.8-0.90.

Yes, there is no native blur now. Why? I said it million-times that this mode is not supposed to be used at all and that all versions are intended for testing only. So what is the purpose of your testing when you disable the code to test?

Sometime I am lucky enough to enter desktop(By holding CTRL while switch from metro to desktop), The glass in windows border are working correctly, but the blur in task bar is gone. If i drag a windows and make taskbar overlay with it, a black screen appear.

Do you have 32-bit version? If yes, then it is possible because several versions of 32-bit system DLLs contains different optimizations which can totally break everything. If this is true, please send me your shell32.dll (via PM) + there should be crashlog.txt in the same folder as you extracted dwmglass.dll.

Edited by bigmuscle, 11 May 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Because your have invalid colorization settings for inactive frames. Just post a screenshot of your registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and we will see where the problem is ;-)

Here is is: click
One thing I see there is the duplicate UseNativeBlur entry (removed the one with 0x1)
What will happen if I delete the ColorizationColorInactive entry?

P.s.: I didn't import the swatches.

Edited by Soukyuu, 11 May 2013 - 04:50 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Download

Check your PM.

lolchampion

lolchampion

• 12 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

Yes, there is no native blur now. Why? I said it million-times that this mode is not supposed to be used at all and that all versions are intended for testing only. So what is the purpose of your testing when you disable the code to test?

Do you have 32-bit version? If yes, then it is possible because several versions of 32-bit system DLLs contains different optimizations which can totally break everything. If this is true, please send me your shell32.dll (via PM) + there should be crashlog.txt in the same folder as you extracted dwmglass.dll.

I am using 64-bit version. After i managed to boot back into desktop, I cannot found crashlog.txt, only debug.log exist.

Edited by lolchampion, 11 May 2013 - 04:58 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users