Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

))) I don't know, but this is open forum and topic. It is stupid thinking that they don't looking here.

If you actually have something to say, please use enough words so that others don't have to try to guess at what you mean, and while you're at it please delete the excessive quoting.

Personally I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to have done some things to Windows 8.1 that may break BigMuscle's approach, at least for a while, but we can hope it will be something that can be worked around. Their leadership doesn't seem to be wavering on its course toward the rocks. I don't know how it is that some people get to define such obviously wrong directions and have big companies stick with them for years, seeming without anyone noticing that they're about to trash the whole company.

-Noel

Thing is in Win8, glass wasn't really "removed." There were only bits and pieces of code removed or changed to disable it. BigMuscle did an excellent job hooking into a lot of this. But this was done last minute at a time where Microsoft wouldn't have had time to fully remove it and test it long enough to ensure it didn't break anything. In 8.1 there's no doubt that they've removed more code to help optimize things further, and BigMuscle's solution will NOT work for a while. It will most likely require some pretty large changes to re-implement a lot of the features that he's counting on right now for it to work. Seeing how skilled he is, I have confidence that he could get something working, but it will be tough.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

leddith

leddith
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-May 13
How do I delete the reg. file added in the betas?

KeithPickering

KeithPickering
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 17-April 13
What would Microsoft have to gain by making a third party aero glass solution incompatible with 8.1?

Windows is, at its core, all about customization. I'm sure Microsoft would love for their OS to be as locked down as OSX, but there'd be quite an uproar if they started banning third party software.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
Nice work bigmuscle, the RC1 seems to be working properly on both Intel HD 3000 and on nVidia 9500GT. Till now no flickering or artifacts on both systems.

I have attached the debug.log for both these systems below.

Intel HD 3000: debug.log
nVidia 9500GT: debug.log

As you said in the release log, that there won't be any crash log, instead a minidump, will this require any internet connection to download the appropriate files from MS servers (as you said a couple of days back)...?

The reason I am asking is because I don't have a constant internet connection on any of my systems.

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

What would Microsoft have to gain by making a third party aero glass solution incompatible with 8.1?

It's not about doing it purposely. If Microsoft can make DWM more efficient by changing the way it works internally, they will, but with the risk that it breaks some random third party mod to hack in a feature that they removed. They won't do it purposely but I can bet you money they don't care if it breaks this.

mikedigitize

mikedigitize

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13
I have been following this thread since february and now with rc1, I finally installed it and I is overjoyed. Thank U BM, You bring back the joy to windows 8!
/Mike

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

As you said in the release log, that there won't be any crash log, instead a minidump, will this require any internet connection to download the appropriate files from MS servers (as you said a couple of days back)...?

Nope, minidump does not need any files from MS servers and they don't even need any PDB files. It is a footprint of DWM process memory, so I can analyze it on my own PC more deeply than simple exception callstack in text file provides. The only disadvantage is the size of minidump file which is over 100 MBytes.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Personally I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to have done some things to Windows 8.1 that may break BigMuscle's approach, at least for a while, but we can hope it will be something that can be worked around.

I wanted to check the changes in Win8.1 DWM but the debug symbols are not available for build 9385 so it is very hard to see anything.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13

Nope, minidump does not need any files from MS servers and they don't even need any PDB files. It is a footprint of DWM process memory, so I can analyze it on my own PC more deeply than simple exception callstack in text file provides. The only disadvantage is the size of minidump file which is over 100 MBytes.

OK. Still it can be compressed using 7z or similar formats.

EDIT:
Everything looks better in Aero
Posted Image

Edited by Rayn19, 19 May 2013 - 05:31 AM.

kopierkatze

kopierkatze
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-February 12
@bigmuscle: This is a very interesting project!
I've been playing around with system DLL hooks for quite some time to do some nice things (... ;-) ) so I can assume that your hack required a lot of work! Thank you for that!

I've always been a great fan of the gray "Windows 2000"-style classic Windows theme. Actually, that's the reason why I stick to Windows 7.
Would it be possible to get this classic theme on Windows 8 with your DWM hooks?

I'm quite familiar with C++ and Win32 API, so I can offer you my help for that.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,167 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I wanted to check the changes in Win8.1 DWM but the debug symbols are not available for build 9385 so it is very hard to see anything.

wait 1 month when the preview is released at BUILD.

Btw, the flickering in Firefox when scrolling comes from other windows which are behind firefox.
Posted Image

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

@bigmuscle: This is a very interesting project!
I've been playing around with system DLL hooks for quite some time to do some nice things (... ;-) ) so I can assume that your hack required a lot of work! Thank you for that!

I've always been a great fan of the gray "Windows 2000"-style classic Windows theme. Actually, that's the reason why I stick to Windows 7.
Would it be possible to get this classic theme on Windows 8 with your DWM hooks?

I'm quite familiar with C++ and Win32 API, so I can offer you my help for that.

If you like the classic theme you might like this
http://xxinightxx.de...eview-372496917
It's not released yet though.

Edited by Blackbird256, 19 May 2013 - 12:37 PM.

snowglider

snowglider
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 10-April 13
Hi, just to give some feedback on RC1 - all working so far! :) Well done. Not found any problems and both transparency and blur working nicely, and working on both monitors! Well done.

(Bog standard install, no custom themes, no swatches edit, nvidia graphics card with latest drivers).

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
RC1 works flawlessly here, as well. See sig for specs.
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Can't change the inactive color, after the dwm process is restarted the color is updated but if you move the windows, the inactive color returns to default color.

Edited by Tusticles, 20 May 2013 - 10:16 AM.

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 13-May 13
This is fantastic, the last version does work for me.

I did the installation with the executable and then changed the path into the registry since it was still pointing to the old location.

I changed color intensity and there it is, i got aero on Windows 8.

This is fantastic :)

Great work and good continuation.

By the way it is running on a very slow computer (CPU : A2-1800) and it doesn't seems to affect the CPU.

zampONakiaskiou

zampONakiaskiou

• 12 posts
  • Joined 20-May 13
Forgive my stupidity, but how i make this work?
I downloaded the installer and i installed it...
What else i have to do?Is there a "how to" somewhere?
Thanks for your work bigmuscle and everyone else who might helped with this..

Ok i made it work with some search here...
In the final version a how to would be awesome i guess cuz there are many dumbheads like me out there.. :P
Perfect job the default style seems so pretty with aero!
I like more this style than the windows 7 one..

Edited by zampONakiaskiou, 20 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Gabe

Gabe

• 12 posts
  • Joined 01-May 13
RC1 seems to be working perfectly here, too. Windows Mobility Center only acts up when I apply the "Default" custom theme resource.

theKramer

theKramer

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06

Donator

Hi all.
Is this making anyone elses screen go completely black?
0.8 worked fine, but 0.9.x versions make my screen go completely black for at least 5 to 10 minutes....

My vid card is an nvidia 8400GS.
My board is a UEFI board, but dont think secure boot is an issue as v0.8 worked ok previously, and havent changed anything in BIOS since.

Is there any other info I can post to help troubleshoot this issue.

Thx

Edited by theKramer, 20 May 2013 - 03:11 PM.

dazl

dazl
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 29-April 13
With what RC versiion will the every 1 hour beta popup finally be removed? It makes full screen gaming literally impossible. Release candidates generally means the software is no longer beta anyway so I really don't see the point..............................................................

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
Ok, today I noticed that Explorer restarted a few times. (Taskbar and Windows Explorer stopped responding, desktop image and taskbar disappeared briefly and reappeared).

There is no crash.log or minidump, so I do not have any debuging logs to share. I guess I cannot be surethat it has anything to do with AeroGlass - it might be unrelated. But, I think it might be worth mentioning. *shrug* :D

Oh, also. I cannot modify the inactive window colours. They keep resetting.

Other than that, its working great. I have not seen one Artefact in days.

DimasKid

DimasKid

• 28 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

Forgive my stupidity, but how i make this work?
I downloaded the installer and i installed it...
What else i have to do?Is there a "how to" somewhere?
Thanks for your work bigmuscle and everyone else who might helped with this..

Ok i made it work with some search here...
In the final version a how to would be awesome i guess cuz there are many dumbheads like me out there.. :P
Perfect job the default style seems so pretty with aero!
I like more this style than the windows 7 one..

Sorry, may be there is some problem with the installer version, but you can activate it by changging the Registry Value of AppInit's DLL, to the installation directory :)

tmsmasterlov

tmsmasterlov
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 17-April 13
Hi I have a problem with AGtweaker ive installed it bet to my ability's and I cant get aero please could someone help I get the tweaker up but no setting will work ? thanks Sean

snowglider

snowglider
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 10-April 13
Just if people are interested, Stardock have released Window Blinds 8 beta (v7.90). Just tried it, works well, even got a 'windows 8 RTM' style theme, with transparency, blur, and highlighted/glowing text in the title bar.

Would be good to see this released still mind due to it supporting the default windows 8 style with transparency, and supporting actual windows skins.

Edit : Discovered a few things that don't work with window blinds already, so had to turn it off (probably could go through the usual app exclusion stuff, but can't be bothered) so hope this comes out soon as final release without the dialog box!!! :)

Edited by snowglider, 21 May 2013 - 03:25 AM.

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13

Hi I have a problem with AGtweaker ive installed it bet to my ability's and I cant get aero please could someone help I get the tweaker up but no setting will work ? thanks Sean

Support topic for AGTweaker is here: http://www.msfn.org/.../topic/162036-/
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users