Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

The new version shows 2 incompatible DLLs, shell32.dll and themecpl.dll.

shell32.dll: 6.2.9200.16547

themecpl.dll: 6.2.9200.16394

and here's my debug log.

I am still seeing artefacts on the glass. NativeGlass is enabled, btw whats its value is it 0x00000001 or 0x10000000, as Tusticles stated?

The new version shows 2 incompatible DLLs, shell32.dll and themecpl.dll.

shell32.dll: 6.2.9200.16547

themecpl.dll: 6.2.9200.16394

and here's my debug log.

I am still seeing artefacts on the glass. NativeGlass is enabled, btw whats its value is it 0x00000001 or 0x10000000, as Tusticles stated?

I have to work out a better way of detecting needed functions in DLL files. Now it can get broken with any windows updates.

Please, do not report any bugs for NativeGlass, this will never be fixed. Value 0x10000000 is nothing, or better it is value 268435456 which has absolutely no meaning.

Please, do not report any bugs for NativeGlass, this will never be fixed. Value 0x10000000 is nothing, or better it is value 268435456 which has absolutely no meaning.

Then why did you added NativeBlur option? Btw, could you tell me why DWM Glass is not applied correctly to taskbar with startisback installed?

since i installed 0.8 i have had problems - it worked fine on install but i then lost blur completely - in this instance i can say i did nothing but a reboot - i tried the test version and that was no better - i went back through the earlier versions - first to 0.7 that did not help - then to 0.3 as i think those in between and more test versions ?? - once 0.3 was installed blur returned

i then went back to 0.8 and i have again got blur but when i change from inactive to active window the aero effect takes a split second to show - the title bar starts black and then aero kicks in

i am guessing this is not the software but stuff in my registry left over from earlier installs and theme changes - if it is - no big deal as this system is not far off a clean install but i report it in case it is not

all that said would it be a good idea to add a registry file to take things back to microsoft standard before adding or changing anything - if thats part of the install then excuse the question

Then why did you added NativeBlur option? Btw, could you tell me why DWM Glass is not applied correctly to taskbar with startisback installed?

NativeBlur sense - It is written in changelog. Please, read it.

I don't know what your problem with StartIsBack is. I don't use it. But for having taskbar correctly blurred, two things must be done - 1) blurBehindWindow must be enabled for taskbar (I guess it is what SiB does when you check "Disable transparency" and 2) accent for taskbar must be disabled (else you get the taskbar double coloured resulting in very small opacity. My utility does both things when explorer starts up, I'm not sure about SiB.

i then went back to 0.8 and i have again got blur but when i change from inactive to active window the aero effect takes a split second to show - the title bar starts black and then aero kicks in

This has already been written. It is not bug, it is by design and appears even in Win7. When you enable native blur, it will black. When native blur is off (by default), then it will be completely transparent until the window is completely opened. In Win7, it is transparent too but colorized - this is what I want to do for next version.

ok, after some tries it finally works on my laptop. And it also works for 32Bit now fine:

post-70718-0-92224600-1366123607_thumb.p

It is so great. Performance is good (the delay before the Windows got the glass is gone). I'm so happy :):thumbup:w00t:

btw, why does my crash.log never shows the correct callstack? What are the requirements?

How you made to get away delay before windows got the glass? I can't do that from version 0.3 - in all newest versions windows opens without blur and transparency, and after small visible delay bacome with aero glass.

NativeBlur sense - It is written in changelog. Please, read it.

I don't know what your problem with StartIsBack is. I don't use it. But for having taskbar correctly blurred, two things must be done - 1) blurBehindWindow must be enabled for taskbar (I guess it is what SiB does when you check "Disable transparency" and 2) accent for taskbar must be disabled (else you get the taskbar double coloured resulting in very small opacity. My utility does both things when explorer starts up, I'm not sure about SiB.

To Start menu the DWMGlass is applied correctly but not to taskbar, why the StartisBack don't leave the taskbar as it is...

Edited by Tusticles

I don't mean to add any pressure, BigMuscle, but yesterday evening I began to notice some reports about Microsoft returning some emphasis on making the desktop easier to use in Windows Blue (8.1).

For example: http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/

They don't mention restoring Aero Glass, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Aero Glass with a good theme can make or break Windows usability on the desktop as compared to the crap desktop support that comes out of the box with Windows 8.

Frankly, I'd love to see you get 100 million users of Aero Glass for Win8.

-Noel

This has already been written. It is not bug, it is by design and appears even in Win7. When you enable native blur, it will black. When native blur is off (by default), then it will be completely transparent until the window is completely opened. In Win7, it is transparent too but colorized - this is what I want to do for next version.

thanks - i am now running 0.3 and am seeing it - which i never did before - as said i think the problem is mine - just trying to understand what i need to do to get it back to standard

I know about this problem and I admit that it is a bit worse after removing layered windows. I'm trying to find the best solution for it but since it appears just for a split of second, it does not have the highest priority. If you don't use native blur than it looks usable (fully transparent) except of windows which appears for a while only (e.g. copy dialogs etc.).

Tusticles: I don't think that SiB changes the taskbar properties if you don't explicitely change it in its settings. But I can't said it with 100% certainty :-)

I decided not to use this until the final or a stable version is released! I tested enough, no errors but optimization is the problem, at least for me... I still want to have rounded borders, it is possible to create a small dll for rounded borders only? Thank you!

I decided not to use this until the final or a stable version is released! I tested enough, no errors but optimization is the problem, at least for me... I still want to have rounded borders, it is possible to create a small dll for rounded borders only? Thank you!

I'm out too.

I think BM needs to play with this in his bedroom for a while yet cos what we're seeing between versions is not developments, it's completely different applications. We've had entirely different HIVES used within the registry and never so much as a hint at what can or cant be deleted, no indication of what the DWM registry keys can or can't be used for and the result so far is not even remotely close to useable.

Worse than that though - I'm fed-up of having to trawl backwards and forwards through hundreds of posts to try and find what BM has changed this time. He's been asked to do the usual thing and provide all links and update info in the first post but he's ignored that. And if anyone asks any serious questions, they are either met with defensive and dismissive insults or brushed aside with jargon-filled gobbledygook and snide responses about then not knowing about the registry or "read the 'read me'". Sorry but if all I wanted to do was "read the read me", why would I need to bother using this forum AND PROVIDING YOU WITH FEEDBACK?

The reality is that you plan on making money out of this and there are people here who are willing to help you for free - and your arrogant tone is annoying, Telling beta-tester to RTFM is pathetic and all it says is that you are incapable of providing clarity in your own thread because you actually don't know what you are doing.

For those who have problems with native blur, make sure 'UseNativeBlur' have this value 0x10000000 and not 0x00000001.

I don't even understand how this is possible to set this to 0x10000000

blur_check.PNG

???

Makes no sense.

Edited by Tarzikaf