Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

DimasKid

DimasKid

• 28 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

My OS in Windows 8 x64. I have installed an installer version for Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC1 x64 recently. I didn't use Glass Colorization Swatches.reg. After that I uninstalled the application and deleted the DWM folder in C:/ Now I have a flickering black screen (LED backlight on - off) after reboot. The safe mode doesn't work. After several attempts to reboot I get BSOD BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. What should I do? (I would like not to reinstall Windows)

This happened to me when i test it :} , it comes like that because there is some updated windows files that forcing to load the AppInit DLL Files, i'am sure that you not delete the registry value of AppInit.
There is no solution for me :( , so i just re -install my windows / reset / referesh it, as it was my own risk to install this software :D

So, like big muscle say. Use this software at your own risk, this still RC (Recandidate) version, not a final release version :yes:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC2

* optimized buffer size
* send integer screen size to vertex shader (this should reduce occasional flickering)
* improved D3D error handling

This version does not bring anything important now. It just contains several internal optimizations which I need to test before final release to decide whether to include them now or postpone them for some later 1.x release.

Glad to see these optimizations. The less resources it takes the better.

Waad

Waad
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-May 13
Well, I expected that the RC version can crush my system. But I also have Windows XP x86 (sic!) in dual-boot with Windows 8 and I can load and edit the hives of Win8 registry. I have deleted the keys connected with AppInit DLL in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, but there's no changes. The best I get is a black screen with a cursor. Finally, it will be better and faster for me to install this Win8 in a virtual machine and compare certain system files / registry keys, which of them were changed. Then I can replace the changed files with originals.
Moreover, I have Linux Mint as third OS on my laptop, besides Windows! :hello: If Windows don't allow to replace or even copy system files, Linux will access even System Volume Information. B)

Edited by Waad, 28 May 2013 - 06:18 AM.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Hope this OK, I made a all in one for x86 and x64 installer, includes AGTweeker by ORelio mod by Tusticles http://www.mediafire...s_RC2_v0.93.exe

@ BigMuscle Just wanted to point out a bug using the reimplemented sidebar gadgets and sidebar, I know this is not something that is meant to run on Windows 8 but it may have implementations on other programs.

If you use a selection box and move it over the sidebar you get this effect, same as was first seen trying to bring back aero.

Posted Image

Also seen if you move a gadget that is docked on the sidebar

Posted Image

Aside from that small bug everything seems to be going great, not bothered if you fix the problem using the sidebar as I don't use it anyway, but it's something you can test and maybe find an easy fix, something you may have overlooked.

Edit: Just one other bug I noticed with aero enabled, when you bring up the explorer jump list, sometimes there is a delay before the recent items are displayed, the delay can be about 2 seconds, after the first delay it appears instantly as it should, tested with aero off and the problem does not occur.

Edited by MrGRiM, 28 May 2013 - 07:32 AM.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

My OS in Windows 8 x64. I have installed an installer version for Aero Glass for Windows 8 RC1 x64 recently. I didn't use Glass Colorization Swatches.reg. After that I uninstalled the application and deleted the DWM folder in C:/ Now I have a flickering black screen (LED backlight on - off) after reboot. The safe mode doesn't work. After several attempts to reboot I get BSOD BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. What should I do? (I would like not to reinstall Windows)

If you can boot into recovery options, then try refresh your PC. If it's set up, this feature will format the Windows partition of your hard drive and reinstall Windows automatically with no user involvement. Then it will copy your documents back and reinstall your Windows Store apps.

Because it's a full restore and resets the desktop, this is a perfectly good (if not a little bit overkill) way to casually uninstall the software as well.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC2

* optimized buffer size
* send integer screen size to vertex shader (this should reduce occasional flickering)
* improved D3D error handling

This version does not bring anything important now. It just contains several internal optimizations which I need to test before final release to decide whether to include them now or postpone them for some later 1.x release.

thanks for the new version. Works fine so far. The TGit flickering is still there, but I ignore it now.
Posted Image

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

--edit--

Reg file for AGTweaker

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}]
@="Aero Glass Tweaker"
"InfoTip"="Change Aero Glass Settings"
"System.ControlPanel.Category"="1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}\Shell\Open\command]
@="C:\\AGTweaker\\AGTweaker.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{373419B5-F3F9-4D20-9A45-6D4898CE9E04}]
@="Aero Glass Tweaker"

Oke thank's i'll make it included in RC2 installer version.
By the way can you send me the Updated AGTwekaer modification to be included in the installer version :D

Fallow this guide, http://msdn.microsof...h127450(v=vs.85).aspx

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

BTW, bigmuscle, what are your plans for its GUI?

I have no plans for GUI just because there is nothing to be put in the GUI.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Hope this OK, I made a all in one for x86 and x64 installer, includes AGTweeker by ORelio mod by Tusticles http://www.mediafire...s_RC2_v0.93.exe

@ BigMuscle Just wanted to point out a bug using the reimplemented sidebar gadgets and sidebar, I know this is not something that is meant to run on Windows 8 but it may have implementations on other programs.

If you use a selection box and move it over the sidebar you get this effect, same as was first seen trying to bring back aero.

Posted Image

Also seen if you move a gadget that is docked on the sidebar

Posted Image

Aside from that small bug everything seems to be going great, not bothered if you fix the problem using the sidebar as I don't use it anyway, but it's something you can test and maybe find an easy fix, something you may have overlooked.

Edit: Just one other bug I noticed with aero enabled, when you bring up the explorer jump list, sometimes there is a delay before the recent items are displayed, the delay can be about 2 seconds, after the first delay it appears instantly as it should, tested with aero off and the problem does not occur.

I tried installing windows sidebar into Win8 (from this link http://winaero.com/d...oad.php?view.40) and I don't see any problem.

Rafaella1103

Rafaella1103

• 13 posts
  • Joined 17-May 13
the About is removed on this version? thx

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
So let's prepare for final version. But I would need a little bit of help to finish 1.0 and prepare all stuff for user-friendly release:

a) if you are using RC2 version then upload your debug.log after few hours of running. I would be glad if this running time includes common operations, computer restarts, etc.

b) it would be good if we can collect screenshots from Aero Glass usage to be displayed on the website (@ berlios currently). The screenshots should be clean as much as possible, smart and should not contain any personal information or advertisement (it should not even include desktop shortcuts of cracked software etc.). I will then select some of them and put them on the website.

c) I'm searching for someone experienced who would be able to create official theme for the Aero Glass utilization. This theme should be elegant, clean and it should be made only as a modification of the original Win8 theme resource. (so only PNG compatible with default Win8 Aero theme) It mustn't be the complete msstyle theme. I would suggest to base the look on Win8 Consumer/Release Preview (square look with shadows, bordered frame buttons, caption glow etc.) It must look good with Aero Glass effect - possibly regardless the selected frame color.

Thank you!

Edited by bigmuscle, 28 May 2013 - 10:42 AM.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

So let's prepare for final version. But I would need a little bit of help to finish 1.0 and prepare all stuff for user-friendly release:

a) if you are using RC2 version then upload your debug.log after few hours of running. I would be glad if this running time includes common operations, computer restarts, etc.

B) it would be good if we can collect screenshots from Aero Glass usage to be displayed on the website (@ berlios currently). The screenshots should be clean as much as possible, smart and should not contain any personal information or advertisement (it should not even include desktop shortcuts of cracked software etc.). I will then select some of them and put them on the website.

c) I'm searching for someone experienced who would be able to create official theme for the Aero Glass utilization. This theme should be elegant, clean and it should be made only as a modification of the original Win8 theme resource. (so only PNG compatible with default Win8 Aero theme) It mustn't be the complete msstyle theme. I would suggest to base the look on Win8 Consumer/Release Preview (square look with shadows, bordered frame buttons, caption glow etc.) It must look good with Aero Glass effect - possibly regardless the selected frame color.

Thank you!

I will work on this ASAP.

I also assume for Screenshots, the desktop images should only be Windows Defaults to avoid and wallpaper artist objections? (Or personal, non identifying images/wallpapers from designers who with to have their wallpapers used for this purpose).

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13
Here's the RC2 debug log.

Here's a quick screenshot of my desktop with RC2 enabled.

Posted Image

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
I have done some screenshots using Autocolourisation with the 13 default Windows images and showing some applications such as Office 2010.
https://www.dropbox....u48p/xaMZfuXrZd

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

B) it would be good if we can collect screenshots from Aero Glass usage to be displayed on the website (@ berlios currently). The screenshots should be clean as much as possible, smart and should not contain any personal information or advertisement (it should not even include desktop shortcuts of cracked software etc.). I will then select some of them and put them on the website.

Thank you!

Do you think you can work with Vishal Gupta (http://www.askvg.com/) to port AeroVG 7 theme to Windows 8 and use that?

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

Do you think you can work with Vishal Gupta (http://www.askvg.com/) to port AeroVG 7 theme to Windows 8 and use that?

I dont think everyone is going to like that. Yes, its a nice theme and everything, but, that would not be my taste anyway. :)

I'm using a PNG where NoelC added drop shadow. I made the text glow more, white therefore more intense, and made the Window Control buttons transparent (so that the red looks ruby in colour in active windows and the blue looks more grey/blue. The default theme Window control buttons are very strongly coloured, so I have been using this for some time and I quite like it. Of course, it is my own personal taste.

https://www.dropbox....rnateTransp.png

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13

You may use the theme that come with AGTweaker if you wish.
It's compatible with Windows 8 default theme and based on Release Preview theme, with more shadow and some fixes to make it closer to Windows 7 style:

Posted Image

Resource file for use with windows 8 default theme:
http://img526.images...ardard8win7.png
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Have you tried the updated theme resource file I created (the link is some pages back by now)?

I think it's a pretty good balance between the "square/flat" look Microsoft wants for Windows 8 and the elements you mentioned (drop shadows, etc.) It even reintroduces a hint of rounded corners through some visual trickery.

Here's the link again:

http://Noel.ProDigit...ernateTheme.png

-Noel

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

I tried installing windows sidebar into Win8 (from this link http://winaero.com/d...oad.php?view.40) and I don't see any problem.

Yeah I use the same one but I also installed Seven Sidebar http://nes.bplaced.net/sidebar7.html that also comes with the 8 Gadget Pack http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/ it's just a gadget that emulates the old Vista Sidebar.

Anyway, as I said, not something I use anyway, just testing stuff out to see whats possible on 8.

I have attached my debug file for the last couple of days from the new version, done a series of restarts and theme testing, hopefully it will be of some use.

Attached Files

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Yes, I have tried it and I must admit that I don't like it. It has a bit weird frame edges which looks like the shadow is a bit offset resulting in a small gap. ORelio looks better but it looks much "Sevenish" to me and the window frames style does not match the taskbar style. Also the thing that caption glow effect for shell windows is stored in different image resource makes me think about a bit different approach - to hook uxtheme functions to allow using unsigned msstyle themes and provide complete theme.

R1SX

R1SX
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 21-May 13
The RC2 worked perfectly, apparently has better performance than the RC1 and fixed a bug that appeared in the Mobility Center. Waiting for the next release.
@ bigmuscle no idea how many entries are missing for the final release?

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Yes, I have tried it and I must admit that I don't like it. It has a bit weird frame edges which looks like the shadow is a bit offset resulting in a small gap. ORelio looks better but it looks much "Sevenish" to me and the window frames style does not match the taskbar style. Also the thing that caption glow effect for shell windows is stored in different image resource makes me think about a bit different approach - to hook uxtheme functions to allow using unsigned msstyle themes and provide complete theme.

Thanks for the feedback. I just fixed that "offset shadow" thing, and now it looks cleaner. I wonder if you'd be willing to take a moment to try it again...

Same link, updated file.

http://Noel.ProDigit...ernateTheme.png

Nothing is set in stone, and I'm willing to tweak it until you like it.

Here's what it looks like now...

Posted Image

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 28 May 2013 - 08:08 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,031 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Here is my log. I notice the that flickering while opening Explorer is also gone :thumbup

Attached Files

Posted Image

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13
Ah yes, that's right, BigMuscle did ask for logs.

I've done a ton of DWM restarts in tidying up the theme resource file. Hope that doesn't throw you off. If it does, I'll be happy to reset the log file and gather a new one, since I think the theme resource file is to my liking.

Here you go:

http://Noel.ProDigit.../temp/debug.log

-Noel

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-May 13
This is the problem that I've been having for a little while now.

http://puu.sh/33vd6.jpg

I have to keep disabling/re-enabling Aero Glass through AGTweaker in order to get the blur in the taskbar back. Right now, it is completely transparent.

Here's my debug log. Had to upload to Dropbox. https://dl.dropboxus...31941/Debug.log

Hope it helps.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (1)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN