Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

It shows the frame of the minimal taskmanger with nothing in it, as soon as the fade in animation completes, it closes.

can you make some pictures or videos? I have no idea what you mean.

Btw, the Windg issue is still there. strange that it worked with the other dump I opened 2 hours ago :unsure:
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Windows Theme service uses Crypto API for verifying theme signature. If it does not match (any custom theme) then the theme is not loaded by the system. Just a simple trick to always return true from this function :whistle:

Ah, got it. Thanks. :)

-Noel

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

does this mean I can use custom themes without patching uxtheme dlls? Is this feature working with the RC3?
Posted Image

stevefrancisnyk

stevefrancisnyk
  • 4 posts

ok I ended up with black screen. I reset but there is still black screen. Frankly I was afraid. I used shift+ F8 menu to bring back. Thats enough for me :) Thank you anyway sir :)

Sorry mate, maybe I should not try to help in future, the installer had options for x86 or x64, maybe you selected the wrong one, who knows, just wait for the final version.

No its not about you sir. I did downloaded to x64 version however I encountered with a unknown problem which ended up with black screen. Still dont know what the real problem is. I decided not to mess with it :) There is nothing related with you sir :) You did what a responsive user should do :)

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts

It shows the frame of the minimal taskmanger with nothing in it, as soon as the fade in animation completes, it closes.

can you make some pictures or videos? I have no idea what you mean.

Btw, the Windg issue is still there. strange that it worked with the other dump I opened 2 hours ago :unsure:

http://screencast.com/t/WCop2WWbZISK

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

does this mean I can use custom themes without patching uxtheme dlls? Is this feature working with the RC3?

Uninstalled uxstyle and yes, I can apply custom themes when using RC3 :D

Windows8RTMUser

Windows8RTMUser

• 38 posts
Who Has AGTweaker 1.3.3 ?

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
tweaker 1.3.3

Attached Files

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Donator

Yep I uninstalled it as well now, just hope nothing breaks Aero Glass and we end up with a black screen on boot.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
Another debug log, shader optimization is enabled on this one and I didn't notice any glitches.

click
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
If you have any non-working application (e.g. WinDBG etc.), could you provide exact step how to reproduce it after clean installation of that application? I will try to install it to see what's wrong. But currently I don't see any reason why changes in DWM should influence any application.

And please, verify that it does not happen when DWMGlass.dll is not loaded.

Btw, don't rely on custom themes much now, it has not been properly tested and I don't intend to modify it more before 1.0 release. For example, I don't know what happens when something in uxinit.dll is changed to break this function, i.e. control panel loads theme correctly but verifying on Windows startup fails - will it automatically switch to default Windows theme or what?

Edited by bigmuscle, 11 June 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
BigMuscle, perhaps you should consider making overriding the theme signature verification logic optional in your final release. I for one would be happy just using just the button, etc. graphic resource override capability.

I think that hooks that circumvent system protections at run time might not be well-received by folks concerned with security and using their computers for serious things. I know, it's kind of a gray area - i.e., where do you draw the line for how much you choose to override, since overriding the theme resources is practically necessary.

-Noel

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

I also tested it in a VM and it works :)

:thumbup
Posted Image

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts
I'm getting this a couple times a day:

Posted Image

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted Image

I'm having the same problem.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Have you loaded an alternate theme? I haven't, and am not seeing that message.

If you look back in the thread just a bit you'll see that BigMuscle has advised to avoid doing so, as it's not a mature feature.

-Noel

vladdsp

vladdsp
  • 5 posts
There is an alternative WindowBlinds 8

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts

One's free, the other isn't. And just for the blur effect isn't worth the price.

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Have you loaded an alternate theme? I haven't, and am not seeing that message.

If you look back in the thread just a bit you'll see that BigMuscle has advised to avoid doing so, as it's not a mature feature.

-Noel

I am using the Release Preview theme. Screenshot of the error: https://www.dropbox....lass Snip19.PNG It should work correctly since the theme is official and signed by Microsoft.

Edited by WindowsOS, 11 June 2013 - 06:26 PM.

RandPC

RandPC
  • 1 posts

One's free, the other isn't. And just for the blur effect isn't worth the price.

WindowBlinds doesn't even support blur anyway, it's not AeroGlass. All it does is make the frame completely transparent.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,024 posts

Donator

I am using the Release Preview theme. Screenshot of the error: https://www.dropbox....lass Snip19.PNG It should work correctly since the theme is official and signed by Microsoft.

I also use the theme and have no issues.
Posted Image

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

I too had that error when using RP theme.

Here's the debug log, with custom themes.

Intel HD 3000 -> w/ Shader Render Optimization enabled.

nVidia 9500GT -> w/ Shader Render Optimization disabled.

fireboyche

fireboyche
  • 5 posts

Yes, I have tried it and I must admit that I don't like it. It has a bit weird frame edges which looks like the shadow is a bit offset resulting in a small gap. ORelio looks better but it looks much "Sevenish" to me and the window frames style does not match the taskbar style. Also the thing that caption glow effect for shell windows is stored in different image resource makes me think about a bit different approach - to hook uxtheme functions to allow using unsigned msstyle themes and provide complete theme.

Thanks for the feedback. I just fixed that "offset shadow" thing, and now it looks cleaner. I wonder if you'd be willing to take a moment to try it again...

Same link, updated file.

http://Noel.ProDigit...ernateTheme.png

Nothing is set in stone, and I'm willing to tweak it until you like it.

Here's what it looks like now...

Posted Image

-Noel

Can somene explain me how can I create the VS on the screenshot with the first picture in this post? Or better, give me a download link for the VS?
Thank you in advance! :)

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Can somene explain me how can I create the VS on the screenshot with the first picture in this post? Or better, give me a download link for the VS?
Thank you in advance! :)

Make a new String Value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM , named, CustomThemeResource containing the path to the custom theme resource file and restart (or change between themes).

Posted Image.

Edited by Rayn19, 12 June 2013 - 01:14 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted Image

I'm not even sure where this message box comes from. When does it appear? Only when changing theme, or randomly during a day?
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN