Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Is It Possible To Have The Stripes Like In Windows 7 Also The 3D Flip Thing ?

Bigmuscle said that Flip 3D will be implemented later. Stripes are dependent on the theme itself.

The streaks are still in the theme but they're only rendered with the Aero Peek window and not the regular windows, taskbar, or any other part of the blur area.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

If you want Aero stripes try this theme Aero 8. As for Flip 3D, bigmuscle can only confirm.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
Ok, after using since the day RC3 was released, here are my logs. I rebooted several time over that time so should give good details.

https://www.dropbox....15-Jun-2013.log

niun

niun

• 12 posts
I noticed slower Windows loading time (after login), starting by version 0.92... also, everytime windows icon cache is cleaned at startup (this won't happen with dwmglass disabled).
My DWMGlass folder is C:\Windows\System32\MyDWM.

Here's my debug.log:

http://pastebin.com/aceVB6Lq

Edited by niun, 16 June 2013 - 12:36 AM.

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

I noticed slower Windows loading time (after login), starting by version 0.92... also, everytime windows icon cache is cleaned at startup (this won't happen with dwmglass disabled).
My DWMGlass folder is C:\Windows\System32\MyDWM.

Here's my debug.log:

http://pastebin.com/aceVB6Lq

I don't think your path for folder is good idea. You forgot about permissions...

niun

niun

• 12 posts
No, actually I didn't forget, but everything works fine, this loading delay was the only flaw since version 0.92

Edited by niun, 16 June 2013 - 05:19 AM.

Windows8RTMUser

Windows8RTMUser

• 38 posts

Bigmuscle said that Flip 3D will be implemented later. Stripes are dependent on the theme itself.

The One In Windows 7 Is Different It's In Some Kind Of Pattern

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 53 posts

I have installed this fantastic peace of software into my Windows 8 pro and WIndows 8 home versions and even on my server 2012 test environement.

I have found out that the text (for example run window) is with a little white color behind, since it is not easy for me, i took a screenshot of both cases. Every time it is the black command prompt which is behind to have the same background color.

http://www44.zippysh...30078/file.html

That's the Glow effect in the text which was present since the Developer Preview theme to the Release Preview one. If you are using the Release Preview theme or the Custom Theme resource from AGTweaker, it's intentional. Use the standard Windows 8 theme or something else without it if you don't like it.

Edited by WindowsOS, 16 June 2013 - 08:04 AM.

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
Oh, I have been using hte latest RC for over a week without getting the error about the Theme Resources.

Yesterday I tried out the theme posted about 20 posts ago with the default Windows 8 with text glow (Think its called Aero Glow). And then I started to get the theme saving error.

And what is more annoying about that, is that uninstalling the Aero Glow theme does not stop the error. But I'm not complaining. I know that these things happen when bug testing, and that seems to be a way to cause the bug.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Were there patched theme files in play here? If Microsoft updates components that touch any patched files, it may only be able to load digitally signed files (themes) and thus DWM will fail to properly initialize without theme data. It occurred with a windows update that happened a while back, I imagine it could theoretically happen again...

Actually, this seems to be the real reason of my black screens. However, it is more complicated because I was using signed theme when it happened. I noticed that theme in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\etc. key is loaded before login screen and this theme does not always correspond the user's current theme. And when the black screen appeared, it was really set to the unsigned theme resulting in DWM failed to load. So questions are: when the theme into default user registry branch is set? And why Windows automatic repair is not able to fix this problem?

Edited by bigmuscle, 17 June 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts

I have installed this fantastic peace of software into my Windows 8 pro and WIndows 8 home versions and even on my server 2012 test environement.

I have found out that the text (for example run window) is with a little white color behind, since it is not easy for me, i took a screenshot of both cases. Every time it is the black command prompt which is behind to have the same background color.

http://www44.zippysh...30078/file.html

That's the Glow effect in the text which was present since the Developer Preview theme to the Release Preview one. If you are using the Release Preview theme or the Custom Theme resource from AGTweaker, it's intentional. Use the standard Windows 8 theme or something else without it if you don't like it.

Thanks for your answer.

What do i need to do if on both computers, it is the default theme that is installed.

Edited by gontie, 17 June 2013 - 02:48 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

I don't think it's related. My windows does not freeze (I can hear skype/etc logging in, and power button works just fine to shut it down. pressing random keys gives the familiar bell. I just can't see what's happening since the screen is black.
I also don't use sleep at all, my computer either run, or is restarting. or powered down.
re-enabling UEFI secure boot makes windows boot just fine. it only happens when the DWMGlass DLL is loaded.
I don't use custom theme (regular windows 8 theme, no uXpatch) (is it required?)

In such case, post your debug.log (unless you've already post it and I overlooked it) and possibly minidump.dmp (for RC3 only). Maybe something causes crash or deadlock in your DWM.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
I have a lot of crashes, "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" and freezes with aero glass enabled (RC3). I will re-install the video driver.... Can you check the debug files?

Edited by Tusticles, 17 June 2013 - 11:52 AM.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
When I disabled Aero(RC3) through RegEdit (LoadAppInit_DLLs set to 0) and restarted, I got the black screen. The only way I recovered my laptop was by Refreshing the OS. I was using a custom theme, without any other uxtheme patch or service.

Here are my debug.log for that system (Intel HD 3000).

Here's debug.log from my other system which is working fine without any problem (nVidia 9500GT).

Edited by Rayn19, 17 June 2013 - 12:04 PM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
Rayn19: it is normal behaviour - custom theme fails to load when you don't bypass theme signature verification. nothing to do. Also other solution such as uxtheme patch or uxstyle has completely same problem - when you apply custom theme and then disable the software (or just windows update break something), DWM will fail.

On the other side, no need to refresh the OS. It is enough to boot into recovery console, run regedit, connect your registry and change the theme manually back.

Edited by bigmuscle, 17 June 2013 - 02:42 PM.

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
Rayn19

Aero Glass for Win8 RC3, and UxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64, work fine together with "LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000.

http://uxstyle.com/

Edited by ace2, 17 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Rayn19: it is normal behaviour - custom theme fails to load when you don't bypass theme signature verification. nothing to do. Also other solution such as uxtheme patch or uxstyle has completely same problem - when you apply custom theme and then disable the software (or just windows update break something), DWM will fail.

On the other side, no need to refresh the OS. It is enough to boot into recovery console, run regedit, connect your registry and change the theme manually back.

On Windows Vista, it would revert to Windows Classic.
On Windows 7, it would revert to the Windows 7 Aero theme.
I thought that Windows 8 would have this go to the Windows 8 "basic" visual style (the same kind used in the high contrast themes).
The reason I say this is because when I had the Windows 8 Enterprise trial in a VM, I did something really sneaky and deleted both the aero.msstyles and aerolite.msstyles, and what Windows 8 did was recreate them in their respective folders (I deleted them in the recovery command prompt, when they weren't loaded) and loaded the basic theme.

Why won't Windows 8 do that here? You would think that MS would have wanted more resiliency than that in their OS. So someone just needs to modify the aero.mssyles file, and the computer is broken?

And I also wonder why exactly Microsoft is so hell-bent on making Windows restricted to just their themes. Why not just open up msstyles development as a selling point for the OS? After all, it is a personal computer, right?

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Thanks for your answer.

What do i need to do if on both computers, it is the default theme that is installed.

By the looks of the border around the screenshot, the Release Preview style button and text glow, you are using the AGTweaker Custom Resource. Try using AGTweaker or RegEdit to disable it.

This is a bit off topic, but I think I know what happens during the black screen loop. What happens is a cycle of DWM failing and WinLogin trying to reload it. I found out by suspending WinLogin and applying the Consumer Preview theme.

Edited by WindowsOS, 17 June 2013 - 06:49 PM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

On Windows Vista, it would revert to Windows Classic.
On Windows 7, it would revert to the Windows 7 Aero theme.
I thought that Windows 8 would have this go to the Windows 8 "basic" visual style (the same kind used in the high contrast themes).

It does not happen here. Also as I mentioned above, the failure is not actually dependent on currently selected theme but on the theme stored in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key. And I have not found when the value is updated there. Maybe the workaround would be changing the permission of this key so nobody can change theme in there.

The reason I say this is because when I had the Windows 8 Enterprise trial in a VM, I did something really sneaky and deleted both the aero.msstyles and aerolite.msstyles, and what Windows 8 did was recreate them in their respective folders (I deleted them in the recovery command prompt, when they weren't loaded) and loaded the basic theme.

I remember similar behaviour for all system files in older Windows versions - when you deleted or patched some system file, it was automatically restored to the original version in a while. It seems that it does not happen anymore. But basic theme is used only when desktop composition is not loaded which is very hard to do in Win8.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Oh, BTW is there any way to disable custom theme support in RC3, as the debug.log is only getting filled with:
[0x480] Failed to load custom theme file (0x80070002)
I am using UxStyle, so that I don't end up with another black screen.

Rayn19

Aero Glass for Win8 RC3, and UxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64, work fine together with "LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000.

http://uxstyle.com/

I previously had Uxstyle in my system, I was just testing the custom theme support in RC3, when black screen happened.

Edited by Rayn19, 18 June 2013 - 02:51 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
No, it is not possible to disable it. Also message "Failed to load custom theme file" has nothing to do with this bypassing of theme signature verification. It means that it failed to load custom theme resource which you have specified manually in the registry.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

No, it is not possible to disable it. Also message "Failed to load custom theme file" has nothing to do with this bypassing of theme signature verification. It means that it failed to load custom theme resource which you have specified manually in the registry.

Is it because of UxStyle? I prevously never had this error when I installed it with RC3.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,862 posts

Donator

You've probably made some mistake on entering the path into the registry. One common error is to forget that in some circunstances, the backslashes must be doubled. I'm not saying that is precisely the mistake you've made, because my crystal ball is out for maintenance (again!), so this is just one example of one (out of many) possible mistake.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Is it because of UxStyle? I prevously never had this error when I installed it with RC3.

Nope, it has nothing to do with ux* something, msstyles theme, bypassing verification etc. It is just because you have set invalid path to your custom theme resource.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Nope, it has nothing to do with ux* something, msstyles theme, bypassing verification etc. It is just because you have set invalid path to your custom theme resource.

Oh ****! I accidently deleted my custom theme resource, that was the reason for the error. :D

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN