Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13
DimasKid

It will not be long now, new website is being setup ready for full version, but you may have to pay for full version.

MY opinion:

Bigmuscle deserve every penny for all his hard work (If he is going to charge / sell dwmglass.dll).

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13
BM, i think it's need to add the "favicon.ico" file to root in the site to add icon of program that visible on browsers.

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13
Nice website bigmuscle, and nice theme, Tusticles :)
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

2 more visual styles shots - 1 mod with Win7 blue magnify search and rtm navs and the other with win8 stock aero.mstyles..DPPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Hmm, windowblinds8 is out, here is a random theme applied to win8

Posted Image

There is transparency behind the navigation bar :D, but without blur it looks like sh*t!

Edited by Tusticles, 22 June 2013 - 11:55 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
DosProbie: nice screenshots, I should make some gallery on the website to present the look of AG's users.

Tusticles: yeah, WB does not provide blur effect but even if it does in the future, it still follows different approach than my Aero Glass. WB just hooks into system via RegisterUserApiHook and thus completely replaces UX theme service. Then it draws the frame completely via GDI so you cannot be sure that HW acceleration is used for it. My first (private only) version of Aero Glass worked this way, because it is very easy to do, but I rather decided go the native way by DWM hooking :-)
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

DosProbie: nice screenshots, I should make some gallery on the website to present the look of AG's users.

Tusticles: yeah, WB does not provide blur effect but even if it does in the future, it still follows different approach than my Aero Glass. WB just hooks into system via RegisterUserApiHook and thus completely replaces UX theme service. Then it draws the frame completely via GDI so you cannot be sure that HW acceleration is used for it. My first (private only) version of Aero Glass worked this way, because it is very easy to do, but I rather decided go the native way by DWM hooking :-)

What about the transparency in navigation bar area? Can you do it?

drakenabarion

drakenabarion

Junior

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
Hello,
Here is another week of logs. I have had the "Save theme resource" message several times this week. But I think BM, you already worked out what caused that. Anyway, thisis just to show how things are running after extended usage.
https://www.dropbox....22-Jun-2013.log

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

This is not on me - this has nothing to do with DWM. Glass is present on all places where each application (Windows Explorer in this case) requests it.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

This is not on me - this has nothing to do with DWM. Glass is present on all places where each application (Windows Explorer in this case) requests it.

--edit--

I'm trying to re-enable transparency in that area... hope someone will find a way to do it.

Edited by Tusticles, 22 June 2013 - 03:30 PM.

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13
Hi, bigmuscle!
First, thank you for your hard work, this thing is really amazing! Everything one needs to make Win8 look pretty without the sizes and hassle of WB. :)

But here's a question:
SOLVED.

Problems were:
- An Antivirus exception had to be added, because AppInit_DLLs reg key is frequently used by MalWare and anything modifying it is seen as "Trojan" or "Suspicious software" by Antivirus suites.
- "Secure Boot" had to be disabled in UEFI/BIOS, because it disables AppInit_DLLs processing in Windows somehow. (My opinion is that having to do this may scare away potential release users, and this is a major psychological concern to be addressed (maybe, by including a launcher that doesn't have to use "AppInit_DLLs" key, akin to the one that was included in v.0.6.)).

Edited by EvilAlex, 23 June 2013 - 08:08 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Yep the DWMhook method is a lot more work but totally worth it! Stardock just took the easy way out with WB, not worth the $10 bucks and all the daily spam mail you get with it.Thanks for doing it right Bigmuscle!..DP

Edited by DosProbie, 22 June 2013 - 06:41 PM.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Stardock just took the easy way out with WB....

What is WB?

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

I'm a programmer myself, so I already had such a situation with a program of my own, which hooks keyboard events, and is, therefore, paranoidly regarded as a "Keylogger" by antivirus suite.

It's not paranoid, because your program intercepts keyboard data, which is very suspicious activity. It's fine if you wrote it, but if someone else wrote a program like that and put it on your computer, then they have access to everything you type, including every single password and username to go with it. If you ever buy something online, you enter your bank info, and it could intercept that. That's why government sites offer an on-screen keyboard in the website that you can optionally use if you feel that there might be a keylogger, because then it would be very easy for someone to get your SSN.

So you might want to figure out a different way to get your program to work besides keylogging :-)

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13

I'm a programmer myself, so I already had such a situation with a program of my own, which hooks keyboard events, and is, therefore, paranoidly regarded as a "Keylogger" by antivirus suite.

It's not paranoid, because your program intercepts keyboard data, which is very suspicious activity. It's fine if you wrote it, but if someone else wrote a program like that and put it on your computer, then they have access to everything you type, including every single password and username to go with it. If you ever buy something online, you enter your bank info, and it could intercept that. That's why government sites offer an on-screen keyboard in the website that you can optionally use if you feel that there might be a keylogger, because then it would be very easy for someone to get your SSN.

So you might want to figure out a different way to get your program to work besides keylogging :-)

That's way offtopic, but since you seem inclined to state the obvious (no offense intended :) ), I can also tell you, that for each decision, there are reasons: if I needed to write something, that didn't really require system-wide low-level access, like a game, I'd use Windows Messaging or DirectInput, obviously. No one wants their soft to be regarded "suspicious".
But, here's the same deal going back to the topic at hand:
DWMGlass we're discussing here uses not one, but AT LEAST two things extremely often used by Malware: DLL Injection (also called hooking), AND that aforementioned AppInit_DLLs reg value, which is actually the way a lot of "WinLock" type trojans work. They set themselves up in that value, load themselves at system start-up and hold an unsuspecting user for ransom: "Give a hacker a lot of money, or all your data is lost". And, apparently, this last quality is what (probably) causes my AV to react badly to this Win8-bad-looks-solution.
So to speak about "dangerous coding decisions".

But, like in the case with "returning Aero after it has been cut by Microsoft", there are situations, where "non-dangerous" approach is either impossible by design, or is way to complex, or isn't really solving the problem (like the aforementioned Stardock's WindowBlinds 8 (WB) \probably\ not having hardware acceleration).
So, there are situations, where you either just trust the software author (you do trust driver vendors, don't you?) not to abuse your privacy, or don't use the software, or have to stick with less satisfying approaches.

This was a case with my soft: I either had to write a full-fledged driver along with all the hassle and trouble (not to mention having user to install it), or just use a global hook, which I did.
Obviously, mr. bigmuscle had to do something similar for similar reasons.

gru

gru
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13
Hello,everyone
I've put all the files uncompressed from DWMHook094-64.7z to C:/DWM ,and changed the LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg as
'
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\AeroGlass\\DWMGlass.dll"
"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

'
then import it into the registry.
and I have patch theUxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64.msi ,and select an aero theme in the personalize setting...

but after a reboot,the AeroGlass seems not to work...
only the task bar become transparent,but all the winexplorer frame still is opaque.
I can see a DWM.exe in task manager...
anyone can tell me what's wrong with my process?
or how can I enable the AeroGlass normally?
Thx a lot> <
Posted Image
Posted Image

gru

gru
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13
Hello,everyone
I've put all the files uncompressed from DWMHook094-64.7z to C:/DWM ,and changed the LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs.reg as
'

'
and I have patch theUxStyle_Core_Sep3_Experimental_x64.msi ,and select an aero theme in the personalize setting...

only the task bar become transparent,but all the winexplorer frame still is opaque.
Thx a lot> <
Posted Image
Posted Image

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Hello,everyone
'

'

Thx a lot> <
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well your problem is right there in your post.

'

You should have the following

"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"

Edited by MrGRiM, 22 June 2013 - 09:34 PM.

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-May 13
Actually, when importing directories into the registry using a .reg file, you need TWO backslashes.

"AppInit_DLLs="C:\\DWM\\DWMGlass.dll"

Im pretty sure it makes a difference.

Dreamweaver01

Dreamweaver01

• 17 posts
  • Joined 31-May 13

Hello,everyone
'

'
Thx a lot> <
Posted Image
Posted Image

GRU,

If you are using a UEFI system, then you must turn off secure boot in your BIOS before you try this.
That does not apply in a VM.

Edited by Dreamweaver01, 22 June 2013 - 10:33 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,058 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

when I attach a monitor via VGA I get a blurry screen:

Posted Image

The Startscreen has this strange artifact in the background (I see text, but there was no program in abckground)

Posted Image

Here is my log:

https://dl.dropboxus...8 RC3/debug.log
Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

But, like in the case with "returning Aero after it has been cut by Microsoft", there are situations, where "non-dangerous" approach is either impossible by design, or is way to complex, or isn't really solving the problem (like the aforementioned Stardock's WindowBlinds 8 (WB) \probably\ not having hardware acceleration).

The reality is that even WindowBlinds use DLL injection. Also my opinion us that LoadAppInit_DLLs is one of the most secure injection because you can check what is really injected. There are much "worse" ways which you cannot control at all.

MagicAndre1981: I guess you use shader optimization, it's probably not compatible in this setup.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Basically, it's another case of a false positive (hence the .generic suffix), but any decent antivirus allows you to add a suspicious program to your exception list if you trust it.
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13

GRU,

If you are using a UEFI system, then you must turn off secure boot in your BIOS before you try this.
That does not apply in a VM.

BTW this also helped me. Never expected anything like this to be a reason.
Disabled "secure boot" - everything works.
It still requires an exception in AnitVirus soft to be made in order to successfully add registry values, but then it works. What the?...

The reality is that even WindowBlinds use DLL injection. Also my opinion us that LoadAppInit_DLLs is one of the most secure injection because you can check what is really injected. There are much "worse" ways which you cannot control at all.

There are, of course. But thing is, AV Suites AND, as it turned out, even the UEFI (bios) itself, tend to block this key (like in my case) without regards to "worse ways". Malware being what is...
Just in case, have you considered adding an exe-file launcher (akin to the one you had back in v.0.6) to the final release, for people like myself, with a little paranoid AV suites and UEFI bios-es? (Those are becoming more and more standard this days.)
I must admit (although I understand why this happens), it's "a little bit strange" having to change bios settings just to be able to run a small app. It's OK while it's in "beta"\"testing" stage, but will be a major issue for release users who don't expect having to do anything like this.

Thanks again for this amazing tool! :)

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Look at Posts #2130 and #2131, then here ==> http://www.stardock....ds/features.asp

Stardock just took the easy way out with WB....

What is WB?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users