Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 13-May 13

The situation turns out with Windows 8.1, because there are no such objects thus I must create all the Direct3D objects on my own.

So it's confirmed that 8.1 removes them?

The first version comes in beta comes out in two days.

Sad if many work muss be done to continue this great software for 8.1.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

The situation turns out with Windows 8.1, because there are no such objects thus I must create all the Direct3D objects on my own.

So it's confirmed that 8.1 removes them?

I cannot confirm officially, I just tried with older leaked build 9385 and pixel shaders needed for blur effect don't exist there. Also some objects such as input layouts etc. are not created in memory. But this is not big problems, shaders are small programs only (20 lines of code) so it is very easy to reimplement them. Also, public symbols for that build were not available so I'm not sure what's all missing - I just know that function needed for drawing occluded regions is still there. And whole desktop rendering was moved from DX 10.1 to DX11 completely.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13

d) it is a total race

Okay, I've managed to successfully replicate your DWM2DLLInjector in .NET.
Restarting, or rather, waiting for the system to restart the DWM was the tricky part.
You were 100% correct about that "race" metaphor, the time frame for correct injection is as short as can be.

However, now I have a working code to mess with. Will see what can be done.

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13

So, that's on their "un-feature" list too now, isn't it? Huh...
Can't say I blame 'em for trying to clean their stuff out, what I think shouldn't have been done is the removal of Glass in the first place.
And since they seem to be carrying plans to return the Start Button (but heard a rumor, that not the menu itself, so where will it direct you to? A Start Screen?) in 8.1, why clean-up on Glass now, and not return it too? If they say returning Start Button is due to Customer Demand, it would've been a logical move. (Yeah, right...)

I agree with you. I basically call Windows 8 RTM the Release Preview with poorly removed glass, a new theme, and final Modern apps. If you ask me, Windows 8.1 SHOULD be Windows 8 RTM in the first place.

Anyway, if their plan is not to restore but to completely remove Glass, then both your project and SD's WB8 are going to have A LOT more customers, so brace yourself :)

I know BigMuscle will try to work on making Glass work on Windows 8.1 at least when the beta launches at BUILD, but I wonder if Window Blinds 8 will even WORK in Windows 8.1, and if Starblinds will even work on it. BigMuscle, if you ask me, you better start advertising your product. Here is the search results when I searched "Aero Glass for Windows 8" with the results mentioning your product squared (Circling did not work well and I do not count the related searches as a mention).

Here's a aero shot of a Vista Se7en modded theme for 8..DPPosted Image

How were you able to port a Windows 7 theme to WIndows 8?

Attached Files

Edited by WindowsOS, 24 June 2013 - 08:27 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 746 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

WindowsOS, to learn more on modding themes for Windows take a look here ==> http://creativx.net/...b-tutorial.html

Edited by DosProbie, 24 June 2013 - 01:29 PM.

xXiNightXx

xXiNightXx

Junior

• Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined 03-December 12

WindowsOS, to learn more on modding themes for Windows take a look here ==> http://creativx.net/...b-tutorial.html

I find using the programs website to be a bit more useful. There are maps for every bit of the system and people can ask for help from others as well.
http://vistastylebui....php?board=18.0

Dreamweaver01

Dreamweaver01

An Oldie But a Goodie

• 26 posts
  • Joined 31-May 13

I find using the programs website to be a bit more useful. There are maps for every bit of the system and people can ask for help from others as well.
http://vistastylebui....php?board=18.0

xXiNightXx
Just wanted to complement you on your aero 8 theme.
I use it all the time, so many thanks.

Edited by Dreamweaver01, 24 June 2013 - 09:03 PM.

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13
DwmGlass.dll not working for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview

incompatible:

THEMECPL.DLL
SHELL32.DLL

Installed lastest AMD Catalystâ„¢ Display Driver for Windows 8 64-bit

Updated DirectX with DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (9.29.1974.0)

Edited by ace2, 25 June 2013 - 08:34 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Joined 12-June 13
Bigmuscle are you going to work on aero glass for windows 8.1

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

How were you able to port a Windows 7 theme to WIndows 8?

Windows Style Builder Beta 1.5.4 onwards supports 7 to 8 theme porting. Either that or by recreating it manually.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Has anyone tried this on Windows 8.1 preview yet?

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
From what I saw bigmuscle post, the current version won't work on the preview without more modifications.
With the installer being a total *****, I think many are still fighting with it.
I gave up for the time being, if M$ is so set against me installing win8.1, I'll stick to my win7 for a while longer.
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12
Themes patching/circumvention works fine with 8.1. Neat.

Also I don't know why Microsoft did this, but text glow no longer works in non-Ribbon windows at all. Works fine everywhere else like it used to, just not in non-Ribbon windows :S

Edited by PandaX, 26 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 13-May 13

This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

But it does, i am testing server 2012 (not R2) since the start and i am using aero glass since about one month.

Funny to see by the way a server edition with aero :)

Tarzikaf

Tarzikaf

Open Source Developer

• 27 posts
  • Joined 13-April 13

I don't think it's related. My windows does not freeze (I can hear skype/etc logging in, and power button works just fine to shut it down. pressing random keys gives the familiar bell. I just can't see what's happening since the screen is black.
I also don't use sleep at all, my computer either run, or is restarting. or powered down.
re-enabling UEFI secure boot makes windows boot just fine. it only happens when the DWMGlass DLL is loaded.
I don't use custom theme (regular windows 8 theme, no uXpatch) (is it required?)

In such case, post your debug.log (unless you've already post it and I overlooked it) and possibly minidump.dmp (for RC3 only). Maybe something causes crash or deadlock in your DWM.

Sorry BM, I've been out of it lately. Will try RC3 and post the relevant stuff soon. :)

EDIT: So far, it worked on the first try!
Posted Image
I'm going to go stare at the changelog very hard... :P

Edited by Tarzikaf, 27 June 2013 - 04:38 AM.

-Tarzikaf/Voaxeyr

jofkata81

jofkata81
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 08-June 13
Hi, this is my debug log

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

But it does, i am testing server 2012 (not R2) since the start and i am using aero glass since about one month.

Interesting, so it is just side effect that 2012 server has the same DWM as Win8 RTM has :-) However, if anyone is interested to make this work on R2 too, he can provide dwmcore.dll and udwm.dll and I can see what could be done with that :-)

Tarzikaf

Tarzikaf

Open Source Developer

• 27 posts
  • Joined 13-April 13

Interesting, so it is just side effect that 2012 server has the same DWM as Win8 RTM has :-) However, if anyone is interested to make this work on R2 too, he can provide dwmcore.dll and udwm.dll and I can see what could be done with that :-)

It would be great if I managed to get my Intel network card to work witn server 2012 R2. I'm fighting with it since yesterday, lol. I can provide the DLLs, though.
WinServ2012R2DWMDLL.zip

-Tarzikaf/Voaxeyr

WindowsOS

WindowsOS

I'm 1 out of only 3 people who don't mind that popup box

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 25-January 13
I tried Glass with Windows 8.1, did not work. :( . I think the reason why is that High Contrast trick no longer works. It loads for a quarter second, but it reverts back to normal. But, using Aero8Tuner does get the unstable transparency working, with the text non transparent (the Glow glitch).

Edited by WindowsOS, 27 June 2013 - 06:14 PM.

PandaX

PandaX

Panda X

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12

I tried Glass with Windows 8.1, did not work. :( . I think the reason why is that High Contrast trick no longer works. It loads for a quarter second, but it reverts back to normal. But, using Aero8Tuner does get the unstable transparency working, with the text non transparent (the Glow glitch).

That high contrast thing is entirely different, which was just actually a bug.

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

bigmuscles utility (as it stands) will not work on 8.1 at all, and has nothing to do with the high contrast. It is because unlike in Win8, 8.1 actually stripped out all references to the glass code. The blurring and utility functions to make it function are nonexistent.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Actually, I quickly checked the code and it won't be so hard to make the glass working on Win8.1. The only big change (which influences my work) is complete migration of desktop rendering from DX10.1 to DX11 thus I need to rewrite my blur algorithm to Direct3D 11 API (which is very similar to 10.1). The biggest problem I see is the non-existence of glass safety zones which is the thing responsible for extending occluded regions by blur radius. It will make glitches (known from earlier versions of my utility) on the edges of the clip regions without glass safety zone.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Does this migration to DX11 mean that only cards capable of DX11 will be able to render blur on win8.1?
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Joined 14-February 13

The only big change (which influences my work) is complete migration of desktop rendering from DX10.1 to DX11

This mean that 8.1 work only on videocards with DX 11 support? It is MS requirement for 8.1?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users