Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

link6155

link6155

• 13 posts
Man, i want to try the latest version, but the download site seems to be busy/down :(

Looks like you made a huge improvement however! :D

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Windows8RTMUser

Windows8RTMUser

• 38 posts
the close animation does not work for me ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20)

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Yeah, close animation seems to be disabled when layered window is activated. I have not found a way to get it back (except of hooking WM_CLOSE and call AnimateWindow on my own which is a bit ugly).

btw, anyone having problem with high CPU/GPU usage, please try that ForceBoundingRectangleRedraw settings. It will be bring some glitches into border painting (which is not important currently) but it let us know whether your problem is caused by blurring algorithm or by layered windows.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

skyli

skyli
  • 9 posts
I have an other bug: if the blur is set to higher (like 70+), if you move the window, it makes artifacts if you move them trough other aero surfaces.
The higher the blur, the higher the effect is visible. I cant make scrennshot of it.

Oh and im sorry but I'd like to know is it normal ig the taskbar is not blurred, only the windows?

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Unfortunately, this is normal, because blur algorithm requires some more extra pixels around to correctly blur edge pixels (the higher radius the more pixels is required). The problem is Win8 does not mark these extra pixels as dirty when some region changes so it blurs with wrong pixels around the edges :(

skyli

skyli
  • 9 posts
One bug is fixed for me in 0.3 with trillian, but Avion pro skin (which also use transparency) still crash and the crash log is the same but with other hex codes. And i have an idea to fix the task bar blur for me :D I'll blur my wallpaper there:DD

0upa3

0upa3
  • 8 posts

One bug is fixed for me in 0.3 with trillian, but Avion pro skin (which also use transparency) still crash and the crash log is the same but with other hex codes. And i have an idea to fix the task bar blur for me :D I'll blur my wallpaper there:DD

Try to disable taskbar transparency with this: http://hb860.deviant...ows-8-347219169 It should enable Aero for it.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
Hi

Just joined to say thanks and confirm that it worked for me.

Installed it on a completely fresh installation of W8Pro64 - fairly basic laptop with intel integrated grapics, core2 cpu etc - and it works just fine with your default settings. I got a couple of errors messages at first - but only because I copied the folder the C: drive without renaming it to DWN (7-Zip named it the same as the download itself) - my bad.

I've also tried it whilst using "Start8" (stardock's start menu add-on) and it works fine - tried with all combinations of transparency of the task bar and "start menu" and no problems. Tried with automatic coloured title bars and changing wallpapers every ten seconds - worked perfectly. Tried different font sizes in title-bars and everything I could thing to mess it up - but it worked just fine. No problems noticed with "metro". No problems noticed with any running apps or desktop programs that I've tried - no problems with Media Centre.

I got no major increase in CPU usage, no noticeable shortening of battery life.

Subjectively - I messed around with the transparency/blur values (worth mentioning that you need to stop and restart the "test" each time to see the change) - I reckon your defaults are well chosen for the flat "surface" of the W8 title-bars.

Lastly - thanks and respect - really looking forward to the finished version.

mirecek1965

mirecek1965

• 26 posts
Sorry to say, but trying vers. 0.3 i get only black screen with mouse cursor and only way out is reset. Vers. 01 and 0.2 is functional.

MSI Z87-G45 Gamer, ASUS GTX 660 Ti, 16 GiB RAM, 2x SSD 60 GiB, 1x 1 TiB data

KittBlog

KittBlog
  • 8 posts
Version 0.3 works very well for me. iTunes works, Thunderbird doesn't need a complete CPU core. :)
Thanks again!

Greetings from Germany

skyli

skyli
  • 9 posts

Try to disable taskbar transparency with this: http://hb860.deviant...ows-8-347219169 It should enable Aero for it.

Thanks! I had the program but did not noticed this. Sadly it's just the blur but it's 80% transparent and cannot be set to full glass.

yavordh

yavordh
  • 6 posts
The new version completely eliminate CPU usage! :thumbup

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
I have to increase the gpu idle clock to fix the lag, but running a high clock profile in idle with 40+ temperature.. it suc*s. Give me a reason to follow this thread, you will fix this? I posted three times and you ignored me.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
The new version is very convincing, it does not have high CPU/Memory usage and runs fine. It still lags when you open 4 or more windows. I had only one problem with the new version, the new experimental feature introduced "Force BoundRectangleRedraw" when enabled most of the time I get a black screen with only my mouse pointer on it and when some times it gets past the black screen and runs the program, the aero portion loses its transparency and becomes white. I'll provide you with the screenshot and debug file later.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

I have to increase the gpu idle clock to fix the lag, but running a high clock profile in idle with 40+ temperature.. it suc*s. Give me a reason to follow this thread, you will fix this? I posted three times and you ignored me.

sorry but there is no solution for your problem yet

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

sorry but there is no solution for your problem yet

I feel better now, thank you for your response. I'm not the only one with this problem, Rayn19 have it.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Sorry to say, but trying vers. 0.3 i get only black screen with mouse cursor and only way out is reset. Vers. 01 and 0.2 is functional.

I had that first time I tried but it's cured by running v0.3 it from it's own folder - don't place it in C:\DWM. If that doesn't sort it, delete the transparency and blur entries from the registry if you previously added them.

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
Minor "fault" with v0.3.

If you run it with some windows already open, when you return to the desktop, their title-bars remain opaque until they are redrawn (such as by dragging another window over them).

tbo2903

tbo2903
  • 2 posts
Same here, trying vers. 0.3 i get only black screen with mouse cursor and only way out is reset. Vers. 01 and 0.2 is functional.

skyli

skyli
  • 9 posts
Attached File  N√©vtelen-2.jpg   448.68KB   96 downloads <- Force BoundingRectangleRedraw is buggy here
I have ati mobility 5650 vga

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
read the version info!

[
ForceBoundingRectangleRedraw (DWORD) = ... it brings a lot of redraw glitches (so do not complain about them)!!!

sashacherbak

sashacherbak
  • 2 posts
How can I do it at x86 version?

evilpro

evilpro

• 11 posts

How can I do it at x86 version?

There's no full version yet.
You'll have to wait a bit.

Netham45

Netham45
  • 9 posts
Any ETA for when the source will be uploaded? I'd like to port this over to Windows RT.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Any ETA for when the source will be uploaded? I'd like to port this over to Windows RT.

This kind of thing is simply not possible on Windows RT, and it would be pointless to do so. This is because a program would have to be compiled for the ARM processor to work, which Microsoft doesn't allow nor support for desktop apps, so both creating a DWM hacker like this and a DWM.exe replacement would even be able to be made. And you can't hack the DWM from a metro app, because the secure model doesn't allow it.

Short story, if you use Windows RT, you are stuck without transparency (Which shouldn't be much of a problem because you will spend relatively little time in the desktop).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN