Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

it's what i said earlier... check HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry branch. Invalid theme will be set there.

thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

it's what i said earlier... check HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry branch. Invalid theme will be set there.

What theme must be in that registry path? I can't understand why the black screen appears sometimes. And question: when i power on computer 1st time a day windows always loading normal. Black screen appears only on reboot or power off and power on quickly. Why?

Edited by CKyHC, 04 July 2013 - 03:25 PM.

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts

I will not includd installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry so value so it should be done by advanced and not by automatic installer.

I don't know what you did in RC4, but my "crazy injector" now loads it correctly in almost 90% cases (Can symbols download attempt slow the process down just enough to be the reason for success? Or is there something else new?).
Tested on "vanilla" Win 8 x64, Build 9200, not activated, on VMWare Player, not connected to internet.
Even in the other 10(bad)% it still works(!), but ALSO opens a console window showing some "DBGHelp" about, yep, attempt to download symbols :)

Anyway, applause to you!!!

So, it can be injected into "suspended-on-startup" (or, ALMOST at startup, I'm still figuring out how to detect it's startup reliably and, more importantly, FAST enough) DWM, rather successfully now. Suffice it to say, WMI didn't help detecting DWM startup at all, it's a sluggish as hell a method, so process polling done in a very specific way works MUCH better. This is done by suspending WinLogon (so it won't "unlogon" you, or re-launch DWM when not expected), killing "old DWM instances", and then activating "DWM waiter" (based upon the special process-polling), and then, resuming WinLogon. The DWM Waiter then catches DWM on startup and suspends it, then DWMGlass.dll is injected and DWM is resumed. Problem is, the "waiter" part is still far from perfect, as mentioned above. I actually gave a thought to what Tihiy once mentioned - hooking WinLogon itself and altering DWM launch sequence, but haven't gone that far yet.

Edited by EvilAlex, 04 July 2013 - 05:18 PM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
EvilAlex: nothing important changed. If loading works for you, it means that you just a won a race which is totally unpredictable. You can win 1000x and then it fails, you fail 1000x and win 10x, just a totally random.

I was also thinking about hooking WinLogin but I think it does not solve anything. Now you need to manage to hook DWM before it creates its internal objects. When you move to WinLogon, you need to hook it before it launches dwm.exe, so totally same problem. Or you can write system driver which is loaded during boot (before winlogon.exe) and hook CreateProcess but I think it is too much work for such a small thing. And I think it has no sense to bother with it now because it won't be needed in Win8.1 at all.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts

EvilAlex: nothing important changed. If loading works for you, it means that you just a won a race which is totally unpredictable. You can win 1000x and then it fails, you fail 1000x and win 10x, just a totally random.

I was also thinking about hooking WinLogin but I think it does not solve anything. Now you need to manage to hook DWM before it creates its internal objects. When you move to WinLogon, you need to hook it before it launches dwm.exe, so totally same problem. Or you can write system driver which is loaded during boot (before winlogon.exe) and hook CreateProcess but I think it is too much work for such a small thing. And I think it has no sense to bother with it now because it won't be needed in Win8.1 at all.

It is unpredictable in a general sense, yes. So I will totally agree that this method isn't realiable, and we can't count on it, even if it can be improved. But statistically, since I'm trying it in the same fashion on the same system with almost the same current load, it can be seen rather clearly that, for some specific unknown reasons, certain versions of DLL manage to load better than the others: You can try to load one, and it fails\succeeds at it's "usual ratio", then, try another, without rebooting, and again you gain expected results. Doesn't seem to be "total" random. Unfortunately, though, you are correct about the nature of these "expected results". Unreliable and unpredictable.

A question about WinLogon hooking: Why do we need, theoretically, to load into it before it creates it's own resources? We don't need to reuse them, like DWM, just need to hook maybe a single function. I must be missing something. I haven't yet reverse engineered how it launches DWM, maybe this process can be repeated outside WinLogon at all, and then we don't need to bother. If we suspend WinLogon and then resume it, it won't relaunch DWM if it's already running. So basically, the idea is: Suspend WLogon, kill DWMs, launch DWM on our own in suspended mode (Launching a process in this state is doable, the root of the problem is exactly in the fact that the process needs to be launched by our app, and not by WLogon), inject it while it's "not even running" (started suspended), resume it, resume WLogon. Caveats are numerous, like I don't know if WinLogon stores it's DWM process Id's somewhere, this can be a problem, then how excatly it launches it, it's done under "funny users" like "DWM-1" or "DWM-2", for example, what the command line params are, e.t.c. Still needs research, I'm aware it can be a yet another dead end.

I had the driver approach crossing my mind too, but discarded it immediately for exactly the same reasons you stated.

Will Win8.1 version be "backwards compatible" with Win8? (Sounds like it can, at least theoretically, be.) If it will, then, yes, it's all a work for nothing. But if it won't, then it still has reason to continue. Yes, the Win 8.1 update is free for Win 8 users, e.t.c, but no guarantee everyone who wants DWMGlass will update. The release will go to the public at large, and thats "totally unpredictable" :)

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

Hey guys, made a new all in one installer for the latest version, I have tested it a fair amount but as always, make a backup or system restore before making any changes to your OS, the installer comes with a complete uninstaller as well, all registries keys are added during installation and also removed when uninstalled, including color swatches, the installer can be used on x86 and x64 systems and all features are enabled by default, the installer also includes the modified simple version of AGTweaker and it will add a desktop shortcut as well as a context menu shortcut for AGTweaker.

Here are a few screen shots of the installer.

33kc7qv.jpg4rfep5.jpg2iw7bz7.jpg2hq84mx.jpg308h1cm.jpgv62h4g.jpg

u81g.jpg

Update 17/07/2013:

Change Log

1. Fixed installer to create correct Registry Value to bypass Theme sinature. (Old value was incorrct and not functioning)

2. Fixed installer to create correct Registry Value to enable Shader target optimization. (Old value was incorrct and not functioning)

3. Fixed uninstall for Custom Color Swatches, now deletes the Control Panel Key for Custom Color Swatches and not just the Swatches values. (Removing just the Swatches Values and not removing the keys left Window Color and Appearance options blank)

4. Removed install option for Public Symbol downloading from MS Servers (Is now enabled by default and can not be disabled)

5. Added new safety option to revert to Default Aero theme during uninstall to prevent the Black Screen bug if you are using Aero Glass to bypass the theme signature.

6. Installer now requires a log off after install instead of just restarting explorer.exe and DWM to ensure the glass effect is rendered correctly and Public symbols are downloaded if needed.

Please unistall the previouis version before updating.

Download the Aero Glass RC4 AIO Installer from Mediafire.

http://www.mediafire...s_RC4_v0.95.exe

@ BigMuscle if this is not something you would like to have posted here please let me know and I will remove it.

Edited by MrGRiM, 16 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

* automatic symbols downloading for DWM libraries

Can this still be disabled via reg-key?

No, it cannot be. It is always enabled. The reason is that it does not make sense to be disabled. Normally symbols are not downloaded at all, the server is contacted only when your DWM is incompatible and if it is disabled, you would not get any glass at all.

A question about WinLogon hooking: Why do we need, theoretically, to load into it before it creates it's own resources? We don't need to reuse them, like DWM, just need to hook maybe a single function. I must be missing something. I haven't yet reverse engineered how it launches DWM, maybe this process can be repeated outside WinLogon at all, and then we don't need to bother. If we suspend WinLogon and then resume it, it won't relaunch DWM if it's already running. So basically, the idea is: Suspend WLogon, kill DWMs, launch DWM on our own in suspended mode (Launching a process in this state is doable, the root of the problem is exactly in the fact that the process needs to be launched by our app, and not by WLogon), inject it while it's "not even running" (started suspended), resume it, resume WLogon. Caveats are numerous, like I don't know if WinLogon stores it's DWM process Id's somewhere, this can be a problem, then how excatly it launches it, it's done under "funny users" like "DWM-1" or "DWM-2", for example, what the command line params are, e.t.c. Still needs research, I'm aware it can be a yet another dead end.

If you want to hook WinLogon, you must manage to hook e.g.CreateProcess before it launches dwm.exe process else you didn't get nothing. Yes, you can freeze winlogon and kill dwm.exe but it is totally wrong idea. Forcibly killing any process can end up in unexpected behaviour. If you launch dwm.exe on your own, you will also break the security context of your operating system. It will also break the nature of my utility - being native as much as possible - just because OS is designed to work in some way and you completely change its concept.

Will Win8.1 version be "backwards compatible" with Win8? (Sounds like it can, at least theoretically, be.) If it will, then, yes, it's all a work for nothing. But if it won't, then it still has reason to continue. Yes, the Win 8.1 update is free for Win 8 users, e.t.c, but no guarantee everyone who wants DWMGlass will update. The release will go to the public at large, and thats "totally unpredictable" :)

No, it won't be backward compatible because Win8.1 uses different kind of desktop rendering.

NedYar1

NedYar1
  • 5 posts

Hey guys, made a new all in one installer for the latest version, I have tested it a fair amount but as always, make a backup or system restore before making any changes to your OS, the installer comes with a complete uninstaller as well, all registries keys are adding during installation and also removed when uninstalled, including color swatches, the installer can be used on x86 and x64 systems and all features are enabled by default, the installer also includes the modified simple version of AGTweaker and it will add a desktop shortcut as well as a context menu shortcut for AGTweaker.

[...]

What theme are you using?

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

What theme are you using?

I am using my Vista 8 Modern Mix theme http://browse.devian...n-Mix-369583696 I made 2 versions this is the one with all the rounded corners made square.

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts

No, it cannot be. It is always enabled. The reason is that it does not make sense to be disabled. Normally symbols are not downloaded at all, the server is contacted only when your DWM is incompatible and if it is disabled, you would not get any glass at all.

Okay, it makes perfect sense.

No, it won't be backward compatible because Win8.1 uses different kind of desktop rendering.

Sad to hear that. :(

About everything else: While many things seem to make sense, security context is already violated severely. An app launching DWM outside Winlogon (if it can, actually, be done) may be a nasty hole in it, yet an opened global injection key, famous to be used by malware, and a disabled BIOS setting blocking it and bootsector misuse, seems to be a much bigger evil. But anyway, you're the boss. :rolleyes:

Edited by EvilAlex, 07 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

... security context is already violated severely. An app launching DWM outside Winlogon (if it can, actually, be done) may be a nasty hole in it, yet an opened global injection key, famous to be used by malware, and a disabled BIOS setting blocking it and bootsector misuse, seems to be a much bigger evil. But anyway, you're the boss. :rolleyes:

Clearly Microsoft doesn't want this to work. In their twisted minds, they want to close off everything, so that you get what they give and nothing more.

So what? They're all idiots up in Redmond now anyway. They should be happy people are trying to turn their dog crap of a system into something worth using. They clearly can no longer accomplish that themselves.

By the way, BigMuscle, your July 4 version, 0.95, works perfectly here on Windows 8.0.

I've kind of lost track... Were you thinking of trying to solve the "no highlight behind the title text in ribbon-type windows with Win 8 Aero" problem in your product out of the box, or were you thinking that opening up the ability to use alternate themes covers that well enough?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 07 July 2013 - 05:48 PM.

k53eintel

k53eintel

• Banned
  • 16 posts
To Windows 8.1 works WindowBlinds8

Posted Image

Just need to buy the program or crack for software WindowBlinds8

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted Image

There is no blur, so that is really ugly.

I prefer from far what Bigmuscle did. The cpu load muss be also higher with WindowsBlind.

k53eintel

k53eintel

• Banned
  • 16 posts

Posted Image

There is no blur, so that is really ugly.

I prefer from far what Bigmuscle did. The cpu load muss be also higher with WindowsBlind.

Yes, with the blurring of Bigmuscle it would be better. Do not argue.
But as long as there is WindowBlinds8. Here is a working crack for WindowBlinds8 and one theme

Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
Final version for Win8 and (private) testing preview for Win8.1 will be available in a few days. Just be patient and do not post any cracked software here (and WB does not provide real glass effect thus it should not be discussed here either).

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 180 posts
Should you need more win 8.1 testing machines, I'm available.
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

EvilAlex

EvilAlex

• 22 posts

Clearly Microsoft doesn't want this to work. In their twisted minds, they want to close off everything, so that you get what they give and nothing more.
So what? They're all idiots up in Redmond now anyway. They should be happy people are trying to turn their dog crap of a system into something worth using. They clearly can no longer accomplish that themselves.

[offtopic]
True. But before blaming them, there's a bigger and much more sinister picture at play. Some even call it "the death of PC". I think such loud words are way far fetched, but the tendency is here indeed, and it is very disturbing.
Some wise guy wrote, "yes, you can do LESS, NOT MORE with tablets, and that's precisly why they're winning the market over". As paradoxal as it may sound, that's, unfortunaletly exactly what the average user wants: Simplicity.
That's a big, nasty, depressing topic which can be discussed endlessly. Point is: Redmond f***ed up not because they caught the wind, but because they're too late for it, their solution is bloated and cumbersome, and their
pushing of it into the "n.1 DESKTOP system", given it used to be their own system, is now more like a deliberate move to saw the branch on which they're seated (Or poison their own water... Doesn't matter, you've got the metaphor.),
since they obviously won't win the tablet market over at they did PC all that time ago. Being late to the table, instead of making up by sticking to thier plate and filling it with such a delicios food that no one will look at the plates of others,
they try to steal, silently, from the plates of others and compose something resembling a dish from these pieces. A completely losing strategy if you ask me... And of course, no one will. :)
[/offtopic]

So, cheers to the people like BigMuscle for trying to fix what can still be fixed.
And yes, can't wait for the final release :) Glad it'll happen soon.

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Hey guys, made a new all in one installer for the latest version, I have tested it a fair amount but as always, make a backup or system restore before making any changes to your OS, the installer comes with a complete uninstaller as well, all registries keys are adding during installation and also removed when uninstalled, including color swatches, the installer can be used on x86 and x64 systems and all features are enabled by default, the installer also includes the modified simple version of AGTweaker and it will add a desktop shortcut as well as a context menu shortcut for AGTweaker.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Download the Installer from Mediafire.

http://www.mediafire...gv8ybnat6fdp88p

@ BigMuscle if this is not something you would like to have posted here please let me know and I will remove it.

Does it work if a previous version of Aeroglass was installed ?

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

Does it work if a previous version of Aeroglass was installed ?

It should but probably best to remove the old version first before using the installer, if you set it up manually before in C:\DWM the installer will move the old dwmglass.dll to the temp folder for deletion on restart and place the new one in there. but to be safe I would still recommend removing any previous versions completely including any registry entries you may have added, but really unless you need to test this build then it's probably better to just wait for Big Muscles final version he is going to release shortly.

ProgMaster

ProgMaster
  • 1 posts
Please add Windows 8.1 support.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

Please add Windows 8.1 support.

Please read the post a above from BigMuscle

Final version for Win8 and (private) testing preview for Win8.1 will be available in a few days. Just be patient and do not post any cracked software here (and WB does not provide real glass effect thus it should not be discussed here either).

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,921 posts

Donator

AERO GLASS for Win8 RC4

works fine so far :)
Posted Image

Nickygamer

Nickygamer

• 10 posts

I have a few high end and low end machines to test windows 8.1 preview on, let me know if I can help.

Nickygamer

Nickygamer

• 10 posts

I have a few high end and low end machines to test windows 8.1 glass
preview on, let me know if I can help.

Oops, double post! :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by Nickygamer, 08 July 2013 - 11:16 AM.

odysseyofnoises

odysseyofnoises

• 23 posts
I have RC4 and it's working fine for me. I can use screensavers now too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN