Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

... security context is already violated severely. An app launching DWM outside Winlogon (if it can, actually, be done) may be a nasty hole in it, yet an opened global injection key, famous to be used by malware, and a disabled BIOS setting blocking it and bootsector misuse, seems to be a much bigger evil. But anyway, you're the boss. :rolleyes:

Clearly Microsoft doesn't want this to work. In their twisted minds, they want to close off everything, so that you get what they give and nothing more.

lol, are you for real? Do you think the people at Microsoft have some master plan to control how you use your OS or something? The "restrictive" stuff that they put in Windows is for the concern of security and nothing more. I hope you're not one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that everytime a windows update breaks some hack it's because Microsoft purposely put in some way to prevent it.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Nice job on RC4 BigMuscle, a slight lag of aero but to be expected with the d/l of the symbols, works good on a silent installer I made, Looking fwd to the final version..DP

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 13-May 13

Nice job on RC4 BigMuscle, a slight lag of aero but to be expected with the d/l of the symbols, works good on a silent installer I made, Looking fwd to the final version..DP

You mean that the RC4 is a little bit slower than the previous releases ?

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

No, if you read BigMuscle's changelog file says "* automatic symbols downloading for DWM libraries --> this delays glass loading a bit".
All other versions of aero glass did immediate change when using gui to enable or disable..DPPosted Image

You mean that the RC4 is a little bit slower than the previous releases ?

Edited by DosProbie, 09 July 2013 - 08:16 AM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

lol, are you for real? Do you think the people at Microsoft have some master plan to control how you use your OS or something? The "restrictive" stuff that they put in Windows is for the concern of security and nothing more. I hope you're not one of those conspiracy theorists who believe that everytime a windows update breaks some hack it's because Microsoft purposely put in some way to prevent it.

Sorry, no theory here; I'm all about practicality. Check out my books some time. But I won't litter up BigMuscle's thread with more discussion this subject here. You're entitled to feel however you feel.

I just want to say "THANKS" one more time to BigMuscle for his developments here. I just had to test some software installer work on Windows 8, and I actually found it a real pleasure to use once the desktop windows are actually nicely adorned with Aero Glass and drop shadows via theme resource replacement. Of course, that doesn't fix several of the major things Microsoft just deleted, but at least it doesn't poke you in the eye with a sharp stick every time you use it.

BRAVO, BigMuscle!

-Noel

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

~ AeroGlass_v095_RC4-x64 Silent Installer for Windows 8 ~

[Download]: AeroGlass Installer

Go to my Aero Installer thead to obtain the Updated version v.03 ==>http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/

This is an open source installer for Big Muscle's RC4 Aero Glass that I made for myself and thought I would share it for those of you looking for a AIO hands free install for AeroGlass, or the "Kiss" method as my Dad use to say ie."keep it simple stupid" lol. Anyway it includes the following.

[Features]

- Creates a Shortcut in Start Menu Programs and Control Panel for easy access.

- A right click desktop context menu called "Toggle Aero Glass" to change aero glass on the fly.

- Uses the AGTweaker gui to easily adjust your aero glass, custom theme resources etc.

- Includes Uninstaller in Windows 8 programs and features and DWM.

- This is a 64-bit version, fully tested and working.

[Install]

- Just unzip the file, remove any existing C:\DWM directory.

- Right-Click on Setup.cmd and run as administrator, will do quick install then logoff to adjust settings.

Enjoy! DP :yes:

Edited by DosProbie, 19 July 2013 - 03:51 AM.

zampONakiaskiou

zampONakiaskiou

• 12 posts
  • Joined 20-May 13

Enjoy! DP Posted Image

It talks to me :D :D :D
Thank you for this!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Glad u like it..Στην Υγεια σου! Posted Image

Enjoy! DP Posted Image

It talks to me :D :D :D
Thank you for this!

VolitationThorax

VolitationThorax
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

This is an open source installer for Big Muscle's RC4 Aero Glass that I made for myself and thought I would share it for those of you looking for a AIO hands free install for AeroGlass, or the "Kiss" method as my Dad use to say ie."keep it simple stupid" lol. Anyway it includes the following.

[Features]

- Creates a Shortcut in Start Menu Programs and Control Panel for easy access.

- A right click desktop context menu called "Toggle Aero Glass" to change aero glass on the fly.

- Uses the AGTweaker gui to easily adjust your aero glass, custom theme resources etc.

- Includes Uninstaller in Windows 8 programs and features and DWM.

- This is a 64-bit version, fully tested and working.

[Install]

- Just unzip the file, remove any existing C:\DWM directory.

- Right-Click on Setup.cmd and run as administrator, will do quick install then logoff to adjust settings.

Enjoy! DP Posted Image

Thanks. This makes whole lot of things easier.

XSStudio

XSStudio

• 11 posts
  • Joined 02-July 13
Wo-oh, this doesn't look good... After updating my OS (a bunch of fixes have come up very recently), the hook seems to be incompatible with DWM: window border receives no glass effect, but the taskbar is looking all right; and it couldn't link to the symbol server to download dwmcore.pdb, because "the requested data is either not available or needs to be retrieved by using the latest Microsoft Symbol Server technology". Any ideas? :(

Edit: Well, I don't expect my following responses being deleted... :huh: I don't think I was talking sth inappropriate here, just discovery and discussion. Anyway, the above case is "solved".

Attached Files

Edited by XSStudio, 10 July 2013 - 11:49 PM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
It looks like symbol server was down. Wait some time and then restart dwm.exe to try again. Also, remember that you must have internet connection available and check that connections from dwm.exe are not blocked by your firewall.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

XSStudio

XSStudio

• 11 posts
  • Joined 02-July 13

It looks like symbol server was down. Wait some time and then restart dwm.exe to try again. Also, remember that you must have internet connection available and check that connections from dwm.exe are not blocked by your firewall.

I know. It's neither network nor firewall problem. Will wait for tomorrow to test it again.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
Also try that your browser can connect to "http://msdl.microsof...wnload/symbols" (you should get empty page but no error).

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13
Sigh. Posts appear to have been lost from this thread again.

Bigmuscle, have you considered moving this discussion to a more reliable forum site?

-Noel

BlB

BlB
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13
Probably one off-topic question:

How to make real transparent tiles???

Thanks in advance!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

This is the Windows 8 Thread and I see you are Still using XP, so you should ask over there..

Probably one off-topic question:

How to make real transparent tiles???

Thanks in advance!

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

"Failed to load custom theme file"
Every now and then I get this debug.log error message and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten it as well?Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Every now and then I get this debug.log error message and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten it as well?Posted Image

It was already discussed before. It means that you have set your custom theme resource to the invalid file.

jofkata81

jofkata81
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 08-June 13
Hi my debug log works great for my.
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by jofkata81, 11 July 2013 - 05:18 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Sorry missed that one, invalid as in what? file missing , corrupted etc? oh and what post# was that so I can look it up..
Thanks, DP

It was already discussed before. It means that you have set your custom theme resource to the invalid file.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13

Sorry missed that one, invalid as in what? file missing , corrupted etc? oh and what post# was that so I can look it up..
Thanks, DP

The Custom Theme Resource file might have been accidentally deleted/moved OR the value set in the registry might be invalid.

Edited by Rayn19, 11 July 2013 - 07:05 AM.

quanzi1507

quanzi1507

• 25 posts
  • Joined 06-July 13
Just got a black screen with cursor after updating and reboot. Any suggestion to boot into desktop aside from doing a system recovery?

I was using UxStyle with Aero Glass RC4 btw...

UPDATE: Ok nvm, after leaving it for 5 minutes or so the lock screen showed up and everything was back to normal.

Edited by quanzi1507, 11 July 2013 - 09:15 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Thanks for the reply Rayn, do you or anyone else have the registry setting for the theme files so I can go ck it out..Thanks DP

Thanks, DP

The Custom Theme Resource file might have been accidentally deleted/moved OR the value set in the registry might be invalid.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Is the DWMGlass.png suppose to rename my selected custom theme file then stay in the DWM root folder?..I notice sometimes it pops out and other times it resides there..DP

Posted Image

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 05-February 13

Is the DWMGlass.png suppose to rename my selected custom theme file then stay in the DWM root folder?..I notice sometimes it pops out and other times it resides there..DP

Posted Image

I don't use AGTweaker, I set the values manually in the registry. I posted about the Custom Theme Resource a couple of weeks ago, here's the post. BTW I use Custom Themes now, with Uxstyle.

Make a new String Value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM , named, CustomThemeResource containing the path to the custom theme resource file and restart (or change between themes).

Posted Image.

Edited by Rayn19, 11 July 2013 - 08:41 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users