Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

BlindMango

BlindMango

• 19 posts

Dang! Haha, so I guess I'm not the only one the just had Windows update itself into a crazy mess, I simply disabled glass from AGTweaker and deleted the application for now. Not including today's events, this software has been working perfectly and I'll wait for the full version (which is hopefully soon) - hopefully this recent windows update didn't screw too much with the actual Glass8 process BigMuscle, but from what I'm reading, the issue wan't your software, but the installers like AGTweaker. Best of luck on getting the final product out the door! I'll be one of the first to download it when it arrives, that's for sure!

Edited by BlindMango, 19 July 2013 - 06:27 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

Dang! Haha, so I guess I'm not the only one the just had Windows update itself into a crazy mess, I simply disabled glass from AGTweaker and deleted the application for now. Not including today's events, this software has been working perfectly and I'll wait for the full version (which is hopefully soon) - hopefully this recent windows update didn't screw too much with the actual Glass8 process BigMuscle, but from what I'm reading, the issue wan't your software, but the installers like AGTweaker. Best of luck on getting the final product out the door! I'll be one of the first to download it when it arrives, that's for sure!

Hmm...interesting, as it´s working for me after all the updates, i would guess it not beeing an Aero Glass problem. Installed it here without the tweaker, changes can be done easily via Registry :D.

newhappy

newhappy

• 24 posts

Can't wait for the final !

When will the final published ?

Does the final support Windows 8.1?

Is It any shutdown black screen bugs?

Is the final version use another load method(not Appinit_DLLs)?

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

To the best of my knowledge from what I have read in this thread:

1)  Approx. I week

2)  No

3)  None identified in the version that is to be released

4)  No

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

ptd163

ptd163

• 37 posts

I installed Aero Glass on a Windows 8 Pro VM and it practically removes the taskbar's transparency. I'm not sure if that's because of AG or because it's a VM. If it is part of AG there any way to get AG and keep the taskbar's transparency? Will the final version have the taskbar transparency?

Edited by ptd163, 20 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Are you using Start8 or StartIsBack in addition to AG?  If so, you probably need to disable taskbar translucency in that other app.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

newhappy

newhappy

• 24 posts

To the best of my knowledge from what I have read in this thread:

1)  Approx. I week

2)  No

3)  None identified in the version that is to be released

4)  No

Cheers and Regards

Thank you.

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 683 posts

Donator

For those of you that would rather manually change BigMuscle's aero glass via the registry and not mess with one of the
available installers or a tweaker app, I created this standalone script called "DWMGlassTool". The tool has only
2 basic options: Enable Aero or Disable Aero, and because its a standalone and non-tweaker it does not
require any installation or uninstaller, nor does it leave behind old registry changes like a tweaker app.

You can get the DWMGlassTool off of my thread @ ==>http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/

[How To Use]
>> Just Download AeroGlass 32 or 64-bit from BigMuscle @http://glass8.berlios.de/
>> Create a folder called DWM in your systemdrive and place the six (6) downloaded files in.
>> Launch as admin. DWMGlassTool from your desktop.
>> Choose your option.
>> Will logoff to make registry change.

Thats it..simple and easy..DP :yes:

Edited by DosProbie, 20 July 2013 - 04:56 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Dang! Haha, so I guess I'm not the only one the just had Windows update itself into a crazy mess

Interesting.  I keep up with Windows Updates and haven't once had the Aero Glass for Win8 feature go awry.

-Noel

BlindMango

BlindMango

• 19 posts

Dang! Haha, so I guess I'm not the only one the just had Windows update itself into a crazy mess

Interesting.  I keep up with Windows Updates and haven't once had the Aero Glass for Win8 feature go awry.

-Noel

I think its basically because I used an installer (AGTweaker) instead of how I was supposed to do it through the registry files, if you didn't use an installer like AGTweaker then you shouldn't be affected from what I'm reading

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

Used the installer by MrGRiM and unchecked all AGTweaker Options :D. No problems to do it manually likewise, but why...?

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts

I've noticed that since i last installed some WIndows updates, the aero doesn't work anymore.

I have a windows 8 X86 with the version 094.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

I've noticed that since i last installed some WIndows updates, the aero doesn't work anymore.

Do you you have RC4? It should automatically download the symbols when MS changes something.

odysseyofnoises

odysseyofnoises

• 23 posts

What will exactly be in the final version if the current one works perfectly?

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Do you you have RC4? It should automatically download the symbols when MS changes something.

Since the chart on the downloads page indicates that version 0.94 is RC3, then he in fact does not have RC4.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

What will exactly be in the final version if the current one works perfectly?

The main disadvantage of all builds is that they were compiled as debug with all optimizations disabled and many debugging operations enabled.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

Slifersky

Slifersky
  • 3 posts

There is one thing BigMuscle, the "Alt + Tab" table still doesn't have blur effect. Can you make it happen?

Thank you!

Tarzikaf

Tarzikaf

Open Source Developer

• 27 posts

I think that more people would be interested and/or able to use your mod if you used another method than AppInit_DLL...

Is there a reason why you stick to this frowned upon method?

Last I checked, a signature by Microsoft is only 100 USD.

Edited by Tarzikaf, 21 July 2013 - 11:50 PM.

-Tarzikaf/Voaxeyr

vjott

vjott

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

I think that more people would be interested and/or able to use your mod if you used another method than AppInit_DLL...

Is there a reason why you stick to this frowned upon method?

Last I checked, a signature by Microsoft is only 100 USD.

>only 100 USD

So...someone's gonna buy that for him or does he have to cough that up himself? I guess if you donated...

Tarzikaf

Tarzikaf

Open Source Developer

• 27 posts

100$ is cheap for a signature that runs on every machine you put the thing on. there's some decoders that are 1500$ per year.

Given bigmuscle's knowledge, I'm sure he can manage to afford it, given the time he's been working on this project, 10 bucks a month would do it.

While I like the efforts put into this, and the promising results, I struggle to understand why someone can think about releasing a product using appInit_DLL... Especially if the said product might be a paid one.

As far as I know, Stardock did it too, and they're using signed binaries.

But eh. I'm just saying what I think. this is a forum, right? Forums are made to talk and share opinions.

Edited by Tarzikaf, 22 July 2013 - 02:38 AM.

-Tarzikaf/Voaxeyr

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 683 posts

Donator

One issue I see when Aero Glass goes lives is the AppInit_DLLs infrastructure is disabled when secure boot is enabled and your non tech end users are not either going to know how to disable secure boot or just dont pay attention to the install notes on this...BigMuscle did say he would "get rid of AppInit_DLLs completely" if you look at his quote on Post #283 http://www.msfn.org/...n8-v132/page-12

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

100$ is cheap for a signature that runs on every machine you put the thing on. [..] Especially if the said product might be a paid one.
As far as I know, Stardock did it too, and they're using signed binaries.

bigmuscle has never said or even directly implied that he plans to charge for his app. Stardock, as a for profit corporation with many non-free apps, including the one you refer to, of course can well afford the signature fee.

And of course you are implying that getting a signature will magically fix bigmuscle's app so that everyone will be able to run the app on their system with no more problems of any kind, and I doubt very seriously that that is the case. :)

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 683 posts

Donator

You can see more about secure boot blocking unsigned drivers at http://technet.micro...s/jj737995.aspx

gontie

gontie

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts

I have tested the latest version and it really seems that one of the latest windows update has caused some trouble with all versions on Aero Glass.

If you need any log of information, don't hesitate to ask me.

Attached Files

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 683 posts

Donator

I have tested the latest version and it really seems that one of the latest windows update has caused some trouble with all versions on Aero Glass.

If you need any log of information, don't hesitate to ask me.

We Keep reading on here how "One" of the Wds undates is causing problems with AeroGlass but has anyone as of yet identified which .msu is the culpirt so maybe we could put it on the blacklist?  DP

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN