Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

@ Noel & DosProbie

Might it be a graphics driver related issue? Using here GTX 570 with Forceware 320.49.

A graphics issue was my first thought but I am using a Intel HD 3000 and up til now never had a issue until I enabled updates..

Let me ask you guys this.

.1.)  Are you using a custom patched theme with aero glass enable when doing your updates? or

2.)  Do you use the default Windows Aero theme with aero glass enable when doing the Updates?

Using UXStyle Patch here with Poison Theme by MrGRiM (can´t stand the default one longer than 10 secs), all is enabled even while running Win Updates.

Edited by s1ane77, 23 July 2013 - 11:56 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

@ Noel & DosProbie

Might it be a graphics driver related issue? Using here GTX 570 with Forceware 320.49.

A graphics issue was my first thought but I am using a Intel HD 3000 and up til now never had a issue until I enabled updates..

.1.)  Are you using a custom patched theme with aero glass enable when doing your updates? or

2.)  Do you use the default Windows Aero theme with aero glass enable when doing the Updates?

Using UXStyle Patch here with Poison Theme by MrGRiM (can´t stand the default one longer than 10 secs), all is enabled even while running Win Updates.

do you have KB2855336-x64.msu installed?

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

@ Noel & DosProbie

do you have KB2855336-x64.msu installed?

Yep...i have it installed.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

Well you guys that have KB2838727, KB2846071 and KB2855336 installed and your custom themes and aero glass working consider yourselves lucky, I now have completed over 12 hrs of tedious testing all the windows updates and have narrowed down my issues with only those 3 updates, They changed back my patched theme files to the original system .dll files causing my custom themes to no longer work and also disabled Aero Glass and connecting to the symbols site, So anyone else having similar issues I would check or do the following:
1.) Update your graphics card with latest drivers.
2.) Check the usual UEFI "Secure Boot" setting in bios and make sure it is "Disabled".
3.) Check if KB2838727, KB2846071 and KB2855336 are installed and if they are then "Uninstall" them.

Hope this help anyone else having similar issues..DP :yes:

Edited by DosProbie, 23 July 2013 - 05:52 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

I have never had a custom patched theme.  Just the standard Windows Aero theme plus the glass effect and the replacement of the compositing resources via BigMuscle's registry entry.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 23 July 2013 - 05:30 PM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

I have never had a custom patched theme. 

-Noel

That may be a smart move with $MS changing patched files now via Windows Updates..DP

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

Personally like the memory way of patching, as UXStyle does. Never faced any problem with Updates from the beginning. Only thing you have to arrange with is the slightly longer boottime. The latter disappeared when changing my system drive to SSD.

EDIT: @DP

Respect for your test marathon! :thumbup

Edited by s1ane77, 23 July 2013 - 07:38 PM.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
Microsoft always changed system files via Windows update... that's what it is for. On that account, I agree with s1ane77: in-memory patching is way more robust and exactly why UXStyle is superior. Too bad the experimental bits stopped working on win8.1 though (BSOD on install)
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

Microsoft always changed system files via Windows update... that's what it is for. On that account, I agree with s1ane77: in-memory patching is way more robust and exactly why UXStyle is superior. Too bad the experimental bits stopped working on win8.1 though (BSOD on install)

You are correct, seems like $M is intent on protecting us from ourselves with the updates to backdate our system files, I did a google search and found
plenty of hits on the "flashing black screen of death" and using patched themes, seems that UxStyle has also been targeted now as well..DP :}

http://forums.mydigi...9b744bf7f3c3e50
http://www.eightforu...epatcher-2.html

s1ane77

s1ane77

• 22 posts

:D : Information about Windows 8.1

UxStyle does not currently support Windows 8.1.

The donation run to fund the development of a UxStyle update was successful. Look for an update soon!

Last info from WithinRafael : http://uxstyle.com/

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

You are correct, seems like $M is intent on protecting us from ourselves with the updates to backdate our system files

More like, they patch bugs and vulnerabilities without caring about you patching your system files. No conspiracy there :P

:D : Information about Windows 8.1

UxStyle does not currently support Windows 8.1.
The donation run to fund the development of a UxStyle update was successful. Look for an update soon!

Last info from WithinRafael : http://uxstyle.com/

Good to know ^^
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Just looked over the Berlios landing page for the product:  http://glass8.berlios.de/

I must say, it's looking nice!

-Noel

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

I just simultaneously installed 52 updates (which somehow didn't include the problem update DP had), and everything worked just as it should :-)

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 82 posts

I have the latest updates and glass has worked fine for me. O_o

Really looking forward to the final release and the website does look great. Nice, clean, and simple.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Aero glass looks really good with the photos on this blog post about the Lumia 1020 set as the desktop background:

http://blogs.windows...lumia-1020.aspx

geniep

geniep
  • 3 posts

I am waiting for the next version..

when you release?

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

BigMuscle, I know there already has been some discussion on here on using a $M "digital signature" with your product, I see where other developers like Rafael with UxStyle http://www.winmatrix...ll-from-rafael/
used donations to fund this, I for one would donate for that and something you could add to your website.

Anyone else like this idea? If so let's take a vote..Aye or Nay?..DP :yes:

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

BigMuscle, I know there already has been some discussion on here on using a $M "digital signature" with your product, I see where other developers like Rafael with UxStyle http://www.winmatrix...ll-from-rafael/
used donations to fund this, I for one would donate for that and something you could add to your website.

for those of us that dont understand these things can you explain what the advantages are - have followed the discussion about updates breaking things - for me that has not happened but who knows what M$ will do in the future - does this mean Glass is then approved and cannot be broken

Edited by adacom, 25 July 2013 - 08:27 AM.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Good grief, I hate it when people abbreviate Microsoft as M$, but if you have to do it, can you do it right? What is $M anyway?  Softmicro?

And there are other companies besides MS that also like money. Apple was artificially raising ebook prices. The only difference is that Apple doesn't have an "S" in its name.

And I don't want to call it M$ when it provides so many free resources to students.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

Good grief, I hate it when people abbreviate Microsoft

Edited by DosProbie, 25 July 2013 - 10:51 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

BigMuscle, I know there already has been some discussion on here on using a M$ "digital signature" with your product, I see where other developers like Rafael with UxStyle http://www.winmatrix...ll-from-rafael/

Good grief, I hate it when people abbreviate Microsoft as M$, but if you have to do it, can you do it right? What is $M anyway?  Softmicro?

And there are other companies besides MS that also like money. Apple was artificially raising ebook prices. The only difference is that Apple doesn't have an "S" in its name.

And I don't want to call it M$ when it provides so many free resources to students.

OMG! (are do I need to spell that out for you also) and your ranting has what to do with Aero Glass and this thread?? If you want to correct my English grammar why don't you open up you own thread and then you can express all your opinions there..DP :boring:

Edited by DosProbie, 25 July 2013 - 10:47 AM.

Rayn19

Rayn19

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Looking forward to the final release...in the mean time here is my debug log.

Edited by Rayn19, 25 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

for those of us that dont understand these things can you explain what the advantages are - have followed the discussion about updates breaking things - for me that has not happened but who knows what M$ will do in the future - does this mean Glass is then approved and cannot be broken

Digital signature are commonly used for software distribution integrity..DP
http://blog.didierst...gory/windows-7/
http://stackoverflow...ls-on-windows-7

DimasKid

DimasKid

• 28 posts

still waiting the final one...  :whistle:

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 732 posts

Donator

Hard to believe that this project has been over six months now, So when BigMuscle feels its ready then i have no issue with that, actually I wouldn't mind if he did a RC5 

for more testing..DP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN