Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2630 replies to this topic

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Hard to believe that this project has been over six months now, So when BigMuscle feels its ready then i have no issue with that, actually I wouldn't mind if he did a RC5 

for more testing..DP

I know. Man, I remember testing the first preview versions. He has gone a long way since then. Thank you BigMuscle for all of your work! I can't wait to see what's in the final version.

If you are open to suggestions for version 2, I wouldn't mind having the "aero reflection" stripes from Windows Vista and 7 along with aero glass, it adds a nice touch. But don't feel pressured, it's just a thought :-)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,030 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

I just simultaneously installed 52 updates (which somehow didn't include the problem update DP had), and everything worked just as it should :-)

I have switched from UltraUXThemePatcher to UxStyle and so far no Black Flashing screens after doing 57 updates..DP :thumbup

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

I just simultaneously installed 52 updates (which somehow didn't include the problem update DP had), and everything worked just as it should :-)

I have switched from UltraUXThemePatcher to UxStyle and so far no Black Flashing screens after doing 57 updates..DP :thumbup

Is UxStyle immune to the black screen/unbootable problems that some people say it has?

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

That's good news.  Glad you have things working now.

Out of curiosity, do the 3rd party themes affect the scroll bar thumbs in IE10?  In other words to they make them anything but flat, light gray rectangles?

-Noel

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Is UxStyle immune to the black screen/unbootable problems that some people say it has?

No, it's not. The black screen is not realted to any kind of UX* patcher. It simply means that DWM failed to load theme specified in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key (which can happen regardless the used patcher). I think it's wrong behaviour to restart itself infinitely instead of using some default hardcoded (or none) theme.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,030 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

No, it's not. The black screen is not realted to any kind of UX* patcher. It simply means that DWM failed to load theme specified in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry key (which can happen regardless the used patcher). I think it's wrong behaviour to restart itself infinitely instead of using some default hardcoded (or none) theme.

Big Muscle, I am sure you would be the expert on that, but all I know is that now after installing all recommended updates I am having no more black screen issues using UxStyle that does not change any system .dll files but uses different method working off a digitally signed .exe file in the windows directory and services..DP :boring:

Edited by DosProbie, 26 July 2013 - 04:16 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,030 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

That's good news.  Glad you have things working now.

Out of curiosity, do the 3rd party themes affect the scroll bar thumbs in IE10?  In other words to they make them anything but flat, light gray rectangles?

-Noel

Nope, both IE scroll bars are the same but the vertcal (up and down) scroll bar in personalization is a major difference
with the Custom theme/s having much more defined bar with the horizional finger notches and the Windows default just being
a flat gray non-defined bar. DP :yes:Default_Vertical_Bar.jpg

Custom_Vertical_Bar.jpg

Edited by DosProbie, 26 July 2013 - 04:38 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Big Muscle, I am sure you would be the expert on that, but all I know is that now after installing all recommended updates I am having no more black screen issues using UxStyle that does not change any system .dll files but uses different method working off a digitally signed .exe file in the windows directory and services..DP :boring:

Of course, it depends what is changed by the updates.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,208 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

latest IE updates often update uxtheme files. So when you use the patched uxtheme file this can cause issues:

http://support.micro....com/kb/2846071

Uxtheme.dll 6.2.9200.16537 661,504 21-Feb-2013 10:30 x86
Uxtheme.dll 6.2.9200.20641 662,016 21-Feb-2013 10:42 x86

Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Yes, in-memory patches (such as UxStyle or my Aero Glass) are proof of small changes in ux files (uxtheme.dll, uxinit.dll, themeservice.dll etc.). If structure of their code is changed or compiler/optimizer does certain optimization then our tools can fail too.

Rafaella1103

Rafaella1103

• 13 posts
  • Joined 17-May 13

works on Windows 8.1 Preview? thx

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 02-February 13

No

raiden89

raiden89

Junior

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 21-May 13

Read the thread. This question has been answered multiple times.

mikedigitize

mikedigitize

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

Noel, Like i said in my post..

So you must have had Aero glass disabled to get the update to install..DP

Nope.  I've had Aero Glass for Windows 8 installed, running, and up to date ever since somewhere well back in the alpha releases.  Windows Updates have just worked.  I can't recall having a time when I've had it off.

-Noel

Likewise over her. No problems, update with Aero Glass running./Mike

newhappy

newhappy

• 20 posts
  • Joined 18-March 13

When will the final release?

DosProbie

DosProbie

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,030 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

This question has been asked b4, or just pm bm

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,219 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Like fine wine, good software takes time.

A good installer even more so.

-Noel

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Like fine wine, good software takes time.

A good installer even more so.

-Noel

Wow, so the installer for this will take even more time than the software? I guess we should be expecting an early-mid February 2014 release, then.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value so it should be done by advanced user and not by automatic installer.

AlexKven

AlexKven

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value so it should be done by advanced user and not by automatic installer.

How does Windowblinds inject itself? It obviously does so via its installer. Does it also use the same Appinit_Dlls key that yours does? There's a way to make it work.

BlindMango

BlindMango

• 18 posts
  • Joined 09-May 13

Wait.. So you aren't gonna make a simple installer for the official product? You do realize that if you do that you will have people on a daily basis going directly to you asking you how to do it and you'll have to eventually have to make some sort of tutorial page... or just an installer after a while.

Edited by BlindMango, 28 July 2013 - 06:35 PM.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• 2,219 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value

Pardon me for being blunt, but that's ridiculous. 

If you don't do it, then basically you'll just have one of the several guys doing one already just pushing theirs.  It seems to me half the problems people have had in this thread have been because you didn't provide an integrated, direct installer, and they've been desperately trying to use one of the other installers.  The versions are getting crossed up, or they're tweaking wrong registry entries, or...

The job's not finished without even the simplest of installers, even if all it does besides deposit files is to set and clear one registry entry.  It wouldn't be the first installer that required logging off and on again or even a reboot for the installed software to function.

And "dangerous"?  How?  What's worrying you?  Are you making a fundamental differentiation between a user setting a registry value then getting a black screen vs. a user running an installer and getting a black screen?  I'm not seeing it.

-Noel

quanzi1507

quanzi1507

• 23 posts
  • Joined 06-July 13

I will not include installer at all unless I found a proper way to load glass at Windows start-up. It is still too much dangerous to modify AppInit_DLLs registry value

Pardon me for being blunt, but that's ridiculous. 

If you don't do it, then basically you'll just have one of the several guys doing one already just pushing theirs.  It seems to me half the problems people have had in this thread have been because you didn't provide an integrated, direct installer, and they've been desperately trying to use one of the other installers.  The versions are getting crossed up, or they're tweaking wrong registry entries, or...

The job's not finished without even the simplest of installers, even if all it does besides deposit files is to set and clear one registry entry.  It wouldn't be the first installer that required logging off and on again or even a reboot for the installed software to function.

And "dangerous"?  How?  What's worrying you?  Are you making a fundamental differentiation between a user setting a registry value then getting a black screen vs. a user running an installer and getting a black screen?  I'm not seeing it.

-Noel

I don't think that's ridiculous at all, AG in its current state is intended for advanced users (at least for those guys who know how the registry works and how to backup / restore your system just in case something bad happens). Manually apply AG to your system will help you know how to undo it (rather than an automatic installer which might risk leaving something behind). If the user can't handle those basic tasks, they shouldn't be using AG in the first place.

If those people are willing to risk their producing environment and use others' installer, it's their own fault for doing that. Even the original developer thinks it's not safe to use an automatic installer to modify AppInit_DLLS registry value, so why are people trying to make one? If you want to spread the word, it's simple, just write an in-depth tutorial on how to manually apply the AG, warn about the risks involved in using it and encourage the users to report bugs to this topic so BM could take a look into them and better the product, instead of creating additional problems that shouldn't be there in the first place (just how many posts in this thread are off-topic posts with people complaining about installer / tweaker - related problems?)

Edited by quanzi1507, 29 July 2013 - 01:32 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

There is no rule that final software must contain the installer. The majority of the software on the berlios/sourceforge/etc. does not have any installer and is available in the form of portable file only. It depends totally on the user how he installs the software into his computer.

How does Windowblinds inject itself? It obviously does so via its installer. Does it also use the same Appinit_Dlls key that yours does? There's a way to make it work.

I already wrote it earlier. WindowBlinds completely replaces the default UX theme service which makes complete rendering non-native. Also, WindowBlinds are the commercial application so there is the demand it has the installer. I am a developer of a library which reimplements blur effect, not a software company which creates complete solution.

And "dangerous"?  How?  What's worrying you?  Are you making a fundamental differentiation between a user setting a registry value then getting a black screen vs. a user running an installer and getting a black screen?  I'm not seeing it.

There is a big difference. In case the installer does it, user has absolutely no control what's changed. In case the advanced user does it, he knows what he changed and what to restore back in the case of any problems.

I have one installer prepared for a long time but since this library is very advanced/low-level thing, you can't never ensure that it works properly. It is not just "extract, modify registry value and restart", you must handle various cases such as updates, uninstalls, other software injecting via AppInit_DLLs, not having black screen on uninstall if user changes default theme, etc. etc. many of situations that you cannot handle completely by automatic installer.

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

i [sort of] understand the arguments about how the installer works or does not and can see both sides of the argument - surely it depends on what BM wants from it - if the program is commercial then it must be complete [surely] - or i would think so - so an installer should be there - but following the argument that it may not work in some cases then what use is it

as stated by BM he is a developer of a library that works but may never work in the true sense of a released program due to the way Microsoft have left the glass in windows 8 - he has done what many want and what there is may be it - imo its time to release the 1st final version - spread the word and look at problems/installers from there - 6 months ago what we see now seemed impossible - who knows what will happen in the future

Edited by adacom, 29 July 2013 - 02:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users