Word Docs Switch to Read-Only After Several Saves in Word 2003

mitchsc

Checking paths:

iE85EQE.png

They are usually truncated, so you click 'modify' and navigate around to see where it is, but don't actually change the path. Afterwards, maybe, check with Windows Explorer or file manager what's going on there (permissions, read-only, etc.)

Also check addins:

MQSKg2u.png

Also, if you're not sure, don't change anything, just check if there is something out of ordinary there. Maybe post a screenshot.

GL

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. It's been several weeks, and I have gone thru all possible recommendations to solve the Read-Only problem. The bad news: Nothing has completely "solved" the problem. The good news: updating Office 2003 to SP3 helped dramatically.

I've noticed that the larger the document, and the more Word docs I have open at the same time, the more likely the Read-Only problem will occur.

Here is some unexpected information that may be useful to others. Putting Word 2003 in Compatibility Mode - XP SP3, causes a bizarre problem. With multiple Word documents open at the same time, Saves gradually take longer and longer. I measured up to 6 seconds per save. Rebooting resets the delay. It seems to accumulate over 30-60 minutes of use. I would not recommend putting Word 2003 in Compatibility Mode - XP SP3. It had no positive effect whatsoever on the Read-Only problem.

Well, I seem to have run out of options to solve the Read-Only problem, so I guess I'll have to live with it until someone discovers a solution. Based on the forums I've read, this problem has been going on for years with every version of Word and Windows. People have been quite upset with Microsoft for not addressing it.

Thanks to all for your support and kind assistance...

MSC

Using the setting I gave/use, I will have MANY "temporary" files in the folder in which a given DOC is opened in after a period of time and that's with JUST a relatively small file, making changes or NOT.

Bottom line, you are trying to do TOO MANY changes with TOO MANY files opened simultaneously. You're creating your own problem. ;)

I see. I wasn't aware of that. So, if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that I would be better off keeping open Word docs to a minimum, and closing them between uses to delete temp files?

There is one file I use constantly, all day long, and rarely close it during a given day. This is also the large file I was referring to. Perhaps opening, and closing it as needed would solve the Read-Only problem for me.

Thank you. This is excellent news!

Very well could be. To demonstrate to yourself, create a dummy DOC file somewhere, key some text, copy/past the text, leave it opened for a few, copy/paste some more, then go to the Folder where you saved the DOC.

Take a look at this -

http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office-word/253998-temporary-wrl-files.html

When I first open a DOC there is a "beginning" file that has "~$" replacing the first two characters as a TEMP file.