[Resolved]NetBIOS disabled (Unattend.xml)but enablled on HW - Why?

I use this code in my Unattend.xml file to disable NetBIOS:

<Interface wcm:action="add">
<NetbiosOptions>2</NetbiosOptions>
<Identifier>Local Area Connection</Identifier>
</Interface>

When the ISO is installed on a VM (VMware Player) NetBIOS is disabled. But when I install the same system on my HW, NetBIOS becomes enabled again. This occurs both to a desk top and laptop. The DT runs the VM system and I was thinking it was doing the enable. The laptop does not run VMware but does use WiFi. I don't seem to be able to get any traction via searching. I also run FileZilla client on both systems and FileZilla server on the LT. Can anyone tell me what is enabling NetBIOS and why? Thanks and enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

Thanks, submix8c. Yes "Local Area Connection" (without the quotes) is the name of the NIC. I use the netsh command from a batch file via FirstLogonCommands to change the name, so the new name is what ends up for the NIC name. Remember this all seems to work under VM but not the HW. The only real difference is that I don't usually install security SW (CIS, Comodo Internet Security) on VM. I will do that tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Thanks, Tripredacus, great candidate and explains the VM/HW discrepancy. In looking for a way to do this through a command prompt, I found this.

wmic nicconfig where index=7 call SetTcpipNetbios 2

It depends on knowing the index number which is 7 right now but may not be true on my next install. Do you have any ideas? Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Just found this:

NETSH  RAS  IP  SET  BROADCASTNAMERESOLUTION DISABLED

Would this apply to all adapters?

EDIT: The netsh command does not work on my VM system.

EDIT: The netsh command may be server only. Here is a good link to a thread on disabling NetBIOS.

EDIT:WMIC command can also be used via MAC address:

wmic nicconfig where macaddress="00:0C:29:44:7A:ED" call SetTcpipNetbios 2

Edited by johnhc

EDIT:WMIC command can also be used via MAC address:

wmic nicconfig where macaddress="00:0C:29:44:7A:ED" call SetTcpipNetbios 2

Yes, its fortunate that WMIC commands are kinda like SQL queries. I would recommend you try using the WMI Tools (specifically the Object Browser) to find some value to search for to use in your command. Tools are here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24045

I had to do something similar to detect fingerprint sensors... Also, you can use a "like" instead of "where" to find a partial match. That may be helpful in MAC Addresses, since you could specify just the first 2-3 octets. Here is an example, not as a wmic command, but I'm pretty sure you can still use "like"

SELECT * FROM Win32_PnPEntity WHERE Name LIKE '%Fingerprint%'

Not necessarily OT (re - "NETSH")... Should be there?

Got curious and google'd

netsh "windows 7"

New NETSH Commands. Or... maybe last link is erroneous? (says Win2k8). This one also says Win2k8?

DUH! This says "Applies To: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista", so... :huh::unsure: "VM"???

Definitely OT but may be useful (from the google search)

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/create_a%20virtual_wireless_router_with_windows.htm

Not intending to confuse the issue, just checking/confirming...

Because planning on Win7 "Soon!" "How soon?" "Real soon..."

addendum - DOH! Maybe it's due to the VM vs Real Machine? (see Virtual Wireless OT link above)? Could be some kind of conflicts between them (same MAC, right?).

submix8c, thanks, but I guess I am obtuse - what is OT? My VM (VMware Player) does not have a wireless NIC and I suspect the problem is not the VM, but possibly the HW NIC driver install as Tripredacus suggested. I too found references to the netsh commands applying to W7, but it did not work.

Tripredacus, fortunately I have only two machine with a total of four NICs. I know the MAC addresses and can use them with the wmic command to hopefully get the correct results. I will need to test on HW, so it may be awhile. I hope to remember to post the results here.

Thanks Tripredacus and submix8c for your help. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Bad news. The 'wmic nicconfig where macaddress="00:0C:29:44:7A:ED" call SetTcpipNetbios 2' command fails with a RC of 84 if there is no connection(media).

Edited by johnhc

I have found what I think are the relavent keys and, at least, a manual method of disabling NetBIOS. The key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards 

has one or more subkeys with names like 8 and 14 (ie, small integers). In each of these keys is the value "ServiceName" containing a GUID. The key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces\

when concatenated with "Tcpip_" concatenated with the GUID locates the value "NetbiosOptions". This value can be set to change the status of NetBIOS for that NIC. A quick look in the Registry should make this clearer. Manually this works fine. Any comments would be appreciated, especially if this will not work. Thanks and enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...