Testing ISO

Hi all, I just have one question. I tried to download VMWare and it wouldn't download because my computer lacks system resource. What do you recommend? I am a nube at this so I feel like I need to try my ISO on something before I wast time burning to a CD/DVD or installing on my computer.

Pent 3 1ghz

512 MB ram

Windows XP Pro

My Computer does not support boot from USB in Bios (Is there a way to make this happen?)

Two questions I guess

Thanks

The usually recommended Virtual environment (by me) that can run on *any* hardware/OS (of course within limits) is Qemu.

Running under Windows (NT family) there is a nice GUI frontend for it, Qemu Manager, which is strongly recommended :thumbup :

http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

Generally speaking VMware (and VirtualBox) are NOT "ideal" environments to test a bootable CD for the install of a NT based system because they use "proprietary" (virtual) hardware that needs specific drivers.

Qemu, on the other hand uses "standard" (virtual) hardware which drivers are already included in any NT OS install, particularly a NT installed in a Qemu VM will use the Microsoft "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE" which will prevent the common on other VM's STOP ERROR 0x0000007b.

Testing a .ISO through an image on a USB stick is an exercise in futility :w00t: as it implies at least two layers of complexity (grub4dos to map the .iso in "text mode" and a NT driver such as Winvblock or Firadisk for "GUI mode") to which, in your specific case you would need to add a third layer (the PLoP bootmanager to add a USB stack to your BIOS), in practice everything and the contrary of everything can happen in such a setup :ph34r: .

Please note how Qemu is slower than other virtual machine solutions, but at the same time it is more "similar" to real hardware.

If you are willing to install XP/2003 from USB, take your time on the dedicated forum, several different tools/approaches available:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

If you are going to experiment with PLoP, this might come of use:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

<snip>I need to try my ISO on something before I wast time burning to a CD/DVD or installing on my computer.

Pent 3 1ghz

512 MB ram<snip>

I use this or this and have no problem due to my PC specs.

But please note in ANY VM Environment case that the specs you give above are somewhat limiting, specifically the second point since ALL VM's "steal" RAM for the VM. Be aware that splitting it 215mb-Host/215mb-Guest (cutting it close) will cause a real lag BUT since the intent is to test the ISO/Install, you should (kind of) be OK no matter which you choose. Just a fair warning. ;)