Why was MSFN down yesterday and why is it still slow?

MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...

Have the problems become so frequent with this board, such as the most recent outage a few days ago, that they no longer are even mentioned here, or in the "IPB Update July 2013" threads, or any place else that I have seen? I sort of gather, http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163688-windows-8-backdoor-access/?p=1047805, that there was a crash (do we know what caused it?) and some data loss was experienced -- again. Perhaps someone should talk with Nik over at Wincert since I think both sites are now using the same, or close to it, version of the same board software and compare notes. Wincert definitely had some issues when they last "upgraded" the board software, most of which have now been addressed or worked around, but at least they have been stable and do not have some of the formatting issues that have been complained about here. Just my two cents.

EDIT: I saw mention of this latest crash over at Ryan's as well, but no explanation of what happened, if anyone knows that is. But if no one knows, then THAT is a problem! :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

That the pinned thread at RyanVM's is already our unofficial regroup point, that's for sure. What happened specifically I sure don't know either, but sure MSFN did become unreachable for some 18 h late Friday and most of Saturday. I don't see it as a new phenomenom, but rather as part of the SQL issues we've been facing from before the update, and which were not completely healed by the update itself AFAICS... However, I keep hoping they'll be solved once and for all soon.

Database issues are caused by Oracle. They changed the way how logs (binary format) are stored in /var/log and filling /var/log partition quickly with tens of GB logs. When /var/log reach 100% database crash. Anyway, binary logs are disabled now.

Server is running latest MySQL, PHP and Apache.

• 3 weeks later...

What I have been experiencing lately is: I have to keep refreshing my adapter info! (I didnt ever have to do this until a few months ago) sometimes it goes 3/4 days and I dont have to..... (i dont know what is going on)

I have to open WINIPCFG and click RENEW ALL or i cant connect to some sites! (No response from the server (Didnt used to happen so they obviously have changed something with DNS servers THAT IS NOT GOOD!! -- I dont think it has anything to do with MSFN))

One of the HDD drives failed last night... replaced minutes ago... and during HDD replacement database become corrupted...

man, i love this, grrrrrr

Automated Monitoring System has detected a service failure on Hardware Server athena.msfn.org beginning at 2013-09-12 16:54:39 CDT