Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Why was MSFN down yesterday and why is it still slow?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

"Randomly" fails... The ODD thing is that (most of) the post(s) actually go through any way...

Yeah, they go through. And if you go back and post again, of course you get a double post which is what happened the other day.

Here's the really ODD thing -

When you click to post, and get the error above, returning to the Main Forum page will display the forum and topic you posted in as having "new" posts to YOU - when YOU made the post! :w00t: :lol:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Still getting these various errors, and they are getting more frequent...

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Yes I suspect a lot of people are getting the Driver Error, but every time the action still goes through. I've seen it in various cases of interacting with the database, be it posting a reply, moving a thread or...

Spoiler

:ph34r:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
It even acts weird when just trying to go to the last post in a thread. About 25% of the time it will get a database error, but if I go "back" in my browser and try again using the exact same link it will usually work. But this has been getting more and more frequent lately. It is very annoying.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Also, you can get this error when sending a PM but it doesn't say it the same way. If you are not in the "full editor" view (just the pop up one) and you click send it will say "Access Denied." I think it actually gets a driver error at that point but you don't see it. So if you get this type of message in the PM window, check your PMs before trying to send another one. I made the mistake and ended up sending 2 PMs to the user.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,124 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

why was msfn down today? again the DB server?
Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,018 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Same problem all week. Got worse before getting better. xper working hard at it in the last 3 days. Still at it right now. Write more later, since this message may disappear soon. Content from about the last 4 days is mostly gone, but, then again, we posted at our own risk, while knowing full well things were unstable... Omelettes cannot be made without the breaking of (at least some) eggs. :yes:

@xper: Thanks for getting it working again. Appreciated! :thumbup

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

@xper: Thanks for getting it working again. Appreciated! :thumbup

+1 :thumbup

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,374 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
+2 :thumbup
Had a baaaad feeling the last "cleanup" of spammers may have done some dirt. :unsure:
Google indicated the last post "alive" was about integrating (-X- had responded) english updates into brazilian(?) source...

xper be da man!!!! :yes:

edit - OWWWW! Search on -X- "all posts" gave this
Warning: Illegal string offset 'contentOnly' in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php on line 1054

Warning: Illegal string offset 'noPreview' in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php on line 1048

Warning: Illegal string offset 'pCount' in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php on line 1060

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php:1054) in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 109

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php:1054) in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 120

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php:1054) in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 129

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/applications/forums/extensions/search/engines/sql.php:1054) in /home/msfnorg/public_html/board/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 130
Oh, well... HTH in the "fixes"...

Edited by submix8c, 07 June 2013 - 03:54 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Is there some contagious problem with IPB going around ?

A day or so ago there were some strange effects at NeoWin too ( Forums turned offline for now [Update: We're back] ). Note the following ...

At the moment we're on an old version of IPB (3.2) so a database conversion is required in order to be able to perform the upgrade, which if all goes well, should be within a few days.

The forums won't be offline for all of all that time, but for now it's necessary.

[...]

Update: And we're back.. stay tuned for an announcement for the 3.4.5 upgrade.

You can't blame someone for wondering if they are causing SQL problems upstream to get everyone to update.

P.S. why not use @MSFNorg at Twitter to mention board status? Are there any other offsite places for news? Yahoo?

typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 08 June 2013 - 11:48 AM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,374 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Agreed! What's the point of having Twitter or Facebook if it's not used? A/L we wouldn't wonder...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

technoid

technoid

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08
Well other than the fact that many forum posts are now gone forever because of the crash (last posts set back to mostly around June 02), everything SEEMS ok here.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Well other than the fact that many forum posts are now gone forever because of the crash (last posts set back to mostly around June 02), everything SEEMS ok here.

If you're subscribed to any threads, are you getting e-mail notifications of new posts in those threads?

--JorgeA

technoid

technoid

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 16-June 08

If you're subscribed to any threads, are you getting e-mail notifications of new posts in those threads?

No, because I don't subscribe.

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04
I think a major issue right now is the infolink advertising on this board. It really brings down the user experience.

Apart from this annoyance the board works fine at the moment for me.
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Just wondering if there is another upgrade in the future here, as there currently is next door ...

Neowin Forums offline for upgrade to IPB 3.4.5 ( NeoWin 2013-06-16 )

We appreciate your patience while we upgrade, as long as the upgrade is taking place we will also not be able to publish any news due to SQL database management.

There's that SQL thingie again. One has to wonder if they are doing something upstream causing all the grief here. I notice even today when editing posts that sometimes the preview suddenly shows a different font, and sometimes bold formatting vanishes. Weird.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

There's that SQL thingie again. One has to wonder if they are doing something upstream causing all the grief here. I notice even today when editing posts that sometimes the preview suddenly shows a different font, and sometimes bold formatting vanishes. Weird.

It doesn't really work like that. You could technically run an old version of IPB for as long as you wanted and shouldn't have a problem.

I have also seen some formatting changes when going from page to page, etc... It is possible for some formatting to be "missing" if an include loads the Driver Error, for example some had seen that show up in the Attachment section below composing a post. Also, I say in GD sometimes the board will mark threads as read even if I haven't looked at them yet.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,124 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Why was msfn down earlier this day? Still SQL database issues?

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,018 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

MSFN was never down from here, in the latest 10h. Must have been something in-between you and MSFN that went down, not MSFN itself.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,525 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10

MSFN was never down from here, in the latest 10h. Must have been something in-between you and MSFN that went down, not MSFN itself.

I also had problems accessing the site. This was both in normal web browser and also in Opera Mini (where data comes through Opera servers).

post-47483-1123010975.png

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06

Same here, i had the problem about 14h ago.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Same. It was down here with a SQL Server error from at least 11PM last night to around 4AM US EST(EDT).

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,018 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Well... so it seems it was down while I was sleeping, and hence I didn't become aware of it till now. :blink:

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

So you can see dencorso, that you MUST stay on MSFN 24/7, otherwise the website may go down... :P

--JorgeA

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06

Perhaps, dencorso went to sleep after shutting down the database server :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users