Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Why was MSFN down yesterday and why is it still slow?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,919 posts

Donator

today it was also down . So the SQL Server issues are stil there. Which SQL server does the forum use? MySQL?

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,754 posts

Donator

Yes. MySQL.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,006 posts

Did anybody else have trouble getting on MSFN over the weekend? Every time I tried to visit on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, I got a DNS error. I ended up going to one of those "is my website down?" sites, and it said that MSFN was offline.

Might that have had something to do with the SQL server issue discussed in the previous couple of posts? At least we don't seem to have lost any posts this time.

--JorgeA

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Did anybody else have trouble getting on MSFN over the weekend? Every time I tried to visit on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, I got a DNS error. I ended up going to one of those "is my website down?" sites, and it said that MSFN was offline.

Same here. Strange things seem to be happening.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,919 posts

Donator

yes, I had the same issue.

Posted Image

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

I also had the problem and it was indeed at least a dns issue (the dns server owning the domain name were down).

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,754 posts

Donator

I had the same issue. I do think it was more than just dns, because I was equally unable to reach MSFN by IP. In any case, for those of us who happen to also be members of RyanVM's forum, we now have a thread there (thanks to tomasz86) to regroup and exchange information on the status of MSFN, should the need ever arise again.

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,138 posts

Donator

[...] for those of us who happen to also be members of RyanVM's forum, we now have a thread there (thanks to tomasz86) to regroup and exchange information on the status of MSFN, should the need ever arise again.

Stickied the thread in General Discussion.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,754 posts

Donator

:thumbup

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

I had the same issue. I do think it was more than just dns, because I was equally unable to reach MSFN by IP. In any case, for those of us who happen to also be members of RyanVM's forum, we now have a thread there (thanks to tomasz86) to regroup and exchange information on the status of MSFN, should the need ever arise again.

Yep, DNS was not available and direct IP Address also failed. Not just a DNS issue.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook MSFN sites, nothing was posted.

Funny thing was that I actually checked for a thread at RyanVM but did not find one Friday night and Saturday, that one was started Sunday I think.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,986 posts

It seems to me like everything is again cool and dandy. :thumbup:

Glitches in the matrix can happen.

Now, if only I would be able to see ハイドン's profile .... :(

http://www.msfn.org/...only/?p=1046789

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

;)

jaclaz

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Have the problems become so frequent with this board, such as the most recent outage a few days ago, that they no longer are even mentioned here, or in the "IPB Update July 2013" threads, or any place else that I have seen? I sort of gather, http://www.msfn.org/...cess/?p=1047805, that there was a crash (do we know what caused it?) and some data loss was experienced -- again. Perhaps someone should talk with Nik over at Wincert since I think both sites are now using the same, or close to it, version of the same board software and compare notes. Wincert definitely had some issues when they last "upgraded" the board software, most of which have now been addressed or worked around, but at least they have been stable and do not have some of the formatting issues that have been complained about here. Just my two cents.

EDIT:  I saw mention of this latest crash over at Ryan's as well, but no explanation of what happened, if anyone knows that is.  But if no one knows, then THAT is a problem!   :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 28 August 2013 - 02:37 AM.

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,754 posts

Donator

That the pinned thread at RyanVM's is already our unofficial regroup point, that's for sure. What happened specifically I sure don't know either, but sure MSFN did become unreachable for some 18 h late Friday and most of Saturday. I don't see it as a new phenomenom, but rather as part of the SQL issues we've been facing from before the update, and which were not completely healed by the update itself AFAICS... However, I keep hoping they'll be solved once and for all soon.

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,119 posts

Database issues are caused by Oracle. They changed the way how logs (binary format) are stored in /var/log and filling /var/log partition quickly with tens of GB logs. When /var/log reach 100% database crash. Anyway, binary logs are disabled now.

Server is running latest MySQL, PHP and Apache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Thanks for all your hard work xper.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,754 posts

Donator

Thanks for all your hard work xper.

+1

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,919 posts

Donator

why was it down again? DNS issues?

Posted Image

Dude111

Dude111

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
What I have been experiencing lately is: I have to keep refreshing my adapter info! (I didnt ever have to do this until a few months ago) sometimes it goes 3/4 days and I dont have to..... (i dont know what is going on)

I have to open WINIPCFG and click RENEW ALL or i cant connect to some sites! (No response from the server (Didnt used to happen so they obviously have changed something with DNS servers THAT IS NOT GOOD!! -- I dont think it has anything to do with MSFN))

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

public DNS couldn't find MSFN yesterday, however the IP address on record didn't work manually either.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,119 posts

One of the HDD drives failed last night... replaced minutes ago... and during HDD replacement database become corrupted...

man, i love this, grrrrrr

Automated Monitoring System has detected a service failure on Hardware Server athena.msfn.org beginning at 2013-09-12 16:54:39 CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read MSFN Forum Rules

Dude111

Dude111

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
Well I am sorry you had to go thru that XPER and I hope things are OK from now!!

We all much love this site you have provided and appreaciate your maintaining it :)

Thank you

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,919 posts

Donator

why was MSFN down earlier this day?

Posted Image

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,119 posts
Some script caused high server load. In the furure I will post updates on twitter. Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Read MSFN Forum Rules

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,155 posts

Something weird... Been logged off several times.

No need to respond. Just saying...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,119 posts

I'm working on msfn server and sites for several days now. Want to fix all glitches, errors and issues etc. Optimize everything and iron out all bugs and errors.

Read MSFN Forum Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN