Cable not connected after updates

mchipser

Senario:

System works normal then I run a rollup of updates (script to install all updates in a folder), then the network card no longer detects the cable plugged in. We test on 10 models of laptops / desktops and this is the only one with this issue. This rollup is from July of last year, so the KBs / Updates are from that time period.

Model : Compal BlB3 (Transource Roadrunner)

Network Card : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Operating system: Win7X86 SP1 / Win7x64 SP1 (happens on both OSs)

List of KBs installed in rollup script:

Windows6.1-KB2698365-x86.msu

Windows6.1-KB2655992-x86.msu

vbe62007-kb2596744-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Windows6.1-KB2691442-x86.msu

msxml4-KB2721691-enu.exe

Windows6.1-KB2719985-x86-6.0.msu

Windows6.1-KB2718523-x86.msu

rvkroots.exe

works6322007-kb2596871-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

infopath2007-kb2596666-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

ipeditor2007-kb2596786-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

msxml4-KB2721691-enu.exe

3rd party items installed in rollup script:

jre-7u5-windows-i586.exe

install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe

Regedits in rollup script:

disable Java phone home: HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy","EnableJavaUpdate","REG_DWORD","0"

Things I have done to attempt to fix it..

1. Update drivers (no luck)

2. Install all items manually to determine what broke the nic (everything works fine)

3. reset IP stack, I didn't think this would work but i saw it on a forum somewhere

I have attached a copy of the script, this is in autoit. Is there anything else I should try?

Updates_July12.au3

Edited by mchipser

yeah it probably had nothing to do with the forums being jacked the past week. just as bphlpt couldnt see the attachment, most likely because it still wasnt there 9 hours after being posted, not because he is being dense.

Just saying you could probably give folk a pass on any oddities you notice.

yeah it probably had nothing to do with the forums being jacked the past week. just as bphlpt couldnt see the attachment, most likely because it still wasnt there 9 hours after being posted, not because he is being dense.

Actually, it wasn't there because it was in the duplicate thread the OP had posted, which has since been deleted. Now he has posted the link in this thread as well, so we're all good. :)

Cheers and Regards

Actually, it wasn't there because it was in the duplicate thread the OP had posted, which has since been deleted. Now he has posted the link in this thread as well, so we're all good. :)

Cheers and Regards

Actually if you look at the time stamp at which the post was edited, you would see it was before the post asking for the attachment.

LmoC.th.png

Edited by mchipser

Actually if you look at the time stamp at which the post was edited, you would see it was before the post asking for the attachment.

LmoC.th.png

NOT really.

There is must be something buggy in the way the board software manages dates/times.

I already noticed it in some other occasions, the issue is normally because the stupid board software replaces the actual date with "today" or "yesterday", sometimes making absurds things, but evidently there is something else :ph34r: .

RIght now, I see your first post as posted on the 13th, and bhplt's post on "yesterday" (which here means the 14th), but according to your screenshot you posted the first post on 13 February at 12:11 PM.

You then edited it on 13 February at 12:12 PM.

bhplt then managed to reply INSTANTLY on 13 February at 12:11 PM (he COULD NOT POSSIBLY have posted at the shown 9:11 PM quoting something you would have posted for the first time 3 hours later :whistle: ).

You were cross-posting/cross-editing at the same time, all within one minute between minute 11 and minute 12.

jaclaz

LmoC.th.png

NOT really.

There is must be something buggy in the way the board software manages dates/times.

I already noticed it in some other occasions, the issue is normally because the stupid board software replaces the actual date with "today" or "yesterday", sometimes making absurds things, but evidently there is something else :ph34r: .

RIght now, I see your first post as posted on the 13th, and bhplt's post on "yesterday" (which here means the 14th), but according to your screenshot you posted the first post on 13 February at 12:11 PM.

You then edited it on 13 February at 12:12 PM.

bhplt then managed to reply INSTANTLY on 13 February at 12:11 PM (he COULD NOT POSSIBLY have posted at the shown 9:11 PM quoting something you would have posted for the first time 3 hours later :whistle: ).

You were cross-posting/cross-editing at the same time, all within one minute between minute 11 and minute 12.

jaclaz

I believe 12PM is the afternoon which would make his response roughly 9 hours later. Which makes sense, because I posted the original before heading off to lunch on the 13th.

EDIT: This also makes sense, because it is 1:19PM here, and it shows you posted at 12:24PM (afternoon not after midnight).. I am pretty sure the times associated with a post is based on the time zone you are in. This would indicate the time i posted the first message 9 hours later was the response, regardless of the time zone a person is in.

Edited by mchipser

I believe 12PM is the afternoon which would make his response roughly 9 hours later. Which makes sense, because I posted the original before heading off to lunch on the 13th.

EDIT: This also makes sense, because it is 1:19PM here, and it shows you posted at 12:24PM (afternoon not after midnight).. I am pretty sure the times associated with a post is based on the time zone you are in. This would indicate the time i posted the first message 9 hours later was the response, regardless of the time zone a person is in.

Yep :), confirmed. :thumbup

The real value "inside" your post is:

timestamp='1360779094'

Which should mean:

http://ibboard.co.uk/timestamp.php?timestamp=1360779094&tz=0

13/2/2013, 12:11 with GMT-6

whilst bhplt's post is:

timestamp='1360811499'

http://ibboard.co.uk/timestamp.php?timestamp=1360811499&tz=0

13/2/2013, 21:11 with GMT-6

jaclaz

Any Ideas why this would happen?

UNfortunately, NO.

You seem like having done everything to troubleshoot the issue, the only thing would be (long, and boring, and with no guarantee whatsoever of success) to run the update script after having removed a few updates from it, then restore, remove a few others until you don' t have the effect..

If you already installed all the updates one by one and you did not have that result, it must mean that is the combination of the updates and the script that causes the issue (maybe a timing problem of some kind :unsure:).

What you could further do (which I don't seem to see as listed in the attempts) is to uninstall the TCP/IP stack and related other services/protocols/whatever listed in the NIC interface, then uninstall the actual NIC card from device management and reboot.

But it is just a "semi-random" thought/attempt. :(

jaclaz

The other odd thing in this scenario is.. If i take a syspreped image of another system which has the updates and apply it to this POS it works fine.

Well that would confirm the guess about a strange timing issue (whatever it might cause it) on the specific system only when running the AutoIT.

IF this timing issue is connected to "software", if you restore to the "queer machine" a sysprepped image coming from another one BEFORE the update, maybe you can re-run the autoit successfully, if it's a hardware originated issue, you should not (unless it was a one-time glitch in the matrix).

jaclaz