Aero Glass Tweaker GUI for Win8 v1.3.2

ORelio

I made a piece of code allowing to know the process name of any window, and got "Aero Glass for DWM" popup attached to csrss.exe process. lol.

Anyway, studied that only because I was bored at the moment I found this.

Here is an update for AGTweaker, v1.2.2:

agtweaker122.png

[*] Changed advanced settings to fit the new Beta 2

[+] Added a status bar allowing to know which version is currently installed in C:\Windows

[+] Can detect version 0.7 and version 0.8, Otherwise "Unknown Version" is displayed.

[+] Added a button to delete the installed version of DWMGlass.dll

Getting very odd results from 1.2.2...

Regardless of whether using Native Blur or not, "Opacity" makes no difference to opactity but randomly (about once for every three attempts to adjust it) logs me out of Windows. "Blur" adjusts opacity upto about half-way - higher "blur" actually results in greater transparency but with what appears to be greater "colouring" of the blured items. After about halfway, borders are just a glaring, white blob.

(Using W8x64 - all standard, no hacks, patches or non-standard themes etc)

That's due to the way Direct3D is rendered by DWMGlass, not caused by AGTweaker itself :sneaky:

You are kicked from your logged account if dwm crashes too often, and restarting dwm by clicking OK or Apply in AGTweaker is considered as a crash by Windows.

Getting very odd results from 1.2.2...

Regardless of whether using Native Blur or not, "Opacity" makes no difference to opactity but randomly (about once for every three attempts to adjust it) logs me out of Windows. "Blur" adjusts opacity upto about half-way - higher "blur" actually results in greater transparency but with what appears to be greater "colouring" of the blured items. After about halfway, borders are just a glaring, white blob.

(Using W8x64 - all standard, no hacks, patches or non-standard themes etc)

It is because my AeroGlass utility does not allow to change the blur. Opacity can be set directly in Windows Control Panel (or via Colorization settings in registry).

That was my understanding and it begs the question - which values is AGT actually adjusting and by what range?

Also, whilst I understand that opacity is (probably best) set by adjusting "Colour Intensity" via Windows, that only affects "active" windows - inactive ones are not affected by the W8 Windows app.

Certainly don't mean to offend anyone but I can't help but think that the plot's been lost here - AG is not getting "better" - just "more clever" for the sake of it - and the constant changes to which hives and keys are being used coupled with the fact that BM still won't add update info to the first post in his thread (try finding anything amongst the 1,000+ posts - ain't easy) are making it impossible to carry-on testing AG.

AGT was a big help but even that's gone gaga with BM forever fiddling about with what can and can't be set and how those settings can and cant be made - no-one seems to know what's happening anymore and any questions asked about HOW to do anything are met with a barrage of geekspeak that doesn't actually answer simple questions like "how do you adjust transparency when "glasstransparency" is no longer supported?"

Seriously - BM is saying that D2D is no longer supported - at all - but his own download for beta 2 includes a file called "d2d1.pdb" - could that be anymore confusing?

Shame really.

All supported settings can be found in readme.txt which distributed with the archive. I think we already talked about it, there are no registry keys which you need for testing, live with that. Also, there is one simple thing - if you have a question "How to adjust ...." and you cannot find an answer, then just ask yourself "How would I adjust it in Windows 7?" :yes:

Also, d2d1.pdb does not have anything to do with rendering blur effect using Direct2D.

That was my understanding and it begs the question - which values is AGT actually adjusting and by what range?

Values are described here :

See the first post of the topic, and click on "for Aero Glass Preview" links to get bigmuscle's release notes for this preview/beta.

I hosted a mirror link for each preview and bookmarked the release notes as they were posted by bigmuscle.

EDIT: Yes, you may also see readme.txt

Edited by ORelio

All supported settings can be found in readme.txt which distributed with the archive. I think we already talked about it, there are no registry keys which you need for testing, live with that. Also, there is one simple thing - if you have a question "How to adjust ...." and you cannot find an answer, then just ask yourself "How would I adjust it in Windows 7?" :yes:

Also, d2d1.pdb does not have anything to do with rendering blur effect using Direct2D.

It's a bloody BETA version and you are running a thread asking for BETA TESTERS. Telling me to "read the effing manual" is ridiculous - because that information should be ON THIS FORUM and because the "read me" actually says NOTHING.

What's the point of telling us what "d2d1.pbb" DOESN'T do - why don't you tell us what it DOES do? It's perfectly reasonable for a person to question why a file with D2D in it's name is present in an app that - according to you - does use D2D.

Edited by Yzöwl
Last line removed!

It's a bloody BETA version and you are running a thread asking for BETA TESTERS. Telling me to "read the effing manual" is ridiculous - because that information should be ON THIS FORUM and because the "read me" actually says NOTHING.

What's the point of telling us what "d2d1.pbb" DOESN'T do - why don't you tell us what it DOES do? It's perfectly reasonable for a person to question why a file with D2D in it's name is present in an app that - according to you - does use D2D.

If your mind can't undestand something there, it's your problem. You are not a beta tester if simple things looks difficult for you. Leave us alone... Some peoples try to help one who work hard for us all, but not you...

Just the reason why some registry key exists (I think they are in EXPERIMENTAL section in Tweaker app). As I develop the application, I also study a lot of new internal things in DWM. As new things come, I try to implement new (and better) functionality which seems to be working perfectly for me. But I know that someone could have problem with this, so I add some secret registry keys. When I release new version and someone reports that something does not work in the same way as the previous version, this registry settings can be used to quickly discover whether the problem is caused by the new functionality. That's the reason for this registry keys and that's why they are not supposed to be set if everything works for you. If you enable the registry value, you simply degrade your version to previous one and thus it makes no sense to test it anymore.

I copied over the new files for 1.2.2 and glass BETA 2, but the GUI shows that I'm using BETA 1. Looks liek the GUI was upgraded successfully, but I see no difference .with the glass. Do I need to restart before it applies or...?

Use the button in bottom right corner to delete the installed DLL.

It will probably disable glass and say that's still in use, so restart your compurter (with glass disabled), re-launch AGTweaker and press this button again.

It should then display "Successfully deleted" and you'll be able to install the new one properly :)