Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass Tweaker GUI for Win8 v1.3.2

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

pengipete

pengipete

Junior

• Pip
  • 70 posts
It doesn't detract from ORelio's work to say that you've come up with some good ideas there. Besides, ORelio's been very open to feedback and suggestions since starting this and we've all benefited from that.

Even the big, commercial software producers have people who aren't necessarily programmers but are imaginative and very good at saying "wouldn't it be great if..." - then leaving the poor old programmers to work out how to make it happen.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Spectrus

Spectrus
  • 2 posts
I am having incredible difficulty getting this to work. Here are the steps I have followed:

• Download AGTweaker v1.3.2
  • Download Glass v0.9
  • Move DWMGlass.dll to AGTweaker folder, rename to DWMGlass64.dll
  • Run AGTweaker as admin, enable Glass and apply.

I've also tried running the LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs registry file after editing the path inside before trying the above steps. I've run through every Device Feature Level. I've tried Glass 0.8 to Glass 0.92.

The result is always the same, my screen flashes after hitting apply, but nothing changes. Help? :(!

Edited by Spectrus, 25 May 2013 - 05:13 AM.

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
it should be named DWMGlass.dll - put that and the tweaker in a dir named DWM on the c drive - it should work

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

I am having incredible difficulty getting this to work. Here are the steps I have followed:

• Download AGTweaker v1.3.2
  • Download Glass v0.9
  • Move DWMGlass.dll to AGTweaker folder, rename to DWMGlass64.dll
  • Run AGTweaker as admin, enable Glass and apply.

I've also tried running the LoadGlass__AppInit_DLLs registry file after editing the path inside before trying the above steps. I've run through every Device Feature Level. I've tried Glass 0.8 to Glass 0.92.

The result is always the same, my screen flashes after hitting apply, but nothing changes. Help? :(!

You did 2 doings to load dll - it's not good. Via AGT and via reg file...

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
Is your UEFI "Secure Boot" setting enabled in BIOS settings ? If so, you'll have to disable it as AppInit_DLL is disabled when secure boot is enabled.
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

Spectrus

Spectrus
  • 2 posts

Is your UEFI "Secure Boot" setting enabled in BIOS settings ? If so, you'll have to disable it as AppInit_DLL is disabled when secure boot is enabled.

I can't believe I missed that when reading through bigmuscle's post. Thank you for your help, and the tool. It's wonderful.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,944 posts

Donator

MS explained this in a KB article:

AppInit_DLLs in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
http://support.micro...b/2853424/en-us
Posted Image

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
I will try to fix this later and get rid of AppInit_DLLs thing completely. My plan is (together with making it win8.1 completely) to remove Direct3D hooking completely and call my code directly from DWM. This brings some problems (e.g. I will need to build vertex buffer from geometry data on my own or correctly apply clip regions etc.) so it will take some time and it is not the highest priority now.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

ByteHacker

ByteHacker
  • 4 posts
Aero Glass Tweaker GUI 1.3.2 With Activation manager

I really love how bigmuscle's Aero Glass for windows 8 makes my desktop beautiful.
I personally dont mind the popups that come every half hour or so.
But I really do mind when they start popping up at the most inconvenient moments like gaming

No one likes to have a popup block your sights when you are sniping in Battlefield 3.

I figured that I could just manually disable it every time I wanted to game , but this proved to be very annoying

Thats when I decided to make a manager to automatically disable and enable it during and after I game.

Note that this is a very very early alpha build, so there are many many bugs and is not suitable anything for more than testing

Completed:
-Add and remove user defined processes (eg. Battlefield 3 - bf3.exe)
-Enable/disable processes on start and exit

Work in progress:
-Save and load the list of processes
-Fixing the running in background notifications and functions

Upcoming features:
-Clear process labeling
-Better running in background optimizations
-Better source labeling and management for easier modification
-You name it!

Download link!: Click to download!

Posted Image

Edited by ByteHacker, 02 June 2013 - 04:46 AM.

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
Nice work. Note that you could have done a separate app that would call AGTweaker.exe with -enable or -disable argument.
This way if I provide an update to AGTweaker your tool will still work :)

ByteHacker

ByteHacker
  • 4 posts
I'll probably go work on that. I didn't know about the -enable and -disable functions.
Plus I am kinda new to C#. I have a few years of VB.NET coding though

CKyHC

CKyHC

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
Don't you think that it is not right to make utilites wich try to make beta(rc) version of program to working just as complite tool without permission of autor? I think it bad... Don't play with fire just wait...

ByteHacker

ByteHacker
  • 4 posts

Don't you think that it is not right to make utilites wich try to make beta(rc) version of program to working just as complite tool without permission of autor? I think it bad... Don't play with fire just wait...

I don't mean to disrespect the author.
I'm merely creating the tool to improve my coding skills and to also benefit those who would want a work around to the popups at inconvenient times.
If I wanted, I could always manually disable it.
But people always forget that the core purpose that programs were created in the first place was to automate labourious processes.

If you don't want to use it, I am absolutely fine with it. It's really your choice. If you think that popups help you remind yourself that you are still using a beta product then go ahead.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

He can do whatever he wants not to mention this doesn't even disable it. It just adds whitelist for games.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
I have no problem with it. If he does not infringe on my binaries (or its memory space), everything is ok. But on the other side, I guess that disabling/enabling is done via restarting DWM process which can force system to log out randomly, so if anyone wants to make his system unstable, he can use it freely.
Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
Yes, If DWM gets killed too often (for example by clicking Apply in AGTweaker more than 3 times per minute) you will be disconnected from your windows account and will have to log in again.
I'm also fine with ByteHacker's modifications to AGTweaker, I purposely provided the source code so that anyone can play with -- As long as it respects the CDDL license (credits, open source if modded version is published).

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

I think this is a good idea, this doesn't remove the notice at all unless you disable aero glass as well and has been the advice to all those that don't want the message to pop up, if they don't want the message then don't test the program, in this case, playing battlefield, then when you end the game you continue testing, this seems to be a great workaround and may stop allot of those people that complain about the message, I do agree with ORelio though, you should make this a separate app so it does not interfere with any future updates to AGTweaker.

Not sure how your program works though but a simple way to disable and then enable it again would be to move the DWMglass.dll to the temp directory then restart DWM, then after you game has closed move it back to the DWM folder and restart DWM again.

@ECHO OFF
REM Stop Aero Glass
SET PATH1=%SystemDrive%\DWM
SET FILE1=DWMGlass.dll
Move %PATH1%\%FILE1% %temp%\%FILE1%
taskkill /f /IM dwm.exe

@ECHO OFF
REM Start Aero Glass
SET PATH1=%SystemDrive%\DWM
SET FILE1=DWMGlass.dll
Move %temp%\%FILE1% %PATH1%\%FILE1%
taskkill /f /IM dwm.exe

Edited by MrGRiM, 03 June 2013 - 06:23 AM.

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

I decided to make a context menu shortcut to disable and enable Aero Glass, only problem is that you needed elevated privileges to run the batch files so it wouldn't work, I then found a way to use autoit instead and those can be run as admin, all it does is move the DWMglass.dll to a temp directory inside the DWM folder and restarts dwm.exe to disable glass and to enable it again it moves it back to the DWM folder, deletes the temp folder and restarts dmw.exe again.

The EnableGlass.exe and DisableGlass.exe files need to go in the DWM folder.

Download here http://www.mediafire...8ra7j6zvuglcbxs

If you want to know what is in the autoit exe here it is:

FileMove ( "C:\DWM\DWMGlass.dll", "C:\DWM\temp\DWMGlass.dll" , 8 )
Run('TASKKILL /F /PID ' & ProcessExists('dwm.exe'))

FileMove ( "C:\DWM\temp\DWMGlass.dll", "C:\DWM\DWMGlass.dll" )
DirRemove ( "C:\DWM\temp" )
Run('TASKKILL /F /PID ' & ProcessExists('dwm.exe'))

and the registry file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\Start Aero Glass]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\Start Aero Glass\command]
@="C:\\DWM\\EnableGlass.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\Stop Aero Glass]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\shell\Stop Aero Glass\command]
@="C:\\DWM\\DisableGlass.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\DWM\\EnableGlass.exe"="~ RUNASADMIN"
"C:\\DWM\\DisableGlass.exe"="~ RUNASADMIN"

DosProbie

DosProbie

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 684 posts

Donator

Was looking for a easier way to toggle DWM Aero On and Off quickly so I wrote this little batch file, just run it from your desktop when you need a quick way to disable aero (like playing games, and for all the whinners with the popups etc.) and when done you can just rerun to turn aero back on again, It Works off *DWM directory in C drive but you can always revise the path as needed..
Enjoy DP Posted Image Toggle Aero
*Requires DimasKid's Aero Glass installer @ http://j.gs/706437/aeroglasswin8

Edited by DosProbie, 09 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Nowonmai

Nowonmai
  • 5 posts
Should you ever go commercial with this program, I'll be more than happy to get it, as long as the nag screen goes away with it no longer being 'beta'. :)

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
I'm not responsible of the 'DEMO' popups, this is only the GUI and not the inner program.
But thanks for appreciating AGTweaker :)

drmohamed4070

drmohamed4070
  • 2 posts

help please

transparent but no blur after using it 

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
Be sure you are using the latest version of aero glass for windows 8.
I saw an installer here, try it: http://www.msfn.org/...ler-by-mr-grim/

drmohamed4070

drmohamed4070
  • 2 posts

ok thanks 

but after using this version blur appears but no transparency 

i update my windows also no transparency

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Donator

ok thanks 

but after using this version blur appears but no transparency 

i update my windows also no transparency

How can you see blur without transparency? you can only see blur if there is transparency.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN