Aero Glass Tweaker GUI for Win8 v1.3.2

ORelio

Hello,

I just subscribe for feedback.

AGT doesn't work for me. It crashes and I have many difficulties to remove the pop up of Aero Glass whic says we use this software at own risk (I click on Ok again and again and again... to finally have Win7 interface or nothing, just a PC who lose half of functionalities because they have been shutted down, normally ten about applications are in taskbar, after AGT, 2 remains).

Ex7ForW8 crashed too : I can only unlog but not rebbot or stop the computer.

Finally, it dosn't start with Windows (I bypass Metro and go directly to the desktop)

I joined the crash and debug logs taken from DWM folder if it can help...

crash.log.txt

debug.log.txt

Edited by MarcOo

Hmm, first of all, have you tried to use the Aero Glass Preview without AGTweaker ?

If so, does it work without AGTweaker ? If not, please report the crash & debug log to bigmuscle (not me)

If it works without AGTweaker, try to use the old dialog skipping method and disable the HideCMD workaround.

If you cannot shutdown your computer that's because the provided password was incorrect, so explorer.exe could not be restarted under your own credentials and has limited capabilities.

Note that the Start With Windows setting need administrator rights to be enabled, and the limited explorer cannot launch admin apps (UAC Prompt is not displayed and the app is launched as normal user)

To regain full explorer.exe capabilities, please log off and log back to your windows account.

... I Hope that this has helped you to find the issue.

Edited by ORelio

Orelio...

I believe there's a bug in V1.1.5.

The Aero Glass values that belong in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM are being created in and read from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\DWM by AGTweaker - so they are actually NOT being applied to Aero Glass. As far as I can see, that means that AG is always running in D2Dmode regardless of what AGTWeaker says (or "thinks") it is doing.

I've also found that - on my laptop, at least - the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM "folder" was completely missing - which I have reported to BigMuscle as a possible bug in his application.

Hmm, first of all, have you tried to use the Aero Glass Preview without AGTweaker ?

If so, does it work without AGTweaker ? If not, please report the crash & debug log to bigmuscle (not me)

If it works without AGTweaker, try to use the old dialog skipping method and disable the HideCMD workaround.

If you cannot shutdown your computer that's because the provided password was incorrect, so explorer.exe could not be restarted under your own credentials and has limited capabilities.

Note that the Start With Windows setting need administrator rights to be enabled, and the limited explorer cannot launch admin apps (UAC Prompt is not displayed and the app is launched as normal user)

To regain full explorer.exe capabilities, please log off and log back to your windows account.

... I Hope that this has helped you to find the issue.

Hi,

Aero glass works without AGT. I disabled HIDECMD and used the old dialog skipping method : it works. No problems.

If I enabled the HideCMD, I have the problems of log off whereas my account has administrator's rights and i don't have password (i never configure any password on my computer)

It stills doesn't start with windows. I think it is because the key is not in the good place in registry, I am under x64 and startup keys are in Wow6432Node (of HKLM or HKCU)

Edited by MarcOo

Ok, as I copied & pasted the regitry path from bigmuscle's post, that's probably due to a compatibility feature of Windows itself for 32-bits apps.

... but as the libraries used are 32-bits only I can't just recompile the app as 64-bits, this would not work :}

Thanks for the hint, found the article ! http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa965884%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

But I read this in the article :

"Registry virtualization is disabled for the following: [...] - Processes that have requestedExecutionLevel specified in their manifests."

AGTweaker contains a manifest, with the following statement : <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />

So Registry Virtualization should be disabled according to the article ... :huh:

Googling for Wow6432Node, found a stackoverflow question that gave an interesting answer :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11808462/avoid-registry-wow6432node-redirection - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.win32.registrykey.openbasekey%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

So using RegistryKey.OpenBaseKey(RegistryHive.LocalMachine, RegistryView.Registry64); should bypass the Wow6432Node key virtualization :)

Could someone that did have the Wow6432Node issue try this *TEST* build of AGTweaker ? : AGTweaker-1.1.5b.zip

1.1.5b correcttly reading and writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and if that "folder" is missing, it is created.

Note:- Don't know if it's intentional but if the "Use Direct2D" box is selected in AGTweaker 1.1.5b, the HLKM\....\Windows\DWM\UseDirect2DRendering key is deleted rather than its value being set to "1" (double-checked and the key is totally absent - it's not being created elsewhere in the registry). Aero Glass does switch to D2D and without that key present, it remains in D2D after being stopped and restarted - which suggests that it's running in D2D by default (so anyone who doesn't have the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM is not running D3D even if they think they are).

Glad to see that the registry issue is solved, thanks bigmuscle for the hint and pengipete for the feedback!

Yes, AGTweaker deletes useless keys, eg if the UseDirect2DRendering key is missing, D2D is used by default so AGTweaker deletes the key rather than setting it to 1.

This is designed to leave in the registry only the necessary keys, ie when you want to use values that are not the default ones :)

EDIT: Released 1.1.6, which includes the key virtualization registry fix.

Edited by ORelio

Nice one.

Just a suggestion though - might be best to leave the D2D key and just set it as required by BM's app - apart from anything else, there will be people who created the key manually and it's "bad manners" to delete their keys :)

I like the way you think though - cleaning up as you go along is admirable ;)

In version 0.5 was restored registry key "Disable logging", i think it must be in gui. Interest thing, that for leave logging enabled the key in registry must be "1".

ouch, this seems to be the bug in my application. When DisableLogging is set to 1 then the logging should be disabled. However, it is not a big deal because it is not recommended to touch this settings.

ouch, this seems to be the bug in my application. When DisableLogging is set to 1 then the logging should be disabled. However, it is not a big deal because it is not recommended to touch this settings.

Agreed )))) And because of it i not report a bug ))))

Edited by CKyHC

Nice one.

Just a suggestion though - might be best to leave the D2D key and just set it as required by BM's app - apart from anything else, there will be people who created the key manually and it's "bad manners" to delete their keys :)

I like the way you think though - cleaning up as you go along is admirable ;)

Both approaches are valid, I think the average user does not care about whether the key is there or not - he does not use the registry editor - so I chose to clean keys when they are unused. Your point of view is just as well, though.

Oh, so it was a bug. I thought you removed the ability to disable the log, but don't worry, AGTweaker automatically cleans the file on each startup when the "disable log" box is checked so the file does not grow indefinitely ... (I am decidedly a bit obsessed with cleanliness. lol.)