Asus P5QL PRO sata question....

Daytrader

If i installed win 7, would i still have to do all this flapping around ? or would all the correct drivers be installed while loading win 7 os.

Oh and i do trust you, but i just dont understand how asus can be so wrong, and all the 1000's of users useing this motherboard worldwide either, surely if the official sata drivers on there website and on the install disc that comes with the motherboard was wrong, know one would be useing this board with there sata drives.

Edited by Daytrader

No windows 7 include ahci support for most "old" intel chipset and ICH10 was launched in 2008 so it should be alright.

Manual slipstreaming an XP cd isn't that complex (you need to edit 4 files) as explained in the post i linked previously. And bonus as it is also the same intel driver, the work is already done, you only need to edit the specified files (extracted from the XP SP3 CD) modify them the put them back on the CD. After this step burn a RW media (in case you didn't do it properly) and boot from it after setting ahci in the bios of your MB.

Thankyou, right now dont shout at me :), and think im thick, but the intel chipset ich10 drivers is to make the 6 sata ports work on my motherboard correct ? so i would not have to slipstream the ahci or marvel drivers with nlite onto the cd as well ?

Oh, and is ide and sata in the bios the same speed really, i mean if i had sata drives conneted, and ide set in the bios, will i still get the 300 speed from my sata hard drive, and not just max 133 that ide drives give me, cheers

Edited by Daytrader

You should only need to slipstream intel ahci i linked before (choose the f6flpy-x86.zip as you're installing XP x86).

Extract from the zip file the files iaAHCI.inf, iaStor.inf and iaStor.sys. The two .inf files need to be modified then compressed using makecab. iaStor.sys also needs to be compressed using make cab.

The other files you need to edit are dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif (you need to extract them from the XP SP3 CD so slipstream the SP3 before).

Then you add back all five files in the XP SP3 CD in the i386 folder.

Yes the speed will be almost the same (more or less 15%), you won't be limited to 133MB/s (even if most hard drive won't allow such speed transfer). The benchmark i linked previously should show you the difference :

The ssd drives are only about 10% faster using ahci versus ide mode.

And the hard drives usually get less improvement when using ahci.

Edit: Answered the second question i didn't saw the first time.

Edited by allen2

Thank you again for your time explaining this to me, and if i went the F6 way of loading the drivers when asked, if i connected a floppy drive to my pc, would i just be able to copy the files iaAHCI.inf, iaStor.inf and iaStor.sys straight to the floppy and not have to add the 2 edited files, cheers

If you have a floppy drive, it's easier but not exactly like this.

You'll have to download the f6flpy-x86.zip and extract all files to the floppy drive.

Then set in the bios ahci mode.

Then boot the XP SP3 CD and press F6 when prompted and choose the ICH10 (not ICH10R) driver when prompted.

Then you should be able to see the hard drive and choose it for install.

The almost same method will work with the marvel driver (but as no sata port is connected to this controller on the MB you won't see any hard drive except if you connected an IDE)

Edited by allen2

So guys, am i right in thinking, if i install xp pro with sp3 slipstreamed into my install disk, and install useing my asus p5ql pro motherboard useing the sata port connected to my install sata hard drive with bios set to ide, i do not have to slipstream the sata ahci/raid drivers in if bios is set to ide and i do not want to enable ahci or raid in the future ? i mean will i still get the sata hard drive working to its 300 speed spec, i know it dont actually get any where near that, but i mean will i be getting the full benift from my connected sata drive compared to just a old pata/ata hard drive, i just want confirmation please / cheers

Thanks Jaclaz for discreting my post without having read the motherboard manual (especially the bios settings and the specifications):

The marvell drivers were stamped as sata driver but on this asus board the marvell controller isn't connected to any intern sata port as per the asus manual (or if read properly the specifications of motherboard).

As the specs also show ICH10 chipset as southbridge, you might also check intel to see how many sata port it support. The ICH10 is the "Intel® 82801JO I/O Controller" and it support 6 sata port (the same of sata port the motherboard provide).

Of course you can still say that may be asus connected some sata to marvel instead of ICH10 so you can try with them if you want but you'll end up most likely with your hard drive not being detected (or getting a bsod).

Actually I did not discret (nor maybe discredit) anything. I posted exactly what I posted.

That I did not understand your reference to ICH10.

AND stated how the motherboard support page has ONLY that "Marvell" file listed as SATA driver, and how I presumed that a motherboard manufacturer actually knows which drivers are needed for a motherboard they make AND provides the right drivers.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Now you explicited how, by reading info provided by the same motherboard manufacturer, it is clear (to you) how the drivers they provide are the wrong ones.

You might want to look for the bolded italiciized verbs in the above on a dictionary :whistle:

jaclaz

So what about my question guys :)

Which one?

So guys, am i right in thinking, if i install xp pro with sp3 slipstreamed into my install disk, and install useing my asus p5ql pro motherboard useing the sata port connected to my install sata hard drive with bios set to ide, i do not have to slipstream the sata ahci/raid drivers in if bios is set to ide and i do not want to enable ahci or raid in the future ? i mean will i still get the sata hard drive working to its 300 speed spec, i know it dont actually get any where near that, but i mean will i be getting the full benift from my connected sata drive compared to just a old pata/ata hard drive, i just want confirmation please / cheers

The answers to these ones has been already posted.

Yes, you *can* install to a SATA disk setting the BIOS in "IDE compatibility mode", it will work alright..

Yes, you don't *have to* enable AHCI in the future.

No, you won' thave the *full* benefit from your SATA drive if you use not AHCI, the difference between what you will get in "ide compatibility mode" vs. AHCI is not easily calculated, a number of factors may affect it, including the model/make of the hard disk drive, the controllers used, etc., etc.

And yes it is possible to install in "IDE compatibility mode" and only later "switch" to AHCI.

jaclaz

Using IDE mode will most likely make you loose between 5 or 10% if you benchmark the drive in both mode and compare.

In real world usage, you most likely won't see any difference.

@Jaclaz

Yes, guess what english isn't my first language and i am not anywhere near being fluent in english. But in the end, you understood what i meant.

Thx again guys, so even installing a new install of xp pro on my sata hard drive without intel/sata drivers with the default ide setting in my motherboard bios, it will still be like useing a sata drive and not a old ata/pata drive correct ? its just that i will loose a little because its not AHCI enabled, but still the bandwidth will be upto 300 and not just 133 limited of a old ata/pata drive, cheers