Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Asus P5QL PRO sata question....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,674 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

So what about my question guys :)

Which one?

So guys, am i right in thinking, if i install xp pro with sp3 slipstreamed into my install disk, and install useing my asus p5ql pro motherboard useing the sata port connected to my install sata hard drive with bios set to ide, i do not have to slipstream the sata ahci/raid drivers in if bios is set to ide and i do not want to enable ahci or raid in the future ? i mean will i still get the sata hard drive working to its 300 speed spec, i know it dont actually get any where near that, but i mean will i be getting the full benift from my connected sata drive compared to just a old pata/ata hard drive, i just want confirmation please / cheers

The answers to these ones has been already posted.
http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1030467

Yes, you *can* install to a SATA disk setting the BIOS in "IDE compatibility mode", it will work alright..
Yes, you don't *have to* enable AHCI in the future.
No, you won' thave the *full* benefit from your SATA drive if you use not AHCI, the difference between what you will get in "ide compatibility mode" vs. AHCI is not easily calculated, a number of factors may affect it, including the model/make of the hard disk drive, the controllers used, etc., etc.
And yes it is possible to install in "IDE compatibility mode" and only later "switch" to AHCI.

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Using IDE mode will most likely make you loose between 5 or 10% if you benchmark the drive in both mode and compare.
In real world usage, you most likely won't see any difference.

@Jaclaz
Yes, guess what english isn't my first language and i am not anywhere near being fluent in english. But in the end, you understood what i meant.

Daytrader

Daytrader

• 31 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13
Thx again guys, so even installing a new install of xp pro on my sata hard drive without intel/sata drivers with the default ide setting in my motherboard bios, it will still be like useing a sata drive and not a old ata/pata drive correct ? its just that i will loose a little because its not AHCI enabled, but still the bandwidth will be upto 300 and not just 133 limited of a old ata/pata drive, cheers

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Yes.

Daytrader

Daytrader

• 31 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13
Thx for confirmation, i hate being OCD over these things and asking the same sort of question over and over again, cheers for understanding.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,674 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
@dyatrader
BUT there is still a misunderstanding.
Do no confuse bus speed with actual device (or data transfer) speed.
Benchmark your disk (and possibly find a public benchmark of it and several other disk to make a comparison).

A SATA interface is credited for THEORETICAL:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Serial_ATA

2.1 SATA revision 1.0 - 1.5 Gbit/s - 150 MB/s
2.2 SATA revision 2.0 - 3 Gbit/s - 300 MB/s
2.3 SATA revision 3.0 - 6 Gbit/s - 600 MB/s

as always happens most of the hype is about the theory, any common 7200 RPM hard disk SATA 2 or SATA 3 will not be that much faster than a very fast SATA1 disk, as more or less the "saturation" of a mechanical hard disk is near the 150 Mb/s (and in day-to-day opreration what really counts is read times and "random access")

Check this:
http://www.computerw...our_SATA_speed_
and this (to have an idea how different settings with differnet disk drives may be largely different):
http://expertester.w...mark-advantage/

jaclaz

Daytrader

Daytrader

• 31 posts
  • Joined 18-February 13
Thankyou for that post, i will do some tests once i get my system up and running, i just wanted to make sure my new sata hard drive will still have some benifits connected to the sata port(even thou AHCI wont be enabled or sata drivers installed ) on motherboard over a old ide drive connected to the old ide slots, and allen2 confirmed it will be enabled as a sata drive still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users