KernelEx v4.5.2 flash 11.6.602.168

asdfg

Hi, i have a problem with kernelex v.4.5.3. i don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when i try to install flash player 11.6.602.168, the program says Error r6025 on crashes. i am using windows 98se. help would be appreciated.

Edited by asdfg

Download the portable version and after installing it, copy the NPSWF32.dll over the one in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Macromed\Flash or in the plugins folder of your browsers.

I have Flash version 11.3.300.268 working on this computer. I obtained NPSWF32.dll version 11.6.602.168 and simply replaced the older file with the newer one where it sits in the \SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH directory.

This file-substitution did not work. I got some sort of error message in FF2 when trying to bring up the Adobe flash-version/test page.

I thought that replacing the DLL file was all that was needed. No?

> This file-substitution did not work. I got some sort of error message in FF2 when trying to bring up the Adobe flash-version/test page.

> I thought that replacing the DLL file was all that was needed. No?

In the past, Yes. Make sure the new file is named just "NPSWF32.dll" without the version in the name.

What was the text of the error message?

> This file-substitution did not work. I got some sort of error message in FF2 when trying to bring up the Adobe flash-version/test page.

> I thought that replacing the DLL file was all that was needed. No?

In the past, Yes. Make sure the new file is named just "NPSWF32.dll" without the version in the name.

What was the text of the error message?

So if I substitute either of these versions: 11,5,502,149 or 11,6,602,168 of the DLL in place of what I had, and if I try to bring up a web page with flash content using either FF2 or Netscape 9, I get this error message (pops up in it's own window):

---------------

Title Bar: Illegal Operation in Plug-in

The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox.

( ) Don't show this message again during this session

[OK]

---------------

On Opera 12.02, flash appears to work - but instead of automatically rendering flash content on any given web-page, I get a big > symbol that I have to press to render the content. If I hover over the > I get this text on the bottom line of Opera: "Please click to download and activate plugin".

For example, when I view this page: http://www.investing.com/currencies/aud-usd-advanced-chart

Where the chart should be, I get a big > symbol that I have to click. Funny thing - I thought those graphs were done in java - but I guess they use flash. With the previous version of flash, the graphs just appear right away.

On this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

In section (1), when I press the > symbol, nothing happens (I don't see the ball rolling back and forth). In Section (2), when I press the > symbol, it tells me the flash version (11.6.602.168) and my OS (Windows 2000 32-bit) and the browser (Opera).

Do I have to do something else in these browsers to properly register or install these new(er) versions of flash? There seems to be more needed than just replacing the DLL file.

Oh, this PC has a socket-478 Intel P4, 2.5 ghz.

Hallo Nomen,

different Flash versions (for example 11.3 and 11.6) in the System\Flash folder and the plugin folder of the browser don't work.

If the Opera browser runs with comp. mode KernelEX enabled (default mode), make sure that the name of the Flash dll is "NPSWF32.dll".

If the Opera 12.02 or 11.64 browser runs with comp. mode Win2000SP4, make sure that the name is NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.dll (rename it).

All browsers look in its plugin folder first. If there is the corresponding name to the KernelEX mode it should work.

You also can paste the dll in the plugin folder only. There is no need to have one in the system\flash folder.

Firefox:

With spepecific comp mode "default mode" the name has to be "NPSWF32.dll".

Edited by schwups

On my computer, the only place where I have the file(s) NPSWF*.dll is:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\NPSWF32.dll

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

There are no such files anywhere else.

Opera says (under plugins) Shockwave Flash 11.6.602.168, located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\NPSWF32.dll

I realize that NPSWF32.DLL is also available (or also exists) as NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL (why that is - I don't know). If I add NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL to both of the above locations where NPSWF32.DLL already exists, nothing changes. Opera still places a > (play) symbol where flash content exists on web pages, forcing me to press the > symbol to "play" (render) the content. And nothing changes for FF2 - I still get that error message when I bring up the same web-pages with flash content.

I seem to recall that I tried this same thing (replacing the flash DLL file) the last time I upgraded the flash version - and it didn't work, and I ended up running the installer, and that's how I got the current version (11.3.300.265) to work.

Also - I don't know if you're supposed to see "Flash" show up on the FF2 add-on screen (Tools -> Add-ons) but I don't see Flash showing up there (I don't recall if I ever did). But a copy of the DLL does exist in the Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ directory. So if FF uses the flash plugin from that directory, then why would FF be messed up if I change the flash DLL file in the SYSTEM\MACROMED directory?

Edit:

So I removed NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL from:

And I restored NPSWF32.DLL version 11.3.300.265 to both those locations, and FF2 and Netscape 9 are happy and Flash works for them.

I then added the file NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\NPSWF32.dll and FF2/Netscape 9 stop rendering flash content. They don't give any errors - they just don't render flash.

Can anyone explain that?

Edited by Nomen

I realize that NPSWF32.DLL is also available (or also exists) as NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL (why that is - I don't know). If I add NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL to both of the above locations where NPSWF32.DLL already exists, nothing changes.

So I removed NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL from:

And I restored NPSWF32.DLL version 11.3.300.265 to both those locations, and FF2 and Netscape 9 are happy and Flash works for them.

I then added the file NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\NPSWF32.dll and FF2/Netscape 9 stop rendering flash content. They don't give any errors - they just don't render flash.

Can anyone explain that?

Don't paste the same Flash file with different names in the same folder and don't use different versions at the same time!

Note that this renaming and re-registering of Flash files by Adobe affects both versions, the DLL used by Mozilla/Opera, and the OCX for MSIE.

I usually search for ... npswf*.* and *flash*.ocx*

Examples ...

Flash.ocx

SwFlash.ocx

Flash32_11_4_402_287.ocx

Npswf32.dll

Npswf32_11_2_202_233.dll

The problem is also in the registry where it is possible for different names to be in different keys.

FYI ... The last time I did an audit I found Flash entries in the following keys, which may not be all inclusive because I may not have searched the Expand_SZ values ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{1171a62f-05d2-11d1-83fc-00a0c9089c5a}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{75d44b92-dcaf-43f3-a7d1-91041f34e719}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{c1145550-a454-11d4-9020-00d0b7239081}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{c1145550-a454-11d4-9020-00d0b7239081}\ToolboxBitmap32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{c1145551-a454-11d4-9020-00d0b7239081}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{c1145551-a454-11d4-9020-00d0b7239081}\ToolboxBitmap32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}\ToolboxBitmap32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb70-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb70-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}\ToolboxBitmap32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{57a0e746-3863-4d20-a811-950c84f1db9b}\1.0\0\Win32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{57a0e746-3863-4d20-a811-950c84f1db9b}\1.0\HelpDir]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{57a0e746-3863-4d20-a811-950c84f1db9b}\1.1\0\Win32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{c114555b-a454-11d4-9020-00d0b7239081}\1.0\0\Win32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{d27cdb6b-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}\1.0\0\Win32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerActiveX]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 8\Current\Flash\Files\SwFlash\Filename]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 8\Download\Flash\Files\SwFlash\Filename]

Also note that I found ACL's were altered on the following keys by the flash installer ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Macromedia]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{a483c63a-cdbc-426e-bf93-872502e8144e}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{d27cdb70-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Interface\{e3f2c3cb-5eb8-4a04-b22c-7e3b4b6af30f}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{d27cdb6b-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib\{fab3e735-69c7-453b-a446-b6823c6df1c9}]

I realize that NPSWF32.DLL is also available (or also exists) as NPSWF32_version_number.DLL (why that is - I don't know).

I then added the file NPSWF32_different_version_number.DLL to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\ and FF2/Netscape 9 stop rendering flash content. They don't give any errors - they just don't render flash. Can anyone explain that?

Don't paste the same Flash file with different names in the same folder and don't use different versions at the same time!

How does Mozilla FF/Netscape know to look for both types of files?

How do they know to look for NPSWF32.DLL *AND* NPSWF32_version_number.DLL ???

Why would they look for both types (both names) for the flash DLL file? What tells them to do that?

Why does the flash DLL exist with both types of names? What purpose does that serve?

Why would they look for both types (both names) for the flash DLL file? What tells them to do that?

Why does the flash DLL exist with both types of names? What purpose does that serve?

They call registry keys which contain the file locations ( see list above ). Consider them pointers to files on disk.

These keys get created or refreshed when the DLL or OCX is self-registered ( when flash is installed or updated ) and then it loads a set of registry keys using that particular filename and location. Registering a DLL or OCX can also often be done just by doubleclicking it, and that location right there is what will get stored in the registry keys ( until the next time one gets self-registered ).

One problem is that you can easily wind up with different filenames ( old and new ) in different keys. There are other version mismatch problem possibilities also.

IMHO, the best thing to do is a thorough Flash audit of each type, both on disk and in the registry. Do the file search mentioned above npswf*.* and *flash*.ocx* ( including hidden etc ) and also search the registry. The registry is a little tricker, because in the live REGEDIT it will require multiple passes to catch all the filenames ( two minimum: flash and npswf. Same thing for a REG export ( unless you know how to do complex regular expression text searches ). Be prepared for a lot of false positives.

They call registry keys which contain the file locations ( see list above ). Consider them pointers to files on disk.

How can the registry keys exist for a brand new file that I drop into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MACROMED\FLASH\ ???

I didn't "install" the new version of flash. All I did was drop NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.DLL into the macromed\flash directory. So how can Mozilla FF/Netscape know that it exists? It can't be present anywhere in the registry, because I didn't install that version (didn't run the flash installer) and I didn't register it manually using regsvr32.

And (I ask again) why do these flash DLL's exist as both NPSWF32.DLL *AND* NPSWF32_version_number.DLL ??? Why does Adobe create / distribute them using dual-names like that? Who else (what other company) has ever distributed / installed new versions of DLL files by including the version_number in the name of the file?

You keep talking about the ocx files - I don't care about the ocx files because I don't care about IE6 or how flash works (or doesn't) with IE6.

The registry has an entry to the folder. Files are searched for in the directory.

Some programs load dependancies based on a file name pattern, such as "NPSWF32*.DLL", then load the highest-ordered search result. Chances are rather high that the original NPSWF32.DLL is being overridden by the .dll with the most recent patch date and version. (That said, they could also use it for base shared functions, but it isn't likely.)

This is all part of a program distribution model aimed at rapid, common patching. It's certainly wasteful, taking more disk space and bandwidth than simply patching files. That said, replacement is faster and more foolproof; they don't need to concider things like permissions, read-only access, running programs, or unloading resources. It just works the next time the program is loaded. Plus, if they do need a regression you probably already have the file.

The registry has an entry to the folder. Files are searched for in the directory.

Some programs load dependancies based on a file name pattern, such as "NPSWF32*.DLL", then load the highest-ordered search result.

From here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash

They describe this change when the file-name for the flash plugin began to include the version number. This started with flash version 11.2 (March 2012).

How it is that Firefox 2.0.0.20 (released Dec 2008) has some "awareness" that when it loads the flash player, that it must search the specified directory according to a pre-set pattern, interrogate each file that matches the pattern, and load the newest version of NPSWF32_version_number.DLL ?

Or is there some other "middle-ware" piece of software between FF and NPSWF32*.DLL that is doing the searching / loading?