Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vjott

Jailbreak for Windows RT

8 posts in this topic

Desktop apps. There is a jailbreak for Windows RT, and a number of desktop apps for it.

Hmm...I hadn't heard of this before. So the full desktop can run in Windows RT? I'm guessing all the executables need to be compiled to run on ARM processors?

Non-WPF .Net 4/4.5 applications will run unmodified, but everything else needs to be recompiled, yes.

Desktop apps. There is a jailbreak for Windows RT, and a number of desktop apps for it.

Don't get your hopes up. Microsoft said somewhere that it will patch away the jailbreak.

Don't get your hopes up. Microsoft said somewhere that it will patch away the jailbreak.

No they didn't, they said they wouldn't guarantee it'd be there forever. Since it wasn't patched last Patch Tuesday I have no reason to believe they have any intention of patching it.

Just because it's not high priority doesn't mean it won't happen. They could choose to file a bug fix for it and go fix it whenever they see fit.

The bug that was used was reported to them (I believe) 3 years ago and has existed since Windows 2000, if they were going to patch it they would have. They've already announced that it's not a security issue for them and not a concern.

But it's a bigger deal now because Windows RT is supposed to not be able to run non-microsoft apps. Thus, people who activate this hack are vulnerable to threats from the mainstream Windows 8 that the author could have ported to ARM.

I would guess that if Microsoft thinks jailbreaking would improve Windows RT sales, they'll probably choose to leave it.