Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guano26

Massive Event ID performance errors & Boot loop

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am hoping for some help with a problem on my laptop. I recently posted this problem on the “Trace” forum, but there, Andre (WOOT! What a great resource he is) tells me that the ‘trace function” can’t help me.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong spot to post such a question.

I am having some terrible problems with coming out of shurdown/hibernate/standby. When I try to do so, the laptop gets stuck in a boot loop. It then take a few minutes in that loop before the laptop finally boots normally--sometime. Othertimes I have to unplug the computer, remove the battery, wait 20 minutes and the hold down the power button. Sometimes that shortens the boot-loop period to only a minute or two. Windows 7 "Performance event" Event Log states that I have numerous Event 200, 201, 203, 300, 301, 302, 351 warning and errors, a few of them which are "critical."

All of this started some time last November. Not sure what changed, but I have searched and searched and searched for answers, but no luck. I am at the limit of my own technical knowledge (which, admittedly, is being quickly outpaced by technology).

Here is roughly what I have tried:

**I have disabled standby.

**I have updated my BIOS.

**I think I have problems with the display adapters (ATI Radeon HD 3200), which required that I install the CCC drivers and programs. This may be a source of the problem? I recently uninstalled the CCC program and am not using it.

**I have no malware that I know of. I used Symantec Endpoint Protection (Andre just recommended that I uninstall it, so I did) and run scans at least weekly. I also enable (and disable when done) the PC Tool "Spyware Doctor" and Spybot S&D to run those weekly also. I think I am clean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two quick things:

**I cannot upload the Zip files, since they are too large, but I can upload files thorugh Dropbox. I have a short video (dig camera) of the boot-loop if desired.

**Is there other information about my system that might be needed?

Again, sorry if I am posting in the wrong area.

Thank you.

Pic of Performace Errors.doc

those beeps you get are a hardware issue.

The standby trace told me that it is fast (less than 1s to resume)

Update:

Andre, you are too kind....

Well, the laptop won't come out of the boot-loop anymore. It is stuck looping. That is a worse situation than before, where at least then the laptop started after a minute or two or three or four.

What I am trying to determine is:

1) What the problem might be (power-supply? motherboard? something else?);

2) Should I forget this laptop and work to find a new one (it is a Gateway MD2400 from 2009)?

Also, because I heard partial beeps near where the hard drive was located, earlier today I unscrewed the cover and pulled it out. I then started the computer without the drive. The booting sequence never got to the point where the hard drive might engage--it just kept looping.

I have a short video (digital camera) of the boot-loop in my Dropbox if anyone might be able to offer some assistance.

Thanks again for your help.

if the system has still issues, it is not the HDD. Looks like a Mainboard issue.

Hi,

Yes, Andre, it appears as though you are correct (again... :yes: ). Your comment that it must be hardware related pushed me to further investigate power supply issues and boot-loops. What I am experiencing was detailed exactly on other websites.

I tested the power adapter--no problems. Then I tested the power supply--problems! With the laptop plugged in, I pulled out the battery and tested the battery connections on the laptop itself--no power. Looks like I got bigger problems than what I thought initiated with drivers.

This topic can be closed.

Thanks again Andre. You are great! I really do appreciate your help.

With the laptop plugged in, I pulled out the battery and tested the battery connections on the laptop itself--no power. Looks like I got bigger problems than what I thought initiated with drivers.

you can try to open it and see if the connector, where the power supply is inserted, has issue (bounce or it is crooked).