NovaStar

[Solved] Win 8 Pro Won't install Stand-Alone Updates

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8 Pro. 64-bit.

Windows update works fine, no problem there...BUT... When I download a stand-alone update (from the Windows download center), it will NOT run/open/install the downloaded stand-alone updates (*.MSU files).

I've also looked under the " Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs " and the associated file type/protocol has changed to UniversalExtractor.

I've uninstalled it - it didn't help.

Even tried to associate it to the Update Installer (wusa.exe), which of course got a popup saying " it cannot be associated with this program ".

same goes by trying to associate with pkgmgr.exe and/or msiexec.exe association (by trail & error) didn't work either.

(hoping to avoid a windows 8 refresh that will also destroy everything already installed except the store app's).

ANY help to resolve the matter will be greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,

Me.

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8 Pro. 64-bit.

Windows update works fine, no problem there...BUT... When I download a stand-alone update (from the Windows download center), it will NOT run/open/install the downloaded stand-alone updates (*.MSU files).

I've also looked under the " Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs " and the associated file type/protocol has changed to UniversalExtractor.

I've uninstalled it - it didn't help.

Even tried to associate it to the Update Installer (wusa.exe), which of course got a popup saying " it cannot be associated with this program ".

same goes by trying to associate with pkgmgr.exe and/or msiexec.exe association (by trail & error) didn't work either.

(hoping to avoid a windows 8 refresh that will also destroy everything already installed except the store app's).

ANY help to resolve the matter will be greatly appreciated.

With Utmost Respect,

Me.

When I do all my Standalone .msu updates I just put them all in a folder called updates with the following wild card updater batch file that I right-click and run as administrator.

(also check first in services that Windows updates is enabled and running)

If that doesn't work try a system restore..good luck

@echo off
color a
mode con cols=60 lines=4
echo Installing Windows 8 Updates..
:: UPDATES
:: Scan and Echo .msu files during install..
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir/b *.msu') do (

echo == Installing Updates == "%%a"
echo.
:: DELAY
ping -n 4 localhost 1>nul
echo.
:: INSTALLS
start /wait wusa %%a /quiet /norestart
)
echo.
exit

Edited by DosProbie

I'm using it for a while and now with version 1.10 it also works in Win8 and replaces this ugly "Metro" dialog.

If you right-click the file, and choose Open-With, you should see Windows Update Standalone Installer as an option. If not, you can select "Choose Default Program" and should be able to select it.

Hi again,

ALL done.

Tested the batch file AND installed that app... view reverted back to the old way like I am used too, and it doesn't even give me the reg metro ugly style (or any style lol) for the already known types.

Thank You both...Works like a charm :D

Hi again,

ALL done.

Tested the batch file AND installed that app... view reverted back to the old way like I am used too, and it doesn't even give me the reg metro ugly style (or any style lol) for the already known types.

Thank You both...Works like a charm :D

Glad you got it all Worked out.. You can add [ Solved ] to your title block to help out the next guy ..